Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine conservation

• 14-05-2011 8:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Can a 13-metre long beastie, all tentacles and suckers, be a conservation icon for our time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wondermonkey/2011/05/is-the-giant-squid-the-new-gia.shtml

This article explores the possibility of using the giant squid as an emblem, in much the same way as the giant panda has been emblemised and used as a symbol of conservation by the WWF.
    The giant squid would become the giant panda of the seas; a single species that captures the imagination, and stands for the world in which it lives.

The comments after the article suggest using the killer whale, as the black and white would immediately bring to mind the panda emblem, others have suggested the blue whale.

For me personally, the giant squid would be perfect. I remember reading about "the myth" of the giant squid. To me, it represents the fact the we really know next to nothing about the deep seas. Making it even more important that we protect the habitat.

The other creature I think would be ideal would be the leatherback turtle. They're so cute ;), and most people are already aware of their plight.

So what do you think of the use of the Panda in the first place? It has been suggested that efforts are being made to conserve a creature who just does not want to be conserved. What do you think of using the giant squid to represent efforts made around marine conservation? Would a squid badge urge you to give money as quickly as a badge of something cute? Would you "adopt a giant squid"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have to agree with you, the Leatherback turtle would be great, everyone knows of their plight.
    Also something you may not have thought of, kids everywhere will know the cute turtles from finding nemo (which disney will market to generations of kids, for many years to come).

As for the panda's, I don't think that battle will ever be over sadly, but there are many other species that benefit from the work they have done with pandas, and the publicity they've brought to conservation.

There are some absolutely amazing creatures in the sea, and I'm sure there's much more to be discovered, but I think any emblem needs to be easy to recognize and well known to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

mymo wrote: »
    Also something you may not have thought of, kids everywhere will know the cute turtles from finding nemo (which disney will market to generations of kids, for many years to come).
    No I didn't think of that - never saw the films. My under the sea childhood character was Sebastian. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Surely something that has to be taken into account is the likeyhood of elevating any species as a status symbol increasing it's appeal to poachers? The leatherback turtle would surely be one of the species that this could happen to more so than the giant squid. For me I think one of the lesser known penguin species would fit the bill (although they may not be instantly recognisable to some as a marine animal, or the pacific seahorse would also make a great emblem :D

Edited to add link with stunning seahorse pics.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/visitsealife/5120177621/in/photostream/

Advertisement