Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burrata Cheese

Options
  • 14-05-2011 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there's anywhere in Dublin that sells Burrata Cheese? It's a type of mozzarella with a cream/mozzarella centre - amazing in a Caprese Salad :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrata

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Hey there, "The Best of Italy" sell it in sometimes Ranelagh. It's just a short walk from the Beechwood Luas stop. Maybe just ring in advance to see if they have it.

I had it in Florence last year, stuff is amazing.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

diddlybit wrote: »
    Hey there, "The Best of Italy" sell it in sometimes Ranelagh. It's just a short walk from the Beechwood Luas stop. Maybe just ring in advance to see if they have it.

Thanks - just phoned them but they don't have it at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Plates wrote: »
    Thanks - just phoned them but they don't have it at the moment :(

Aw that's a pity. Maybe try ringing Sheridan's, I've never seen it there, but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I read an article in the New York Times about it a while back, it's so hard to get outside of Italy so it's become a speciality in the US. It goes off quite quickly so doesn't travel well.

I admire your tenacity in finding great cheese. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is that Little Italy place in Smithfield still open? They supply to a lot of the Italian Restaurants and Delis and are open to the public too, might be worth a try.

Is that Little Italy place in Smithfield still open? They supply to a lot of the Italian Restaurants and Delis and are open to the public too, might be worth a try.

Thanks - just tried them - but they don't stock it :(

The search continues.....

• Advertisement

Tried Sheridans - none of their suppliers stock it. Unless I try to make it myself - don't think I'll get to recreate the simple but delicious dish below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68x3zNCnKg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Oh Good GOD that sounds amazing. Lemme know if you find it somewhere! I'd love to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

K & C Norton

donalh087 wrote: »
    K & C Norton

They don't have it listed on their site - and they're a wholesaler :(

http://kcnortonfoods.ie/products/cheese/italian-fresh-cheese-c-295_310_326.html?page=1&sortby=products_name&p=shop

It's not listed - but they do sell it! I buy a case a week. If you are ever in Kinsale let me know. As it happens they are actually out of it this week but give them a ring and ask what retailers they sell to. They are also very accomadating people so I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't sell you a small amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've heard mention that Carluccio's stock it from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

Fallon & Byrne?

I have tried to make this myself and is not too difficult if you are feeling adventurous.

Buffalo milk being difficult to source - i just used standard full fat cows milk.

The creamy centre - is just unset mozarella curds with added cream

I wrapped up the set buratta in steamed leek leaves (set to look like a parcel) as small Christmas presents

I believe Little Italy will have these in on the Fri 16th of Sept.

donalh087 wrote: »
    I believe Little Italy will have these in on the Fri 16th of Sept.

Thanks Donal. Hopefully my search is coming to an end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

And I've also heard on the Twitter that Carluccio's will have it tomorrow.

dudara wrote: »
    And I've also heard on the Twitter that Carluccio's will have it tomorrow.

Excellent - I've just tweeted them - fingers crossed they can hold some for me. Thanks for the tip off.

Finally found some :D - in Best of Italy in Ranelagh - they had it on special on Sunday - only 1 Euro each!

Had it with tomatoes, basil, olive oil and balsamic on Sunday night - and on a ciabatta with parma ham (finished under a hot grill for 1 minute) last night. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

How much of it would you use weekly.?
    I could get it for you..!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement