Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Legal requirements for a 96 Camper van

• 13-05-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to buy my first campervan. Investigating a 1996 Fiat Ducato. Just trying to understand do we legally need to do a DOE every year? My understanding is that we will need the engineers report for Dolmen insurance as a once off. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks
    JP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it a coachbuilt or a conversion. For a conversion you'll need an engineers report, but not for a coachbuilt iirc

Currently there is no specific legal requirement to have a DOE on you're camper, but that loophole will be closing sometime in the future. its no harm to have it done really.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

It is coachbuilt. Dolmen did request an engineers report for vehicles older than 15 years. Looks like I will have to do that but might get away with a DOE until it becomes a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 alexfernie

We bought a 96 coachbuillt earlier this year and also had to give Dolmen an engineer's report in advance of them insuring the vehicle. They were happy to accept the DOE report.

The DOE inspection also reassured me as to the condition of the chassis and general structural safety of the vehicle before I bought it, even though it failed on a faulty horn which was easily repaired and retested/passed for free within 10 days.

The DOE inspection won't tell you every fault with the vehicle but will highlight safety/structural issues. Not bad for €78 or so. As I understand it, at present campervans/MH only need to be DOE'd every 2 years, though that is a matter of some debate on this forum and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

alexfernie wrote: »
    We bought a 96 coachbuillt earlier this year and also had to give Dolmen an engineer's report in advance of them insuring the vehicle. They were happy to accept the DOE report.

The DOE inspection also reassured me as to the condition of the chassis and general structural safety of the vehicle before I bought it, even though it failed on a faulty horn which was easily repaired and retested/passed for free within 10 days.

The DOE inspection won't tell you every fault with the vehicle but will highlight safety/structural issues. Not bad for €78 or so. As I understand it, at present campervans/MH only need to be DOE'd every 2 years, though that is a matter of some debate on this forum and elsewhere.
    where are you going to put all the lights and flight cases?? did you buy an i for williams for the back of it?;)

Advertisement