Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hildegarde vs Padraig

Options
  • 14-05-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Interesting goings on in local Galway politics this week.
    Anyone else think that the placing of that portrait of the fragrant Hildegarde smack bang in the middle of this week's Advertiser front page was as close to an endorsement as you can get?
    And don't even start with Hilary Martin's 'Oranmore Gals' editorial in the Independent on Wednesday.

Can Hildegarde do it or are Galway Boardsies in thrall to Padraig?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

This crap goes on every week in Galway, look at the other problem in relation to the vote on the Development plan where Cllr Connolly was asked to leave a meeting for disagreeing with the plank of a mayor.

They're the most incompetent, petty and idiotic bunch of muppets, but they are govt workers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

This crap goes on every week in Galway, look at the other problem in relation to the vote on the Development plan where Cllr Connolly was asked to leave a meeting for disagreeing with the plank of a mayor.

They're the most incompetent, petty and idiotic bunch of muppets, but they are govt workers

I know Hildegard personally and it would be worth giving her a chance. It would be nice to see someone under 50 as mayor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

They're not "govt workers"!!!

We ELECT them!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Connemara people run Galway, always have had. Of course they should have a better chance of getting the Mayoralty than Oranmore people. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Interesting goings on in local Galway politics this week.
    Anyone else think that the placing of that portrait of the fragrant Hildegarde smack bang in the middle of this week's Advertiser front page was as close to an endorsement as you can get?
    And don't even start with Hilary Martin's 'Oranmore Gals' editorial in the Independent on Wednesday.

Can Hildegarde do it or are Galway Boardsies in thrall to Padraig?

I read that and there's no mention of Oranmore anywhere in the article. Care to elaborate?

From reading the local papers and hearing things from people in the know, it seems very underhanded of Conneely and Fahy, especially considering how he objected to Mulholland being put forward against him in 2008, when he was "next in line" himself for mayor. Strange how his tune has changed now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Zzippy wrote: »
    I read that and there's no mention of Oranmore anywhere in the article. Care to elaborate?
    They're both from Oranamore - may even have been in school together? Not sure about the latter.

Zzippy wrote: »
    They're both from Oranmore - may even have been in school together? Not sure about the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

They're both from Oranmore - may even have been in school together? Not sure about the latter.

Why should Conneely get the mayoralty again, he had it about three years ago. Why not give Hildegarde a chance, she is young, intelligent and a woman with a good future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

So... the Oranmore bit is a bit of a red herring, then, isn't it?

Perhaps one young woman who happens to write a column in a local paper wants to give another young woman, who happens to have the cojones to get involved in politics rather than giving out about things, a shout-out.

You know, some women actually want to see a young talented woman given a chance to change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Perhaps one young woman who happens to write a column in a local paper wants to give another young woman, who happens to have the cojones to get involved in politics rather than giving out about things, a shout-out.

You know, some women actually want to see a young talented woman given a chance to change things.

Some women don't see Naughton as talented and some women don't care if she's a women or not and rate her on her politics........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Well then why didn't they come out and vote for her in the elections? They had every opportunity in the world to give her the chance to prove herself then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Well then why didn't they come out and vote for her in the elections? They had every opportunity in the world to give her the chance to prove herself then.

If it was Conneely vs Naughton in the election then I suspect she'd have walked it. But it wasn't, so, apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Have Galway City COuncillors the national record for infighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

, she is young, intelligent and a woman with a good future.

Says who?

Says who?

Which bit are you questioning? I've met her. I can verify that she is young, intelligent, and a woman. The good future bit hasn't happened yet, but she's definitely capable of achieving success.

And after all that - it appears she's going to be the next Mayor after all - at least according to the Galway Independent facebook page about 10 minutes agao.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Still... it's nice to see women cheering one another on, isn't it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Still... it's nice to see women cheering one another on, isn't it?

It's nice to see men or women cheering for someone regardless of that person's sex. Supporting someone based on sex alone is moronic, juvenile and outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Mactard wrote: »
    It's nice to see men or women cheering for someone regardless of that person's sex.

Agreed!
    Mactard wrote: »
    Supporting someone based on sex alone is moronic, juvenile and outdated.

I wouldn't go that far. Whether nature or nurture it happens all the time.

