Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrinkles??

• 14-05-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

Ok so im only young (23) but in the last 6 months I've noticed a line on my forehead! I've a very expressive face and it is as a result of that I imagine. I use sunscreen, I moisturise, I drink a lot of water... but now Im getting really paranoid Im gonna be crinkle-central once I hit 30!! What do i do!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I have the same crease from frowning, probably from all the sun worshipping!
    I think using a great sunscreen in the future to prevent them, wearing a hat while on holiday, sticking to the shade etc should help prevent more. Most wrinkles are caused from sun damage.
    It is partly genes though which can't be helped, also drinking and smoking can cause them so cut back or quit these.
    I'm going to do microdermabrasion it doesn't remove wrinkles but they look less obvious same goes for glycolic peels. On the cheap a lemon home facial squeezing lemon juice onto a cotton pad and wiping across your face should help.
    I found a video for something similar on youtube that could be useful.
    http://youtube/48mFDXJZRQc http://youtube/48mFDXJZRQc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Azureus wrote: »
    Ok so im only young (23) but in the last 6 months I've noticed a line on my forehead! I've a very expressive face and it is as a result of that I imagine. I use sunscreen, I moisturise, I drink a lot of water... but now Im getting really paranoid Im gonna be crinkle-central once I hit 30!! What do i do!

Hi OP,

Expressive faces are far better than a botox'ed face though arent they, even if it does mean a line or two..
    Some golden rules, use minimum factor 30 broad spectrum protection every day, upping to factor 50 in summer, UVA rays are what cause the ageing from the sun...cleanse, tone, moisturise every morning and every night..loads of water...and thats really the best thing you can do..there are filler creams out there but to be honest I think we all see the lines a lot more than anyone else notices..glycolic peels are amazing though and I noticed a big difference in my skin when doing a course of them, and for quite some time after...
    Sun protection is the most important thing as 80% of our ageing is caused by the sun so it goes without saying that protecting properly against it will see off a lot of the damage...

Jennypops wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Expressive faces are far better than a botox'ed face though arent they, even if it does mean a line or two..
    Some golden rules, use minimum factor 30 broad spectrum protection every day, upping to factor 50 in summer, UVA rays are what cause the ageing from the sun...cleanse, tone, moisturise every morning and every night..loads of water...and thats really the best thing you can do..there are filler creams out there but to be honest I think we all see the lines a lot more than anyone else notices..glycolic peels are amazing though and I noticed a big difference in my skin when doing a course of them, and for quite some time after...
    Sun protection is the most important thing as 80% of our ageing is caused by the sun so it goes without saying that protecting properly against it will see off a lot of the damage...
    What % where the peels? and how many did you get?

serenacat wrote: »
    What % where the peels? and how many did you get?

Hiya,

God I couldnt tell you..it was a good while ago, was a course of 6 Dr Murad ones...theres the different levels and I went for top up ones for a while after as well. Salon ones are the most effective, the home ones you can buy are rubbish.

OP, meant to say Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant is BRILLIANT....really makes a difference to smoothing out my mug!

Also Serenacat, I had microdermabrasion and it was no where near as good as the glycolic. I also feel that microdermabrasion is a bit harsh when you think of what its actually doing to your skin...

• Advertisement

Jennypops wrote: »
    Also Serenacat, I had microdermabrasion and it was no where near as good as the glycolic. I also feel that microdermabrasion is a bit harsh when you think of what its actually doing to your skin...

http://www.urbana.ie/skin_treatments/acne_treatments/acne_treatments.asp
    This one?
    I've had microdermabrasion too and didn't see any difference really, think it was too superficial. I'd still try it out though as it could have been the place

Yep that glycolic peel on urbana sounds like the one I was getting alright...really is amazing and actually quite relaxing..I went to my local salon in ratoath called silk and ginger, think they still do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I needed the advice too so thank you everyone. I'm 18 and I have onefrown line developing on my forehead. It's driving me crazy. I'm too young to have wrinkles yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

^ Im happy to hear that in a way!! Thought it was just me :p
    Joking-I actually had a chat with the girls about this at the weekend. There was me freaking out, but apparently they are all the same! And when they pointed out their lil lines I could see them but I had honestly never noticed it before. They said it was the same with me and Im sure you are the same aswell. We all criticise ourselves too much for sure :D

Im definately going to try the Dermalogica microfoliant though-bring on payday.

