Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Bass

Options
  • 13-05-2011 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a recipe for sea bass fillets please? And maybe how to cook the fillets?

Nothing spicy as the family don't eat spicy food.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Cooking wise, fried is great. Bit of olive oil in the pan, medium heat. Season the fish then cook skin side down for a couple of mins. (As the fillets go in the pan, hold down the fish so it doesn't curl.) Then flip the fish and cook for another minute.

That should do it. Perhaps a squeeze of lemon on.

I'm sure there is better recipies out there.

Edit: Link to an older thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055815826

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Swampy wrote: »
    Cooking wise, fried is great. Bit of olive oil in the pan, medium heat. Season the fish then cook skin side down for a couple of mins. (As the fillets go in the pan, hold down the fish so it doesn't curl.) Then flip the fish and cook for another minute.

Edit: Link to an older thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055815826
    Thank you so much, I don't (m)any of the items required for those recipes in though unfortunately :(

I'll have a look in the cupboards and see what I have.

Here's what I have the press/fridge, I won't get to town before next week (prob Thursday or Friday).

Basil, organo, rosemary, thyme, parsley, mixed herbs (all in jars/tins).
    Nutmeg, garlic granules, paprika (non smoked), mild chilli powder, mild curry powder.
    Ground cumin, cajun, tomatoe puree, tinned and fresh tomatoes, 1 lemon, sea salt, black pepper.

Dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, mayonaisse (normal) and garlic mayonaisse.
    Vegetable/Beef/Chicken cubes.

Garlic, onions (red and white). potatoes. carrots, celery, mushrooms, eggs, flour, tomatoes (tinned and fresh), white vinegar.

Can anyone recommend another recipe with any of those ingredients please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I agree about frying the sea bass.

If you have never fried a fillt of fish, here is a fool proof method.

Dip the fillets in flour and shake off the excess.
    Heat olive oil and butter in a pan. Dont put the fish on the pan until the oil is hot.

Put the fish flesh side down for about 2 minutes, until the sides are a little coloured. Turn over and finish for a minute.

Sea bass is thin, it does only take 3/4 minutes max to cook, so use a timer the first time if you are not sure

Heres an idea for a sauce,

Warm tomato vinaigrette
    (Serves 4)

3 tomatoes , peeled, deseeded and chopped
    1 tsp freash tarragon, chives, or basil
    1/2 small onion, very finely chopped
    85ml olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice

Mix the ingredients in a small pan and heat gently until warm, not hot.
    If you dont have fresh herbs, I dont think dried will do in this case, as they wont cook. You could use a small amount of the top of scallions very finaly chopped instead.

Dont over cook and the tomatoes are not supposed to cook to a mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

http://www.rte.ie/food/2007/0613/seabass.html

PurpleB this is one I do a far bit and its quite straight forward and tasty. Be careful with the timings as overdone (or underdone too) sea bass is not the best. If you can get it anywhere around the right doneness (the range is not too tight) then its one of the nicest fish you can do in my view.

Best of luck! You have plenty of suggestions above to choose from too so let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the help everyone.

I'm using Swampy's recipe tonight, will report back and let you know how it goes.

Swampy wrote: »

Went with this recipe, chopped up some garlic and cooked it in the pan with fish, put some sea salt and black pepper over the fish and it is delicious.

Will definitely be making this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

huskerdu wrote: »
    I agree about frying the sea bass.

If you have never fried a fillt of fish, here is a fool proof method.

Dip the fillets in flour and shake off the excess.
    Heat olive oil and butter in a pan. Dont put the fish on the pan until the oil is hot.

Put the fish flesh side down for about 2 minutes, until the sides are a little coloured. Turn over and finish for a minute.

Sea bass is thin, it does only take 3/4 minutes max to cook, so use a timer the first time if you are not sure

Heres an idea for a sauce,

Warm tomato vinaigrette
    (Serves 4)

3 tomatoes , peeled, deseeded and chopped
    1 tsp freash tarragon, chives, or basil
    1/2 small onion, very finely chopped
    85ml olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice

Mix the ingredients in a small pan and heat gently until warm, not hot.
    If you dont have fresh herbs, I dont think dried will do in this case, as they wont cook. You could use a small amount of the top of scallions very finaly chopped instead.

Dont over cook and the tomatoes are not supposed to cook to a mush.

NOooooooooo! The skin would be all soggy this way. There is nothing better than nice crispy sea bass skin.

Purple, no need for flour or anything, seabass is quite a strong textured fish. Lots of salt on the skin and then place skin side down on a med to hot oiled pan until the sides start curling up and until the skin is nicely crisp. Then flip over for like a minute just to brown the flesh side and you are done.

Pop in some butter into the pan and squeeze some lemon in with parsley and spoon over the fish. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Kimia wrote: »
    NOooooooooo! The skin would be all soggy this way. There is nothing better than nice crispy sea bass skin.

Purple, no need for flour or anything, seabass is quite a strong textured fish. Lots of salt on the skin and then place skin side down on a med to hot oiled pan until the sides start curling up and until the skin is nicely crisp. Then flip over for like a minute just to brown the flesh side and you are done.

Pop in some butter into the pan and squeeze some lemon in with parsley and spoon over the fish. Yum!

Horses for courses.

I dont find the skin is soggy but I am not bothered .Many people dotn eat the skin so not an issue. I prefer the flesh side to get a nice golden crust.

Either way, it's a lovely fish.

Advertisement