Sometimes it's simply 'supporting the underdog' (and in the workplace, often that's women). Otherwise why are there still 'lads' and 'girls' night out etc?
    People often politically support (for right or wrong) those that they feel they can identify with, be it coming from the same county, having similar social background, or gender etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

The whole thing sums up what's wrong with Irish politics really. Of course Hildegarde should be Mayor if Conneely was three years ago. It's her turn. But his ego is so big that he looked for a way to squeeze her out of it, even if he gave off to someone else for trying the same thing a few years ago.

Irish politics are all about egos and no substance and Galway City Council is about the worst example of it, with all the 'cat fighting', attacks on officials, and not so hidden agendas (Councillors with interest in rezonings, etc).

Conneely is a loud-mouth who should give his colleague, who has more of a future than he does, her chance.

And her being a woman, and much younger, are valid reasons for wanting to see her being first citizen rather than seeing Conneely trying to hog the chain again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

celty wrote: »
    The whole thing sums up what's wrong with Irish politics really. Of course Hildegarde should be Mayor if Conneely was three years ago. It's her turn. But his ego is so big that he looked for a way to squeeze her out of it, even if he gave off to someone else for trying the same thing a few years ago.

Irish politics are all about egos and no substance and Galway City Council is about the worst example of it, with all the 'cat fighting', attacks on officials, and not so hidden agendas (Councillors with interest in rezonings, etc).

Conneely is a loud-mouth who should give his colleague, who has more of a future than he does, her chance.

And her being a woman, and much younger, are valid reasons for wanting to see her being first citizen rather than seeing Conneely trying to hog the chain again.

Cllr Naughton's sex is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

If it was Conneely vs Naughton in the election then I suspect she'd have walked it. But it wasn't, so, apples and oranges.

i agree. Hildegarde would be a great asset as Mayor. Conneely was lucky to get it once, he is a sort of a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What a farce...they are acting like brats. Do away with both

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'm not supporting Hildegarde Torres anymore

DRakE wrote: »
    is she the one who looks like Fernando Torres?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

That's not a valid reason - ability should be the only reason for somebody to get a job not which set of chromosomes they have.

Personally I've nothing against the woman (apart from the fact that we have way too many teachers in politics) but come up with a serious reason please, like stating what she can bring to the job (e.g. fresh perspective) or something constructive.

Every time I hear the gender card being played I wonder why, when women make up about half the electorate, it appears that many women don't bother voting for other women.

Btb I think the other 'candidate' is a tabloid style loud mouth that shouldn't be let near a microphone, camera or reporter with ears.

Anto,

The Mayor of Galway is just a figurehead who spends the year going to OAP nights out, oversees the Paddy's Day Parade, welcomes visiting dignitaries, etc. He or she has no power over any other City Councillor, apart from chairing the Council meetings.

My point is that it is Hildegarde's turn, and Conneely was ignorant to try and dislodge her, seizing his opportunity because there is a new co-opted Councillor on the FG ticket.

But I do think it's good to have a young female Mayor rather than a 60-something, male loudmouth in the chair. Women are under-represented in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Anto,

The Mayor of Galway is just a figurehead who spends the year going to OAP nights out, oversees the Paddy's Day Parade, welcomes visiting dignitaries, etc. He or she has no power over any other City Councillor, apart from chairing the Council meetings.

My point is that it is Hildegarde's turn, and Conneely was ignorant to try and dislodge her, seizing his opportunity because there is a new co-opted Councillor on the FG ticket.

But I do think it's good to have a young female Mayor rather than a 60-something, male loudmouth in the chair. Women are under-represented in Irish politics.

As I said above, sex is irrelevant. Capability is what matters. Talking about how great it is to have a female mayor is a bit pathetic.

yeehaw wrote: »
    As I said above, sex is irrelevant. Capability is what matters. Talking about how great it is to have a female mayor is a bit pathetic.

I think the point is it's nice to have a bit of a change.. Young, female, rather than older, male.. different generations, different perspectives, different experiences to draw on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Anto,

I'm well aware of all that (including the selection process) and I don't like the other guy either. I merely reject the notion that age, sex or the precception that they would be a change is a good enough reason for anybody to get it.

I still have not heard a good enough reason for her to get the job though. Give me a proper reason why she should get the job. I'll give you a start: she might bring some dignity to the job, something the other journalist chaser couldn't do.

• Advertisement

Well, as it's just an honourary or symbolic position, I just think it's her turn and Conneely was just being plain greedy by taking it from her. There are only three FG people on the Council, and the third was only co-opted last month, so it's not like there is a huge choice.

Advertisement