Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone query

Options
  • 14-05-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Due an upgrade from 02 and would appreciate some help choosing one. Also can anyone tell me when you upgrade are you renewing/extending your contract.

This will be my first smart phone but am use to messing around and loading 3rd party software onto things, so dont mind a bit of tinkering. I am in the bracket of an Iphone16GB/HTC HD7 €149, any other options I should be looking at?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes your contract will be renewed if you take the new handset.

To get the right handset, you need to know what suits your needs. This will help:
    • What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)
    • Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    • Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    • Operator - have you an operator preference
    • Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    • Price range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I am thinking something along the lines of the two mentioned above, which seem to be similary priced. 02 also do a GalaxyS i9000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

If you really want to spend hours of tinkering Galaxy S is the way to go. Though its due to be replaced soon by the new version.

Where HD7 is still newer and got a brilliant sleek operating system. But not alot of tinkering and customizing there. Though great having xbox live behind it :) Will be getting Kinect and Xbox integration in next update with tons of new stuff :) so potential wise HD7 would be the way to go. The large screen also is the nicest feature. Just makes gaming and apps and browsing so much nicer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

are you pre pay or bill?
    I am on bill pay on 15 quid per mth with data add-on but looking to buy a smartphone. O2 (and Vodaphone) have minimum smartphone monthly plans costing E35 per mth. That's E20 p.m. extra than the plan I am on now. 250 mins+texts but feck all data.

Depends on now much data/call mins/texts you use per month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Actually on that O2 Advance 250 (35pm) CPW is doing deals for a free Galaxy S + a free phone from prepay section up to 79.99 on 18 months contract.

You dont get too much. But if you need data you can choose the data add on (you can get 1 add on free) and another one free for 3 months.

250 mins/texts + 250mb of data + free calls and texts to 02 + free add on and another one free for 3 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement