Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA!

Options
  • 14-05-2011 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

I want to go there next year for at least three months and hopefully renew my visa and ultimately settle there, somewhere like Colorado.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado

I know it's probably asked all the time, but what's the best way to go about doing something like this?

Where should I apply?
    Should I hold some form of qualification if I intend on working?
    Is it easier to be granted a visa if you're a student?
    What's a j1?

Anyway thanks, much appreciate any helpful information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If you have a hundred grand to spare, find a pub or b&b to buy. That'll get you a instant green card because you'll qualify as an investor in the community. That's probably the easiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Marry an american even then you have to do interviews etc...

or look into companies here in Ireland that will send you to the usa.

Usually you need to work for company here 1 year before you qualify for a 7 year plus visa - You then have 7 years to get a green card if with a company they might help you obtain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

whiteboy wrote: »
    I want to go there next year for at least three months and hopefully renew my visa and ultimately settle there.

Renew what visa? If you mean the Visa Waiver program, you cannot extend it nor can you work on it. I would recommend entering the Diversity Visa Lottery.

J1 and student visas are easily granted, but you cannot get a greencard/ settle there via it. What qualifications do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Nevore wrote: »
    If you have a hundred grand to spare, find a pub or b&b to buy. That'll get you a instant green card because you'll qualify as an investor in the community. That's probably the easiest way.

I think it's a minimum of $500,000 although given the exchange rate at the minute that probably is about E100,00 ;)

A J1 is a temporary work visa, it comes in a few different forms and depending on whether or not you are eligible for it it can allow you to work in the US for anywhere between a few weeks to 18months.

To be eligible you must be either a current student at a higher level institute, a recent graduate (within the past 12 months) or have at least 5 years work experience in your field (with a corresponding job already arranged in the US).

The DV lottery is just that, a lottery. If you win it will allow you to get a green card which will allow you to live and work in the US, then again if you win the national lottery you'll have the aforementioned $500,000 to invest in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

spideog7 wrote: »
    I think it's a minimum of $500,000 although given the exchange rate at the minute that probably is about E100,00 ;)
    Just had a look. There's actually no minimum amount, but any project involving less than 100k "will face greater than normal scrutiny".

Advertisement