Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I lodge this cheque??

Options
  • 14-05-2011 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am getting married in a weeks time. For demonstration assume my full name is John Cappa and my wifes full name is Michelle ryan.

I have got a check as a present and for some reason the person made it payable to John and Michelle Cappa!!

Firstly we do not have a joint account and obviously considering we are not yet married my wifes name has not yet changed and to be honest we might not bother changing her name.

Can I lodge this check to a single named account i.e. my account John Cappa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Technically not.

But. Get your wife to sign "Michelle Cappa" on the back and try it then. Chances are they'll accept it.

Unless it is crossed?

Another option is hold until after your wedding and you've a bunch of chqs to lodge. You'll likely get it through then.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Yes, you can. Something similar happened to me; just make sure both you and your fiancée sign it on the back, then you can go to your branch and cash it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

It is crossed. I think all checks are crossed these days.

They know me in the bank and are aware I am getting married. Is it up to the descretion of the teller so? as if it is then there is no problem as they know me.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Have you not got a joint account yet ? Good move on your part if you dont ha

If she signs the back of it you should be fine

No joint account. Too much hassle at the minute lol!

Can she sign the back of it though? Technically the person "Michelle Cappa" doesnt even exist you see?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

What does the crossing say?

Account payee only or not neg?

The crossing says "not negotiable & Co."

Errm!
    On closer inspection it is actually not a cheque! Its a euro demand draft? Not sure if this makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's a bank draft I guess.

Reckon if Michelle "cappa" signs it you'll be grand. Yes she doesn't exist. Hmm how will you manage to get her to sign it then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well only the issuer can change/remove the crossing.

You should be able to have her sign it, rules are she does in front of the cashier but this is rarely in forced. As another poster said wait till after the wedding cause chances are your going to have plenty more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

john_cappa wrote: »
    The crossing says "not negotiable & Co."

the rule is that a specially crossed cheque or bankers draft such as this can only be lodged not cashed, and then only lodged to an account in the joint names of the payees.

So best option is that you lodge it in a joint account opened in both names after you get married. Otherwise you may, and i stress the word may, be liable for any problems that arise with the cheque or draft for the next 6 years. Ie; If anyone queries what happened to the cheque or who it was paid to.

As it is the teller should refuse to lodge it into your sole account anyway, even if it is endorsed by your future wife in her married name. She cannot endorse it over for lodgement in a sole account even after you are married, thats what "Not Negotiable" or "account payee only " crossings mean.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but thats the law. Hope you both have long and happy lives together !

Lodged ok.......i wasnt asked to sign....nor michelle cappa.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Lucky man, someone made a boo-boo !! :rolleyes:

Advertisement