Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For Fecks Sake

• 14-05-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭

A year of cycling in the city centre and I never had any bother. I'm out in the 'Briggan about 2 months and twice now I've been knocked off my bike. I was on the way to Tesco and had a high-vis jacket and front and rear 0.5W lights. Just as I was coming out of the estate and onto the main road a teen ran out into the middle of the road, looking behind him and straight into the front wheel/fork of my bike.

The bike went out from under me but thankfully I landed on my feet. The young fella essentially tripped over it at full speed and looked like he hurt his ankle. The front wheel is completely buckled and there is something up with the front brakes, I haven't checked them properly yet. As I was off to the shops I was on my €99 POS and not the good bike.... thankfully.

I was very surpised with their reactions as there was a huge group of them and they were concerned for me and the state of the bike. The young lad that had been chasing the fellow that hit me assumed responsibility for the situation and gave me his phone number (yes I rang it there and then). He mentioned that he had a few bikes at home and he was sure that there'd be a wheel from one of them to fit my bike. I'll send him a text with the dimentions in the morning and see what happens.

So there we go. Twice in two months, less than half a kilometre from my house and honestly both times neither were my fault. I'm almost thinking about packing it in!!! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

I was very surpised with their reactions
    I know what you mean. I'd be pretty apprehensive in that type of situation. They sound like a decent bunch however.
    I'm almost thinking about packing it in!!! :pac:
    Don't pack it in! Just work on the telepathy ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TBH none of us are immune from this - something is going to happen to all regular cyclists at some time, be it the fault of the cyclist or someone else

I guess the key is to learn from your experiences and try to anticipate danger (and plan what to do in various scenarios - for example do you go straight through a large pothole or try to swerve round - your decision can be heavily infliuenced by the traffic around you)

Anyway, don't be disillusioned - these things normally come in 3's so another one and you should be clear for a while:D

Seriously though - keep it up - you will not regret it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There are many positives in your story.

If you'd have been driving a car he might be in hospital.
    If him and his mates had been scumbags you might be in hospital.
    If your bike had been equipped with Mavic R-Sys you might be in hospital.
    If your bike had been equipped with Lightweights one or both or you would be bankrupt.
    If you had both been slightly sub-critical masses of Uranium 235 Balbriggan would now be a massive crater and NCD would be a nuclear wasteland.

Look on the bright side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

Lumen wrote: »
    If you had both been slightly sub-critical masses of Uranium 235 Balbriggan would now be a massive crater and NCD would be a nuclear wasteland.

Only one of them would have to a slightly subcritical mass of uranium 235. The other only has to be massive enough so that the total mass is critical. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Only one of them would have to a slightly subcritical mass of uranium 235. The other only has to be massive enough so that the total mass is critical. ;)

and bringing them together at running speed would only result in a criticality incident, not necessarily a detonation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 keno111

I've stumbled into an episode of the big bang theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

keno111 wrote: »
    I've stumbled into an episode of the big bang theory

I hate that show.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hate that show.

Booooooooo,
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was surprised to see that Liz Bonnin is only 34, since I remember her graduating from TCD in 1992. Must have been only sixteen or so when she graduated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    There are many positives in your story.

If you'd have been driving a car he might be in hospital.
    If him and his mates had been scumbags you might be in hospital.
    If your bike had been equipped with Mavic R-Sys you might be in hospital.
    If your bike had been equipped with Lightweights one or both or you would be bankrupt.

Look on the bright side.

Lumen you have a beautiful mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well fair play to the young buck. He called over with a spare wheel today. I didn't have any spanners at home so I suggested he take it away with him and return it when done. He thought that would be Sunday but he came back later in the evening with a new wheel on the bike.

A teen taking responsibility for his actions - I am impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Wow. Very impressive. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Only a year and a half past my teens now and I'd probably have done the same.
    I think people look down on us young'ns a bit much.

We're not all out to stab people and box Garda.:rolleyes:
    Fair play to him all the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A year of cycling in the city centre and I never had any bother. I'm out in the 'Briggan
    Just count your self lucky you don't live in Skerries. I've been the victim of attempted murder with a car twice in that stinkhole. on the same day within 5 minutes of each other.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just count your self lucky you don't live in Skerries. I've been the victim of attempted murder with a car twice in that stinkhole. on the same day within 5 minutes of each other.
    Funnily enough I do, and have never had any problem in the cycling capital of Fingal

But please guys, this is not a town slagging competition - please be a little more careful with your choice of words

Thanks

Beasty

Advertisement