Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I watch RTE Player at Uni?

• 14-05-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Hey, I think this may be the right sub-thread.

In Uni when I'm trying to watch RTE Player and other streams it won't load at all. I understand the Uni itself may place restrictions on what websites you can watch, but is there anyway for me to watch RTE Player?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Why not contact your university IT department and ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If your location is anything to go by then you have your answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

qwertz wrote: »
    Why not contact your university IT department and ask them?

Yeah that was plan B.
    If your location is anything to go by then you have your answer

Nope, most shows on RTE Player can be watched world-wide.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

It's pretty common for large organisations to block video streams with proxy/ web filtering software to save bandwidth. As another poster said, the simplist way to find out is to ask ICT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DocToxic

If I had to guess, you college probable only allows traffic on port 80 (standard internet port) and RTE player might use a different port.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When it comes to security the golden rule for a long time in colleges and big organisations is "That which is not expressly permitted is denied"

but ask the IT dept

Advertisement