Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you LOVE about Galway?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I miss Galway... I lived there for a year two years ago before moving to Scotland for uni. Galway is the greatest city in the world... seriously. You can keep your New York, London, Paris and Rome.... there really isn't anywhere like galway city.

I used to love walking around on a tuesday night and enjoying the atmosphere. A boisterous and lively city, but one that you never felt unsafe. I wouldn't walk around dublin at 12am just for a wander, but I always felt as though in Galway you could. I used to love the docks and walking out the pier (by where the ice-rink is every christmas).

I was going to call this 'I miss Galway, but I thought i'd ask (I dunno if theres been a thread like this before, but for purely euphoric reasons I don't care)... So what do you LOVE about Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Chrussell2 wrote: »
    I miss Galway... I lived there for a year two years ago before moving to Scotland for uni. Galway is the greatest city in the world... seriously. You can keep your New York, London, Paris and Rome.... there really isn't anywhere like galway city.

I used to love walking around on a tuesday night and enjoying the atmosphere. A boisterous and lively city, but one that you never felt unsafe. I wouldn't walk around dublin at 12am just for a wander, but I always felt as though in Galway you could. I used to love the docks and walking out the pier (by where the ice-rink is every christmas).

I was going to call this 'I miss Galway, but I thought i'd ask (I dunno if theres been a thread like this before, but for purely euphoric reasons I don't care)... So what do you LOVE about Galway?

Vines snackbox, that Clare and Connemara are so close by and that succeeding here can be as easy as doing your job well because most just do their to the point they won't get fired. Huzzah. Also most recently the throngs of easy women...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Just regards always feeling safe.

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of <snip> around the city last few months? Coming up and starting on you. I wouldn't exactly feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I love Galway because I always feel safe here, as many have pointed out. I also think Galway is a nice size. Small enough so that you can walk from one side to the other in 10-15 minutes, but large enough that there's plenty of pubs and loads to do if you want to meet up with a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

As with the others the feeling of safety relative to other cities. I'm from Galway but live in Dublin and you're always on the lookout there for some junkie/degenerate scumbag - it's something I never experience at home.

The Prom/Galway Bay are incredible. Galway's best assets I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I love the fact that we have a city that is so close to some of the most unique views in the world, we have places like connemara and clare within an hours drive, headin out to places like that is the best cure you can have if you are feeling down. I also love that we are fortunate enough to have events like the arts festival, these type of events promote music and culture which are important to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

It's simply a very easy place to live, good nightlife, small enough that you can walk most places, lots of festivals for stuff to do. The two colleges also mean the place feels like it has a pretty young population, so gives it a good energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

UrbanSea wrote: »

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of <snip> around the city last few months? Coming up and starting on you. I wouldn't exactly feel safe.

I certainly don't feel intimidated by them (I grew up in Limerick after all :P ) but I have definitely noticed them as well. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Love Galway. The people are amazing. You rarely hear of serious assault or murders. I never got into scraps except for one time (other guy was Scottish). I honestly feel as if I could walk from Eyre-square to Barna without any problems which you can't say for a lot of counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Wouldn't describe it as a city but I love that it's trying to be a city while retaining the small town vibe.

Love that it's beside the sea too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

UrbanSea wrote: »

I feel pretty safe in Galway but i agree there is definitely a bit of a scumbag increase over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

drum! wrote: »
    I feel pretty safe in Galway but i agree there is definitely a bit of a scumbag increase over the last few months.

I agree with everyone. The Prom. The nightlife. The festivals. The Bay. The proximity to Clare and Connemara. The friendliness. The smallness.

And then some skanger throw shapes at me outside Easons on Saturday night just before midnight. He was looking for a fight but thankfully my (rugby playing) mate jumped in and pushed him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The Women, I swear, some would easily rival any of the "top" women. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

The theme music

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Steyr wrote: »
    The Women, I swear, some would easily rival any of the "top" women. :)
    yeah right
    heads up their arses

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Predalien wrote: »
    It's simply a very easy place to live, good nightlife, small enough that you can walk most places, lots of festivals for stuff to do. The two colleges also mean the place feels like it has a pretty young population, so gives it a good energy.

+1 to all that, except I'd change nightlife to varied music scene.

But what I really love about Galway is Mr justMary ... wouldn't still be here without him! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

JustMary wrote: »
    +1 to all that, except I'd change nightlife to varied music scene.

But what I really love about Galway is Mr justMary ... wouldn't still be here without him! :D

And the Buses! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

The Prom and proximity to the sea is a big thing I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 onmyperiod

I love the people and the sense of culture that is almost tangible as you stroll down shop street, particularly during the summer months. What a beautiful place and what a privilege to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

I love that I can walk around Galway at night and feel safe. And I love the atmosphere, especially around the square on a hot day or during any event.

Advertisement