^ Im happy to hear that in a way!! Thought it was just me :p
    Joking-I actually had a chat with the girls about this at the weekend. There was me freaking out, but apparently they are all the same! And when they pointed out their lil lines I could see them but I had honestly never noticed it before. They said it was the same with me and Im sure you are the same aswell. We all criticise ourselves too much for sure :D

Im definately going to try the Dermalogica microfoliant though-bring on payday.

Haha good to hear!! Honestly though, I know I am guilty of peering closely into the mirror and noticing all the little lines appearing...but everyone is the same and those people you say 'oh you have lovely skin' to are just as freaked out and cant understand how you think they have nice skin.

I really believe a lot of it is genetic, my grandmother, mam and all her sisters have unbelievable skin. When my nanny passed away I remember looking at her face and thinking jesus her skin is perfect, she had a few lines round the mouth and eyes but for a woman of 84 her skin was very very smooth. My mam is 50 and honestly would pass for about 40. What did they all have in common- SPF and moisturising! And lots of water. None of them used anything fancy, Astral and Ponds were my nannys staples. I have one aunt who is about 45 and NEVER used moisturiser/sunscreeen or looked after her skin in any way- and her skin is like a 70 year old...So I am a firm believer that the younger you start looking after your skin the better, cleaning it properly, handling it gently and using minimum spf 30 all year round.

The microfoliant is really brilliant at freshening and brightening your skin, and its the best exfoliator I ever used. You only need a tiny amount so the tub lasts for months, I have mine since October and still loads left...it is far better than those scrubs with bits in them, they are rubbish and so bad for your skin (unless you are using a decent one) The likes of Aapri and all are just awful..they might give a good result from literally ripping the dead skin off but it will show in later years!

Anyway, just remember that everyone is insecure, you wont be a wrinkle bag by the time you are 30!!

• Advertisement

I have started using Neutrogena Multi-Defence moisturiser spf 15 in the last few weeks, would that be enough for daily use or would I need something with a higher spf?
    Aswell for holidays etc, usual suncreams would be too harsh for my sensitive skin, is there anything you would reccomend?
    You are now my skincare guru jennypops :p

I had bad acne from age 10-17 or so, and used harsh products on my skin all through my teens because of this. I also had a tendency to be rough with my skin when cleansing so Im guessing my skin may be suffering a little because of this-hopefully its not too late to start taking some proper delicate care of it :)

I have started using Neutrogena Multi-Defence moisturiser spf 15 in the last few weeks, would that be enough for daily use or would I need something with a higher spf?
    Aswell for holidays etc, usual suncreams would be too harsh for my sensitive skin, is there anything you would reccomend?
    You are now my skincare guru jennypops :p

I had bad acne from age 10-17 or so, and used harsh products on my skin all through my teens because of this. I also had a tendency to be rough with my skin when cleansing so Im guessing my skin may be suffering a little because of this-hopefully its not too late to start taking some proper delicate care of it :)

Up the SPF to at least factor 30, thats for all year round use but in summer, even in Ireland, I would up it to 50. When you consider that 80% of ageing is caused by the sun it makes sense to protect skin from it!
    I dont want to be harping on about Dermalogica as there are loads of brilliant brands out there but as I use it I can answer better about whats good etc...what happens when you use normal sunscreen? I use a dermalogica sunblock and I know they do ones for super sensitive skin. I definitely think for your face you need a specific facial suncream as ones you use on your body will just be way too much for your face.
    Now if you are just reacting to certain products that means you are sensitised as opposed to sensitive.

