Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe leak in NEW HOUSE

Options
  • 14-05-2011 9:44am

We bought house 5 months ago. Yesterday we discovered leak from the pipe in the kitchen.
    Concrete is wet in the kitchen area, hallway and partly in living room. Our laminate flooring in hallway and living room deformed because water is under it. We have also water under our furnitures in the kitchen and under tiles, wet walls in living room and kitchen. we are not sure about isolation in the walls.Might be wet as well.
    Should we contact our insurance company or builders, because they connected water pipe wrongly. Does our Home Bond cover it?
    Do we need Loss Assessor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Insurance company will only cover accidental damage, damage that couldint be otherwise prevented. How do you know it was faulty work? Just wondering if you had it investigated and if you tried everything to stop the leak. Sounds more like a flood from the damage you report (if furniture is actually getting ruined too)

I'd suggest your contact all parties. Builder, and insurance company. Loss adjuster will charge 10% of what ever you may or may not get from insurance company. I'd talk to the major players and involve one only if you feel you are not up to dealing with the insurance company.

Was it a brand new house?

House was brand new.We have moved only 5 months ago.
    We closed water supply for that pipe ourselves yesterday when we just noticed leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Insurance covers this. In addition to standard cover polices can include accidental damage.

As said contact the builder. At least you may get it fixed for free. I'd ask the builder to cover the cost to replace damage before claiming on your insurance.

I had the same issue myself. I had ten leaks on a new build which meant taken up tiles etc. Builder fixed leaks and replaced all tiles with new ones.

Just depends on how nice your builder is.

In our contract with builders is written that they will make good any major defects which arise within 18 months after Completion Date or the date of payment of the balance of the contract price, whichever is earlier and any minor defects which arise within 6 months after payment.

It looks like builders should carry on all damages which were made?
    Should I contact my lawyer in that case?

Talk to builder, if no joy talk to solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

As your house is less than ten years old, i would imagine that you should be covered under Homebond:

http://www.homebond.ie/

As your house is less than ten years old, i would imagine that you should be covered under Homebond:

http://www.homebond.ie/

Only if the builder is part of the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis

Try a Loss Assessor. Www.proinsuranceclaims.ie

Advertisement