Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams MasterCard - the battle resumes?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

I laughed for a while yesterday when I opened a letter and there in my hands was a statement from Debenhams & Santander Cards Ireland.

Now, the funny thing is I had a MasterCard account with them but I closed it in 2008 after an awful lot of stress and hassle!

3 years later they're looking for €30 stamp duty - what about 2009 and 2010 :P ?

I'm looking forward to having a word with these cowboys, if they answer the phone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

They told me it was an error and my account would be rectified in my next statement.

I told him there should be no error and no next statement as my account shouldn't exist to which he just kept repeating it was an error and in my next statement the charge will be removed.

I then asked him if this account is still registered with the Irish Credit Bureau and he just repeated the same line again.

God I hope they don't come bothering me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Have you a closing statement/letter/acknowledgement from 2008?

If not - think if I were you I'd insist on confirmation that account is closed... otherwise if say account is open and they 'write off' the e30 owing, that may be recorded on the ICB...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hairybro

I'm having the same "Shaun of the Dead" experience with a Debenhams/Santander MasterCard that I closed back in 2009. The card was never even used - I was foolishly talked into a Debenhams store card to avail of a discount back in 2009, but I refused the MasterCard so to avoid the government duty (which doesn't apply to the store card, apparently) (only intended to use it for discounts, and not for credit so APR was not an issue etc.). Anyway, guess what arrived in the post? A MasterCard! I cut it straight in two, and sent it back to Santander with a letter closing the account as per the relevant section of the Terms and Conditions. Got a letter from Santander confirming the balance was zero and the account was closed. A week or two later, I got a letter from my local Debenhams store informing me that “I” had not completely filled out the paperwork correctly, and that they also need another copy of my driving licence (as the copy they took missed a bit, apparently) so can I call in to fill out and sign new paperwork, etc. I ignored the letter. And the subsequent reminder. The account was closed, and I had a letter from Santander to prove it. That was the end of it. Or so I thought.

Last month, more than 20 months after the account was closed, I received a statement with the €30 government duty on it (received nothing re: duty for 2010, and paid no duty in 2009 either as the card was never used before being closed). FFS! Called the number on the statement. An automated message noted that there “might have been an issue with the application of the government levy” but it will be put right in the June statement. I stayed on the phone to talk to someone about this (the account was closed FFS!) who assured me that this would be rectified in June, and that I would not have to pay anything and that I will receive a final closing statement in June.

It’s June. Guess what arrived? A statement informing me…that I have missed payment, and a late fee of €15.38 (or something) has been added to the balance. Called the number again, and the automated message is now saying things will be rectified in July. Apparently.

Now, I’m not worried really as I still have the original closing letter from Santander, etc. However, I am a little concerned about my credit record being impacted by this debacle. Seriously, how the hell can this sort of thing happen? Is there any redress/comeback?

Anyway, buyer beware!

HB

This company is a nightmare!! Why won't they leave me alone!!!

They keep sending me monthly statements for my 'Shaun of the Dead' card!:mad: I think it's time for the financial ombudsman :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hairybro

schween wrote: »

They keep sending me monthly statements for my 'Shaun of the Dead' card!:mad: I think it's time for the financial ombudsman :(

I'm still having this ongoing nightmare too, so you're not the only one. I've had another missed/late payment fee applied for July, a final default notice (or something like that) in June, and this is despite me contacting them repeatedly about this error (which they acknowledge is an error!). Absolutely appalling stuff! I'm starting to think that I may have to go via the Financial Ombudsman too :(

HB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

schween wrote: »

The question is have you closed your account or just cancelled your card? There is a difference and most people do not seem to realise this, they think by cancelling the card, they have finished with it, but that is not the case....

And another point, if there are any auto renewal subs on the cancelled card, such as magazine subs and so on, they may be processed as they come due, because the account has not been closed.

So sit down and write them a letter making it very clear that you not only cancelled the card, but want to close the account as well. And keep a copy of the letter in case any thing comes up in future

Jim.

I wrote them a letter asking that the account be closed in 2008. This I am sure of. I never had any direct debits or anything else on the account. I asked for a letter stating the account was closed in 2008 but they said they don't issue them and assured me it was closed. (after the nightmare it took to close it!)

They have "refunded" the €30 now and when I asked them for a letter to confirm the account is closed they told me that they are pulling out of Ireland anyway.

They're a strange bunch.

Advertisement