The key is getting your skin type correct..a lot of people think they are a certain type but they arent and their skin is being aggravated by the routine they have in place.

Describe your skin to me, and what issues you have with it ie spots/breakouts, oily shine, pores etc...

Whats your current routine?

haha love the title skincare guru!! im just mad into skin and how it all works and how easy it is to make improvements in it!

Do you know any products that have spf 30? Aside from Dermalogica if possible, Im all for splashing out on skincare but those prices are crazy :D Ill have to ease myself in and I think ill start with the Microfoliant.
    If I use generic suncreams, i can feel the build up on my skin if that makes sense? And I get little pimples underneath it. Sometimes it flares red and stings a little when i apply moisturiser after washing.

I'd say i have combination skin, but Im not entirely sure as it tends to fluctuate. My cheeks can get fairly dry, but my chin/nose can be greasy. Sexy I know :p I wouldnt say I have sensitive skin as such, but anything too harsh would make it very red. I dont get many spots or anything anymore-my main problem is very noticeable pores. I got consultations done in Clinque before and they said combination, but i didnt find them that helpful and Clinque products didnt do much for me.

My current routine is cleanse and moisturise every morning and night (with Garnier day/night moisturisers), and I exfoliate about once maybe twice a week. I dont mind putting a lot of time/effort into my skin if it helps it, i just dont know where to start!

Thanks so much for all of your replies :)

Do you know any products that have spf 30? Aside from Dermalogica if possible, Im all for splashing out on skincare but those prices are crazy :D Ill have to ease myself in and I think ill start with the Microfoliant.
    If I use generic suncreams, i can feel the build up on my skin if that makes sense? And I get little pimples underneath it. Sometimes it flares red and stings a little when i apply moisturiser after washing.

I'd say i have combination skin, but Im not entirely sure as it tends to fluctuate. My cheeks can get fairly dry, but my chin/nose can be greasy. Sexy I know :p I wouldnt say I have sensitive skin as such, but anything too harsh would make it very red. I dont get many spots or anything anymore-my main problem is very noticeable pores. I got consultations done in Clinque before and they said combination, but i didnt find them that helpful and Clinque products didnt do much for me.

My current routine is cleanse and moisturise every morning and night (with Garnier day/night moisturisers), and I exfoliate about once maybe twice a week. I dont mind putting a lot of time/effort into my skin if it helps it, i just dont know where to start!

Thanks so much for all of your replies :)

La Roche Posay, Vichy would be a couple of good brands available in chemists that wouldnt be too pricey. Its defintely about finding a brand that works for you, at the mo Im using an Olay moisturiser mixed with a dermalogica barrier repair, that really helps my skin.

If you are getting enough water etc and still noticing dryness on your cheeks and oily on nose chin then yep it sounds combination. Large pores are a sign of oily skin also.

So basically you need to cleanse properly, a wash off cleanser is really the best at getting skin really clean, something gentle though and when its all nice and scrubbed in remove it with a warm wet facecloth (or try the muslin cloths in the body shop, think they are about a fiver for 3) If you wear a good bit of make up you could remove this first with a cream cleanser and follow that with a wash off to get it real clean.

Never never use those awful make up wipes...hell for your skin!

Are you using toner? Thats a must really especially with oilier skin, and to help close the pores. Dont use any with alcohol in it though as this just strips the skin..see that Clinique toner- awful stuff!! The way it stings on application, pure alcohol nearly.

So basically double cleanse, tone and moisturise (if your moisturier doesnt have high factor then pop one on after moisturiser. pretty sure la roche/vichy etc have moisturisers with the higher level spf so that would save an extra step!)

Exfoliator is defintely worth spending a little more on as the cheaper ones with particles are terrible for skin (if you look at the particles under a microscope contained in the cheaper ones against the higher end ones you see where the term you get what you pay for comes in!!)

Home made face masks are brill, so many different options you can do and all fairly cheap to do as well. Banana, natural yoghurt and honey is yummy..add a bit of fine oatmeal and give skin a rub before rinsing. Another good thing you can do with the muslin cloths is fill one with a bit of oatmeal, knot it tightly at the top (making sure you can undo it at the end!) and fill the sink with warm water, dipping the pouch into the water and rolling it over your face..oatmeal is so good for skin, especially dry skin...by trying different things like that you find things that really work for you. That pouch thing also works for a bath, if you attach the pouch under the running water theres a lovely oatmeal bath as the water will run through the pouch and you get the goodness out!

Look at your skin objectively, what areas do you feel you need to improve on in your routine. It sounds like you know what you are doing and just need to introduce a couple more steps a few times a week to really get the best results.

There is a place n kildare that sells dermalogica online, they are authorised sellers, called millies beauty rooms, definitely the cheapest I have seen online but at the same times its just about trial and error as well.

I get the same thing if I use normal sunscreen on my face, its way too oily and makes my skin go weird..pop in and have a look in your chemist anyway. I know my mam raves about la roche posay!

Start using eye cream too...you will thank me in 10 years!!

Sorry meant to add...the whole day & night cream thing...really I feel that your moisturiser should just suit your skin and you shouldnt need to use a heavier night cream (in fact I feel skin need the chance to breathe and not be choked with heavy creams, at least at night when you have cleaned your skin and no make up or dirt and debris from outside is going to be hitting your skin, then you should have a good enough moisturiser that treats your skin properly whether its 10am or 10pm...

The basic of cleanse tone and moisturise, thats just a daily given...and you introduce other treatments as and how your skin need them..by using a mask once a week for deep conditioning, exfoliating regularly...you will get into a system that brings out the best in your skin and you wont need to faff round with day/night stuff, you will just have your core products and this is all you need.

I've taken notes, I'm going shopping for some new products later for sure-I've tried Vichy before and liked it, but I might experiment with La Roche Posay.

I already use an eye cream-I get it in Lidl for about €4 and its actually the best I've ever tried, has Q10 in it and noticeably tightens the skin.
    As for toner, I havent used it in years but Ill definately pick up some rose water now-I just never realised it did much that a cold splash of water wouldnt do. But its cheap and only takes a second so I'll get back into it.

I used to do the oatmeal masks a lot-so messy but Ive never had my face feel as soft!! Was worth it. I stopped doing all those extras when my spots cleared up-I suppose because the problems werent as notceable anymore, I stopped doing all the tricks!

Cant thank you enough for all that info :D

Just to add a link, this website is free and has tons of reviews on all products, most of the products are american brands unfortunalty but it is still useful.
    http://www.beautypedia.com/ I also have her book 'don't go to the cosmetics counter without me'

I've taken notes, I'm going shopping for some new products later for sure-I've tried Vichy before and liked it, but I might experiment with La Roche Posay.

I already use an eye cream-I get it in Lidl for about €4 and its actually the best I've ever tried, has Q10 in it and noticeably tightens the skin.
    As for toner, I havent used it in years but Ill definately pick up some rose water now-I just never realised it did much that a cold splash of water wouldnt do. But its cheap and only takes a second so I'll get back into it.

I used to do the oatmeal masks a lot-so messy but Ive never had my face feel as soft!! Was worth it. I stopped doing all those extras when my spots cleared up-I suppose because the problems werent as notceable anymore, I stopped doing all the tricks!

Cant thank you enough for all that info :D

Yeah that eye cream is brilliant isnt it! Talking of q10, there is a multi vitamin you can take, coenzyme q10, great for skin, nails and hair. Thats something you should think about too, I take cod liver oil capsules every day. Also my nanny used to get vitamin e capsules and pierce them and rub the contents into any dry patches and then just smooth it out all over her skin, she done this at night a couple of times a month. I havent done it for ages, must pick up a pack!!

I am guilty of doing that too, when a problem is solved you stop taking so much care but I think now I am so embedded in my routine I dont even think about it. Toner is an important step, it gets rid of the last bits of cleanser and closes the pores. You could get rose water/orange flower water and pop it into one of those cheap little plastic spray bottles, spritz on after you cleanse and either blot with a tissue or swipe with a cotton pad. As you get older you will need to up it a bit of the skincare and use perhaps a toner/cleanser/moisturiser targeted at older skin or whatever changes you notice.

Good luck with the shopping, and let us know how you get on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭jenzersboi

Don't worry, there is plenty you can do. Try to protect your skin from the elements-spf, antioxidants, no smoking, plenty of water etc. If you have dry skin then ensure you're using the correct moisturiser as theres a difference between dry and dehydrated.
    The day/night cream debate is an old one....HOWEVER it is important to use a night cream. A night cream is formulated to detox and destress your skin so usingthe night cream will help in this regard.
    I have some lines on my forehead and I tried Genefique by Lancome, it is a serum that acts on the proteins of your skin in order for it to behave younger, more are produced and thus fine lines and wrinkes are reduced including it makes your skin so bright and fresh looking! Im a HUGE fan! It is pricey at €70 for a 30ml bottle, however this would last you 4 months, which I thinkis cheap if you compare the cheaper serums are about €25, they last a month and in my opinion arent as effective!
    Anyway thats my tuppence worth, you should try get yourself a sample of Genefique to try and see what you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I agree with the above post re night creams. My skin feels rubbish if i've forgotten to use a night cream.
    I use a serum called one essential, its from dior.about 80 euro now-used to be more than 100 :eek: it doesn the same anti ageing stuff like the estee lauder serum and that lancome one but it removes toxins from your skin too. I noticed a huge difference in my skin from using it, so did my bf!!!:eek:

as jenzersboi said you should get samples or try things out before you buy.

i was told in boots that loreals youth code serum is the exact same as lancomes genefique-is that tru does anyone know?

• Advertisement

yep i know some people, probably a majority, prefer to use a night cream, i used to use one myself..i suppose its whatever works for you...

creams cant remove toxins from the skin, the only way to remove toxins is from the inside out. the five layers of your epidermis are about as far in as creams go and whilst creams can have a positive effect on the overall condition and appearance of your skin, the physical effects are temporary...creams/serums etc literally plump up the skin reducing the appearance of lines etc, the continual use will recondition these layers and ensure that each new layer remains soft and plumped etc.
    mitosis of the skin (where new cells are made) is not done in the epidermis so products cant possibly make new cells..simply the act of rubbing your skin causes mitosis but this occurs in the dermal layer.

products that claim to reduce pore size, lines etc simply go onto the skin and cause the surrounding cells to swell, thus reducing the appearance of the line or whatever.

serums are simply more concentrated levels of ingredients in a formula that melts into the skin, most likely using silicones of some form as this gives a smooth feel.

never tried the lancome serum but heard its lovely...

if only there was a product that really did what they claim to do!

Also just to add...the effects of ageing as mentioned above sun,smoking etc are what everyone should be protecting against so whether you use high end or high street products, water and spf are the most important things you can do for your skin...

Generally with products the research you do into their ingredients and knowing what to look for means that you dont end up paying for the advertising campaign for a larger brand when you can get the exact same product make up for half the cost, maybe just without the big celeb endorsement!

slowmoe wrote: »
    I agree with the above post re night creams. My skin feels rubbish if i've forgotten to use a night cream.
    I use a serum called one essential, its from dior.about 80 euro now-used to be more than 100 :eek: it doesn the same anti ageing stuff like the estee lauder serum and that lancome one but it removes toxins from your skin too. I noticed a huge difference in my skin from using it, so did my bf!!!:eek:

as jenzersboi said you should get samples or try things out before you buy.

