Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female hare disturbed left young hares

• 14-05-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Morning,

was walking through the garden this morning through a section with long grass.

A hare jumped out in front of me and ran off. When she was gone I noticed there were 3 baby hares in the long grass. They are fairly small about the size of an adults fist.

Will they be ok and will the mother return? We came back to the house and haven't been out for the last hour. No sign of the mother.

Should we stay in or is it ok to be out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I think that's normal hare behaviour - the mother will leave the young a lot, and maybe by running away she's trying to lead you away from them. They rely on staying hidden. I'd leave them alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

She will be back, best not to even go look to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

I believe hares only feed their young 2/4 times a day as the milk is so energy dense. If you could stay away hopefully she'll move them somewhere else during the day or tonight.
    Good excuse not to cut the grass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

thanks for advice. have left them alone all day.

Best excuse I ever had not to cut the grass!!

Advertisement