Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coloured hair. As in blue or pink etc.

• 13-05-2011 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

tumblr_lirwv8nHue1qefuqeo1_500.jpg

Ok so I came across this image a while ago and while googling soon found this video:

I am in love with this. I've seen people with colour in their hair before but it always looked very...stripy, if you know what I mean. Could anybody tell me how I could do this (not the fishtail just the colour) obviously, in the video they use some sort of extension but I don't know anything about them. How long do they last? Where would I get them? Do they have to be put in professionally? Is there any way a dye (prefferably on semi-perm.) could be used to get the same sweeping affect? I think that's what I mean...they kind of work with the lairs, like sweep in with them...or something. :P

I'm sorry, this is a terribly rambley post, my knowledge of hair is lacking at best, but if anybody can help me out I'd be grateful! :)

Oh, and in case it matters my hair is almost blonde (not quite), quite thick and pretty wavy. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think hair extensions would probably work best to give a very tight concentrated look. I remember getting these in a place called Cowboys and Angels but it was back in 1999/2000 so things might have changed! It used to be really popular in my school to get these strands in your hair.

Extensions can last up to 3 months but you have to be careful with them of course; brush gently etc.

I would think it would be better to get them done professionally so they can get the placement right. You can get glue or micro rings normally and for such a few, it probably doesn't matter which type.

If you wanted to try it yourself I'd say you'd need to peroxide the sections you wanted to bleach out all colour and then brush the dye on. Bright colours like that are almost always semi perm I believe but they will also start to fade quite quickly and will need to be topped up. If you don't re dye, they might not look great as you'll be left with this really faded strands with a vague hint of colour.

Cool look by the way! :)

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

You can buy clip in extensions in any good hairdresser/suppliers alternatively, its very very simple to streak your own hair but you will need to brighten up the blonde first and the hair colour can be bought online or in any Sally Salon Services suppliers for about 6-8euro a bottle. My own hair is Hot Pink but the maintenance is a pain in the ass! Well done on thinking outside the box though, that hair idea looks great x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 whereismysheep

I regularlay dye and colour my hair 'mad' colours. I ahve brown hair to begin with, and the colours dont take well to dark hair. you ahve to bleach the hair you wish to colour with blue/pink/orange/spotted (joke) first then apply the colour over it.

There are many different makes of colour you can get for this. and they all wash out and are easy to dye over if you dont want them anymore.

the best imo on teh market is specialFX which you cant get in shops over here sadly, you have to order off the internet;
    http://www.beeunique.co.uk/
    this last a long time in hair,which is why i use it.

Otherwise terrisales on abbey street sell the colours too, crazy colour is sold in a pink bottle and is good enough. and theres another in a clear moisturiser type bottle taht they sell, for teh life of me i cant rememrb teh name of it.

If your going to do this, then you bleach your hair, and after that when your applyign teh colour, you shapoo your hair, make sure its clean and all shampoo is washed out. you then towel dry your hair, and apply the colour like a conditioning mask. and you leave it in for 20mins (I usually sit for as long as possible with it in my hair, up to 2hours at one point.)
    You them shampoo yoru hair again, you will see alot of colour come out in teh water, but dont panic! your hair will hold alot of colour.
    i have to apply colour after every 4/5 washes. but everyones hair is different. and with teh special FX dye, its every 2/3weeks. it lasts AGES.

You can also buy bleach in terrisales on abbystreet :)

Now you just ahve to pick what colour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

the clip in ones with the flat base are brill mine were from cowboys and angels too I have blonde ones and bright red they look great as they just flash through your hair.

If you did it on your own hair and its dark you have to bleach it first and then put the dye over it star gazer dyes have amazing colours you can get them in asha in stephens green and lots of other places

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Stargazer dyes are useless, wouldn't have anyone buy them tbh. You can get Crazy Colour in Terrisales, and that'll do the job.

You can either bleach your hair (I've used the Jerome Russell B Blonde 30vol one in Boots, costs about €7 and does the job nicely) and then dye over the bleached bits with your semi-perm Crazy Colour.

Or you can buy clip-in extensions in a hair shop (or ebay) and even dye them yourself.

Have a look here for ideas: http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Op could you get a friend to help you?

Perhaps tie it up like the pic and them to tease out the strands that will look good?

Get some of those tiny bobbins (you could use elastic bands but they pull hair..). Tie the selected strands at the root. Then take the hair down to make sure those strands look good that way to.

When the hair strands have been selected get something like tin foil(*) to act as a barrier when bleaching to avoid bleaching other areas. Place the strand in the tin foil and apply the bleach as far down as you can but avoid the scalp. Then twist the foil in a way keep it in place when the hair is developing.

Select your colours (as mentioned star gazer is a bit crap.. I like their reds but the brighter colours don't stick that well. I've used a good few different ones special effects is good, as is manic panic and jeans colour. First time using crazy colour recently and I mixed it a revlon colour bomb to get the colour I was looking for. Happy enough with the result have to keep applying the colour bomb every time I shower though to keep it vibrant its a copper red and they never stay put for long). get some fresh tinfoil out again to keep the different colours contained. Should be alight to wash out all at the same time.

As mentioned make sure you don't have a heavy conditioner in your hair.. this can prevent the colour taking.

Or the extensions route is a very very good idea. This way you can take them out if it happens you don't like it after all.

Advertisement