Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf Bus

Options
  • 13-05-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Looks like a handy wee service is starting up between dublin Lahinch and Dublin Strandhill

http://www.surfcoach.ie/

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

you sure that's the url ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

sounds like a great idea-- i would definitely would use a service like this from galway to bundoran (although i would prefer to go a lot earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Oops, the surf coach was an old one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Looks like a great service.Bring forth the masses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Seems like a great idea???

What about the poor already long suffering locals!!!
    **** everything about this

Low Pockets we will agree to disagree on this one, when I started out it was a case of begging for a lift or taking a board through town onto a train and than either a taxi or local bus to strandhill. It was a major pain in the ass, this is a great idea for students and people starting out or who can't afford a car these days

Both strandhill and lahinch have triving surf industries and this service should provide them with more clients or at the very least these people will spend money on the local ecomany as they will have to eat and sleep local to use the service.

This is unlike most surfers who bring their own food and sleep in campers and cars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Ye you are right, nobody should surf in Lahinch besides people who live in Lahinch, it makes perfect sense. The local area is rich enough without a thriving surf industry for a start. There are jobs left right and center, they don't need the extra hassle of having to provide services at a profit to all these 'outsiders'. The local community is also perfect just the way it is with its lovable boy racers and scumbags hanging outside the chipper they don't need this rough element who are only into the surf scene cause its cool and makes it easier to get their fancy ganja weed.

The local rippers do deserve that beach break all to themselves after all as its not like they would ever travel to any of the numerous intermediate breaks around that would actually challenge their skill level anyway.

Seems like a great idea??? What about the poor already long suffering locals!!!
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    Ye you are right, nobody should surf in Lahinch besides people who live in Lahinch (...) around that would actually challenge their skill level anyway.

i also agree with PeakOutput-- poor locals should be the only ones to surf their waves (like in any other part of the world)-- either you live at the place or better choose another sport...

... speaking of living in the place, i'm thinking of getting my car lowered to screw up completely the suspension-- loud pipes save lives-- i'll totally ditch my job for local one (no matter whatever it is) to make sure i'm close to the waves-- i'll suppose then i'll be able to join the locals in our strike agains people going on busses to enjoy OUR waves that belong to LOCALS--

and if they don't, then by all means, i'll do this on their asses...

ouch-- i can see future brighten up for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Keep it civil please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

~They live there and don't need to take the bus but if they are in collage in dublin it could come in handy - go home to see the mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Holly smokes! That's support of local businesses! The money I save on diesel will be spent in local hostel or B&B, dinner and some drinks. Now who is complaining about that? Locals? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

People can express a preference. If I am asked do I want waves at my local to be busier because some one has set up a bu$ delivering up to 50 people there, straight up the answer is no. The fact that it brings more business to an area is a silver lining to a dark cloud - but you still WANT sunshine.

How long before the organi$er$ / user$ get pissed off with arriving to Lahinch / Strandhill when it is flat / onshore and begins to offer a trip to a break a few miles down the road where conditions are better? The organi$er$ will follow the money. That is how it is. Fair play to Low Pockets for speaking out honestly.

The proposed pier development at Doolin will bring more $$$ to the area, more jobs. It is also going to damage a surfing environment. Anyone see a parallel. The argument that we should allow development, whether it be a pier or a bu$ $ervice to the breaks, just because it will bring money is a dangerous one. The surfing environment is one that needs careful balance, you cannot just keep throwing numbers of surfers / developments at it and expect it to absorb it with no effects.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The proposed pier development at Doolin will bring more $$$ to the area, more jobs. It is also going to damage a surfing environment. Anyone see a parallel. The argument that we should allow development, whether it be a pier or a bu$ $ervice to the breaks, just because it will bring money is a dangerous one. The surfing environment is one that needs careful balance, you cannot just keep throwing numbers of surfers / developments at it and expect it to absorb it with no effects.

I really don't see the comparison between a huge lump of concrete plonked into the water and a bus carrying people to two of the most busiest beaches in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

People can express a preference. If I am asked do I want waves at my local to be busier because some one has set up a bu$ delivering up to 50 people there, straight up the answer is no. The fact that it brings more business to an area is a silver lining to a dark cloud - but you still WANT sunshine.

How long before the organi$er$ / user$ get pissed off with arriving to Lahinch / Strandhill when it is flat / onshore and begins to offer a trip to a break a few miles down the road where conditions are better? The organi$er$ will follow the money. That is how it is. Fair play to Low Pockets for speaking out honestly.

One argument against the pier is that surfing bring year round tourism to the area. But here you are openly saying you don't want the buisness. For F-S you are part of the WCSC, if they put forwarad an argument you should be supporting it. Choose which do you want? A weekend surf bus and a case against the pier or no surf bus and no case againt the pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭ted1

localisim sucks, lets face it it's a small island, ever where on the island is local to people.

i really don't get why its confined to surfing. imagine it was everwhere in socity. we could ban all non D reg cars from roads in Dublin. we could prevent all non locals from buying property in Dublin. those feckers from the country they come to our city and work in our offices, play football in our parks, score our women in coppers.

really anybody who gives out about non locals need to take a big dose of reality.

as i've stated before, good surfers shouldn't be sharing the waves ith non good surfers. that is a good sufer will be out back and a not so good surfer will be in the surfing the broken waves.

One argument against the pier is that surfing bring year round tourism to the area. But here you are openly saying you don't want the buisness. For F-S you are part of the WCSC, if they put forwarad an argument you should be supporting it. Choose which do you want? A weekend surf bus and a case against the pier or no surf bus and no case againt the pier.

Look, simple as this; I, like most surfers, WANT the water as quiet as possible. I do not WANT to share waves with bus loads of car-less pros / surfers / kooks / weekend-warriors etc.

Your selective pick-and-choosing regarding arguments forgets / ignores that the prime argument against the proposed pier works at Doolin is that it will damage the wave / surf environment - hence the opposition. The fact that surfing brings in money is secondary. SpaceHopper, you are naive if you think that;
    Choose which do you want? A weekend surf bus and a case against the pier or no surf bus and no case againt the pier.

Do you genuinely believe that arguing against the 'surf bus' removes all argument against the proposed pier works? Have you any understanding of the extent of the arguments put forward against the pier?

My first instinct in both cases is that anything that damages the wave / surf environment, I am against. I cannot understand how a surfer could feel anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

My first instinct in both cases is that anything that damages the wave / surf environment, I am against. I cannot understand how a surfer could feel anything else?

because increased traffic at a beginners beach does not do any damage accept to a few people with too much angst. easy access to good beginner surf spots does nothing but help the sport

• Advertisement

This is getting quite off topic, however
    easy access to good beginner surf spots does nothing but help the sport

Except when beginners are drifting into quality breaks, paddling out where they have no business.

Anyways, go back to my original post on this matter. My points were about where this is likely to head and as to whether anyone really WANTS to have to share a break with masses of others, whether it is a nice easy 2 - 3ft clean lahinch left or not. I do not. Nor do I want surf busses to turn into surf tours ferrying people up and down the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Grand business idea for the summer. But come winter this surf bus will sink faster than the titanic.

If done correctly I'm sure it'll work as plenty of adverture groups base themselves in Lahinch and Doolin, also will be pretty handy if you want to go to the islands with the new peir, so should be plenty of people availing of the service

Have to say it also saddens me to keep reading about the local ****, surfing isn't just about the surf but also giving something back to the local community in the places you surf, if that means keeping the local coffee shops/resturant/B&B's & pubs afloat during hard times, all the better:D

Just hope the so called vocal local is secure in their employment and their is a future for there kids

Look, simple as this; I, like most surfers, WANT the water as quiet as possible. I do not WANT to share waves with bus loads of car-less pros / surfers / kooks / weekend-warriors etc.

And I WANT to marry Scarlett Johansen but you don't hear me complaining. Seriously that argument sounds like a 16 year old girl who's daddy won't buy them a pony or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If you want quite water have a bath eh. Your name is not on the wave. The townlands surrounding these beaches are not named after you.

Its localism that ruining the sport more than people wanting to try it out. Its not just a west coast sport.

Small towns, Small minds

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

There's already a public bus service going to Strandhill from Sligo town frequently if i'm not mistaken, well theres no harm in 1 or 2 busses of this type in the entire country in fairness how many people will just go specifically to go to a surf school ... most i'd imagine, it's not like they ll be out on cornish or mobbing the reefs of sligo on you, its a bit harsh to shoot it down so much guys no need for it in this economy. Its someone trying to earn a days wage its not corporate surf bus.ie just some lad with a bus.With this attitude you'd shut the surf shops if you extended that logic a wee bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

This bus will be very handy for some people and is a great idea.

Anybody who knows what they are doing in the water is surfing out the back with the other capable surfers.

The beach breaks can be crowded, but its just beginners getting in the way of beginners, and they dont care coz they are learnng.

If a surfer is out back and not able for it he/she wont last long, but everybodys gotta start somewhere so be pleasent..

The atmosfear in the water is mostly good i find these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

IMO, Lahinch is not a nice place to surf.

Between Localism and Beginners it's just a pain in the ass. To be honest I have more tolerance for the beginner who strays out onto the reef because we all had to make that step. At least that surfer is out there having fun, enjoying themselves. When you get that **** localism vibe out on the water it just ruins it for everyone. More beginners/ Kooks please.

I don't see what the big deal is about 50 extra surfers. How often does Lahinch really pump? Not that often imo, or not often enough that I would consider going there before any where else........plus they are mostly lefts, who want's that... honestly!:D

Great Idea and I hope it works well for them. Anything that brings more people West is a positive. And to all the locals.... I'm sure the service will stop in time for the winter swells....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Anybody using this? I heard of a new surf bus that's meant to be a bit cheaper that offers much the same service to Lahinch from Dublin. Cant find any information about this, maybe its not started up yet. any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I got the Surf Bus at the weekend, It was great, got us to Lahinch in about 3hours. About 25 people on board. Most were just going for the weekend, a couple of serious surfers, 2 brought boards. I'm not much more than a beginner myself. Got a 20% discount on rentals with Lahinch Surf Experience with my ticket. Everyone in lahinch seemed delighted with the service, We used to get the bus many moons ago, it took 8 hours, spoke to the organiser he said he'd been going to Lahinch for years and realized that apart from driving it's near impossible to get to.

All the crew in Lahinch were in favor of it, know alot of the boys from Emerald surfwear who would be serious surfers and they were all for it.

Gonna take the Surf Bus to Bundoran in a couple of weekends, there was great surf, too much for me to be honest

Advertisement