i was told in boots that loreals youth code serum is the exact same as lancomes genefique-is that tru does anyone know?
    Its not the same, I always wondered, the difference is that the active ingredients in Lancome are delivered into the skins deeper layers so it acts exactly where it is targeted. The Loreal one sits on the top layers more than anything. It will feel nice, but it wont treat anything :-) Also although they are sister companies, Lancome research is much more intensive, so the price is related to the delivery system of the molecules and the research. The labs have a thing called epi-skin, it simulates real skin, they sell it to other brands, but they can make it behave in all different ages so the research is more targeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I never really understood the need for toner until recently! The Clinique one I use is really harsh, or at least it smells that way, and even though I don't let it near my eyes it still makes them water a bit. If I were to replace it with plain rose water (from Boots or Holland and Barret, I suppose?) would that do the trick? I'm a bit clueless about it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Another great trick for dealing with forehead lines. Get a fringe.

jokettle wrote: »
    I never really understood the need for toner until recently! The Clinique one I use is really harsh, or at least it smells that way, and even though I don't let it near my eyes it still makes them water a bit. If I were to replace it with plain rose water (from Boots or Holland and Barret, I suppose?) would that do the trick? I'm a bit clueless about it :o

You will see a difference if you change, it wont be as effective. I wouldnt be a huge fan of Clinique and their toners are harsh but they are effective. they exfoliate your skin chemically, this removing dead skin daily and you skin is left brighter and less prone to congestion. If you do change the rosewater wont do anything of the sorts...honestly... Ive tried. If you want to save money wet your cotton pad and sqeeze it out before applying the toner to it... this will reduce waste. A small bottle should last you at least 5 months- that works out at €4 per month- very cheap for great skin! Hope this helps :-)

Clinique toner is basically pure alcohol- using this on your skin strips it, thus making your skin produce even more oil..and so the circle begins. If something is so harsh that it makes your eyes water then I would steer clear.
    Rosewater etc may work for some people, and is nice maybe as a little freshener but its better to research a few proper toners specific to your skin type and go from there.
    Using alcohol on your face is just a bad idea...if you want something that removes dead skin/brightens skin then use a facial wash/scrub etc that contains AHA's, BHA's...toner should be gentle enough to remove last traces or cleanser/make up or whatever, and prep the skin for moisturiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skinfabulosa

:eek: that wud freak me out too if I hadn't discovered the instant remedy to wrinkles... <SNIP> :P been there and I overcame that dilemma.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Trilogy Rosehip oil .... amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Eriu79

Extra virgin olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Just to add what I've learned over the years to prevent/help wrinkles.

*If you use your daycream at night, make sure it has no SPF otherwise it will clog your pores

*Exfoliate regularly. Men don't have as many wrinkles as women and it was discovered that this was due to shaving, i.e. removing dead layers of skin

*Get regular facials. A good facialist will be able to keep an eye on your skin and recommend what to use as you get older/skin changes, etc.

*I would definitely reiterate what others have said about the sun and smoking. You really can tell a 30/40 something smoker's skin to one that doesn't.

*Diet. Eat healthy, fresh, unprocessed food as much as you can.

*This may be controversial but I have always thought coffee was poison for your skin. Actually any caffeine containing drink - tea, soft drinks, diet drinks. Dehydration, stress, addiction, etc. I think for me if I drink something and it makes me thirsty afterwards, it can't be that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wapo

I agree
    All those lifestyle choices are good for your skin.....Caffeine smoking etc a no no!

Rosehip oil is fab for reducing wrinkles and scars due to the oil's high content of polyunsaturated fatty essential acids and a derivative of retinol (vitamin A) which stimulates the regeneration of the epidermis in the skin.

It's food for your skin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

Personally, I think we should use less chemicals on our faces and I try to stick to a simple cleanse/ tone/ moisturise twice a day and get facials on a regular basis- this has helped maintain the elasticity in my face- not saying I don't have wrinkles but they are definitely lesser than most and I am terrible with sunscreen or drinking water!

I go to the same facialist every 6 weeks and so she recommends any changes I may need to make- they are such an investment and a great way to feel relaxed too ;)

Advertisement