Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choice Help

• 14-05-2011 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm making my leaving cert subject choice soon. I'm keeping on history & French. Cant decide next 2 subjects. Either ag science, biology, business or music. Thinking about journalism at 3rd level. Can ye help me:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

vin95 wrote: »
    Hi I'm making my leaving cert subject choice soon. I'm keeping on history & French. Cant decide next 2 subjects. Either ag science, biology, business or music. Thinking about journalism at 3rd level. Can ye help me:confused:

If you play an instrument well and enjoy it, music.
    The other 3 are pretty much just hardcore learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

I'm keeping on history & French. Cant decide next 2 subjects. Either ag science, biology, business or music. Thinking about journalism at 3rd level.

If you're doing History, Business compliments it well. For each History book (there's four), there will be a section called Society and Economy. I do both subjects and having the Business knowledge really helps me when we're doing the economy chapters.
    As well as that, Business is a really nice subject at Leaving Cert level. You'd be surprised at how much you already know from Junior Cert and a lot of it is common sense. We finished the course in December of 6th Year, which leaves five months to revise, which is great!
    I'm hoping for a career in journalism myself and by doing Business, you're keeping your options open at what type of journalist you'd want to be.
    I'd recommend looking at the papers on examinations.ie to get a taste of what questions you're asked. :)

I'd recommend music. I found it was a good way of bulking up my points (it's not too hard) and it put a well needed rest into my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Although I do none of these subjects I've heard Ag Science is quite easy :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chuckie!

from what we've been told, you need a science subject for most courses and after that it depends on what you want to do and what your good at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Business is a lovely course if you are anyway business minded! With the exception of Unit 1 and perhaps Unit 7 it is all easy to do and a lot of it is common sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

DONT DO HISTORY!!! i cant stress that enough... it was worst decision i've made... but then again its mainly because of teacher.. however if your not strong at writing essays (english essays would be kinda lik what we have to write not lik JC history essays) then you may wish to reconsider that !!! but you are thinking of journalism... so history may be a good option for you :)
    hmmm business is a lovely subject, really easy to get a1 in too :) defo do that
    and as regards to science or music.. well which do you prefer more...? make sure whatever subject you do , you enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

Do music.
    I picked it up the month before my leaving and got a D1 at higher level with out even doing the written paper so its points in the bag.
    Geography is another deffinate to do.
    History you can do a certain percent of it on a project so you have 30-35% before you even do the exam the only thing about history is there is alot of learning.But it isnt that difficult as all you have to do is remember it rather than have to understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Business is a nice subject, I'd definitely recommend it.

I'd advise having a look at a Biology book/past papers before you decide to take up Biology (or any subject, really.) I never did and I thought I'd be fine but I turned out to be atrocious at the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

business is just the best subject ever:D but bearing in mind my teacher is absolutely fantastic:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement