Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mavic aksium freehub vibrating

• 14-05-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

So on long, fast descents my freehub seems to be becoming less free. I can freewheel for about 2 or 3 min and then the chain starts to become slack at the top and then I get this resonance vibration which stops if I start pedalling. I'm presuming the freehub is heating up and then grabbing.

So, is this a matter of a strip and lube or is it a replacement job?...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So on long, fast descents my freehub seems to be becoming less free. I can freewheel for about 2 or 3 min and then the chain starts to become slack at the top and then I get this resonance vibration which stops if I start pedalling. I'm presuming the freehub is heating up and then grabbing.

So, is this a matter of a strip and lube or is it a replacement job?...

Possibly a spacer needed. A buddy had the same prob fixed the other day with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Yeah take it apart and make sure there is a small flat washer in between the freehub bearing and the hub bearing sometimes when people take them apart the washer falls out and gets lost,while your doing that lube it up put it back together and see how it goes if its the same the white bush on the freehub body could be worn,a new body will cost about 50

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭One_Time

I think on the Aksium there's an extra washer between the cassette and the hub if you're running Shimano - the normal one you get with the cassette and then an extra one that comes with the wheel. Might make a small difference if it's missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If its a well used wheel that's seen little in the way of regular servicing then you could have worn the free hub bushing.

If that's the case you can either replace the free hub body with a regular mavic one (assuming you havent worn the hub where the bushing turns on it), replace the bushing with an over size one (if the hub has been worn) or replace the bushing with a hubdoctor bearing kit. All options are really easy to do with the latter being a more or less permanent solution to the bushing problem

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

I'm having the exact same problem, only within the last week. My aksiums are new, they have only a few hundred km on them and that spacer is in place, I thought it might have been my chain but obviously not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CheGuedara wrote: »
    If its a well used wheel that's seen little in the way of regular servicing then you could have worn the free hub bushing.

If that's the case you can either replace the free hub body with a regular mavic one (assuming you havent worn the hub where the bushing turns on it), replace the bushing with an over size one (if the hub has been worn) or replace the bushing with a hubdoctor bearing kit. All options are really easy to do with the latter being a more or less permanent solution to the bushing problem

Yep, wheel's about 1.5 years old. Checking up on hubdoctor as we speak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

One_Time wrote: »
    I think on the Aksium there's an extra washer between the cassette and the hub if you're running Shimano - the normal one you get with the cassette and then an extra one that comes with the wheel. Might make a small difference if it's missing.

Crap, I didn't put that extra washer in! :eek:

Explains why my cassette was rattling on the hill climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You have to use a VERY thin oil on the Newish mavic freehubs, if its too thick, it will stick.

Stripped down the freehub (after making a chain whip out in the shed), cleaned and lubed. It all looks fine but a bush will do that. I'll just wait and see before I shop for a new bush...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 user111

remove freehub body, make sure that this small washer is in place, check all bearings (they should rotate smoothly), clean everything using technical paper towel and apply small amount of thick lube on all surfaces except for clutching mechanism (for this one use thin oil). had the same problem and it's solved now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

user111 wrote: »
    remove freehub body, make sure that this small washer is in place, check all bearings (they should rotate smoothly), clean everything using technical paper towel and apply small amount of thick lube on all surfaces except for clutching mechanism (for this one use thin oil). had the same problem and it's solved now :)

Mavic specify to use a thin oil, well their own special oil on the freehub according to their own tech docs. The Wheel bearings are sealed and dont need lubrication?

I used thick oil on my own one years ago thinking it wouldnt make a difference...it did, mad the freewheel really stiff to the point of the frewheeling being affected, the lovely ratchet noise mavic hubs make was replaced with silence, which was a novelty for abit. Not good using thick oil. Also there is a different procedure to removing the freehub body to shimano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Can someone post a pic of the wheel with washes between cassette and hub? My wheel was rattling a lot but it was a loose cassette that was the problem. However I don't think I have any washer as talked about above. Will post my own pic of the wheel later.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Stripped down the freehub (after making a chain whip out in the shed), cleaned and lubed. It all looks fine but a bush will do that. I'll just wait and see before I shop for a new bush...

Descending into Howth village this evening it was beautifully quiet. I'll consider it sorted for now...

Advertisement