Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime licence?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You can put this under the title of "i'm used to what we have" or " i dislike that much change", but wither way i see "faults" or problems with systems like that being enacted here.

The cost for a start. With lads complaining over €80 license fees, club and range fees of a couple of hundred euro how can you honestly expect anyone to just pay the €2,500 let alone the following costs for re-sitting, land, etc, etc.

You say the council do the licensing and they have alot of powers and authority. So do An Gardai here, but you cannot have a gun until they have cleared you. To give people here the gun then have them register it within 10 days will not work for all the reasons yourself and Sparks mentioned so on that basis ALONE the argument is moot. To change the system entirely you need to change the mindset of the people involved.

Your points on target shooting would worry me. If you are a plinker and an irregular wisitor to a range then you are spoken to? So its either serious competitor or nothing at all? I know you did not say those words, but thats what is coming across. This would exclude those in financial difficulties, the elderly that cannot compete as often or at all, etc. Thats a piss poor system and if someone wants to come to the range once a month or longer, fire a few rounds then not return for a while they shpuld be able to do so without needing "a doctor's note" to explain their poor attendance.

Your anaolgy of the vehicle licensing as opposed to firearms licensing is somewhat flawed. A car, truck, etc is not easily concealed by those that would seek to do harm. You cannot legislate for a madman, but you can do what is possile to limit their ability to do harm.

Fact is certain countries have systems that would seem to suit. However to impliment an exact copy or to "bastardise" our system here by taking extracts from others countries simply will not work. not least from a practical position, but from a people point of view. So as said earlier until the license holders/people involved change and those issuing the licenses/responsible for the system begin to trust the people there will be no change.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

]You can put this under the title of "i'm used to what we have" or " i dislike that much change", but wither way i see "faults" or problems with systems like that being enacted here.

Or possibly.."Hey there might be somthing we could adapt and use over here too in an Irish situation" thread
    The cost for a start. With lads complaining over €80 license fees, club and range fees of a couple of hundred euro how can you honestly expect anyone to just pay the €2,500 let alone the following costs for re-sitting, land, etc, etc.
    SIGH!!! READ the posts again will ya??? Ive explained this already THREE TIMES about the costs and WHY it is so high!!!How much does a shoot cost to run here too BTW.Love to see some comparision figures.When all time and labour ,etc is pulled in.

I will also add that you are a hunter are entitled to sell your game directly to a resturant or butcher,so you can reclaim some money at market price.None of this middleman game dealer nonsense.Also a certain amount of your costs are tax deductible as it is considerd by the Federal Govts as conservation work...Be along time waiting for those two simple things to happen here as well.:rolleyes:

You say the council do the licensing and they have alot of powers and authority. So do An Gardai here, but you cannot have a gun until they have cleared you.

Do I HAVE to explain this again?? The benefit is in the fact that the police are NOT involved as it [1] Saves valuable police time and manpower,there are historical and political reasons for not involving them in the process and [3] The revelant bodies involved in the liscensing systems are competant enough and entitled to check up on people and approve them for firearms possession. AND you cant have a gun either until you are duly liscensed over there either..you can certainly TRY and buy one without a liscense,but you wont get far,as the dealer will need to see the Firearms cert book,or at least have your liscense number.Dont have either,no gun leaves the shop.If you have , pay your money , off you go,and get it in the book within ten days.No NEED for a constant police check for each individual application on your liscense.The liscense alone shows that you are cleared and trustworthy to own the firearm.The onous is on you ,just as much as it is over here to do the paperwork.Just that it is 100% more quicker and efficent over there than here!
    To give people here the gun then have them register it within 10 days will not work for all the reasons yourself and Sparks mentioned so on that basis ALONE the argument is moot. To change the system entirely you need to change the mindset of the people involved.

See above points..
    Your points on target shooting would worry me. If you are a plinker and an irregular wisitor to a range then you are spoken to?
    Doesnt exist a "irregular shooter" in a club.If there is mandatory attendance per month or year and you show up on those designated amounts,no problem.If you show up more no bother and welcome.
    Just so long as you abide by the attendance rules,everyone is happy.
    BTW you can happily plink on your own private property.So long as it is safe to do so and the bulletts canot leave your property,and you are not bothering anyone else like the neighbours with noise or other disturbance.
    So if you want to convert your house cellar to a mini shooting range to fire your air pistol or 470 elephant rifle..Go right ahead.
    So its either serious competitor or nothing at all? I know you did not say those words, but thats what is coming across

Not really, you will be a member of the club attending whatever is a mandatory attendance be it once a month or whatever.But that does not mean you will be shooting every match or activly engaging in interclub matches,unless you really want to.
    This is the whole idea of the probation time as well,to get to see what kind of a person you are..Wether you want to be a total competition nut or just want to come in and punch a few holes in paper and go home.

. This would exclude those in financial difficulties, the elderly that cannot compete as often or at all, etc. Thats a piss poor system and if someone wants to come to the range once a month or longer, fire a few rounds then not return for a while they shpuld be able to do so without needing "a doctor's note" to explain their poor attendance

Thats your take on it and it is totally WRONG!!!
    The "piss poor system" as you describe it!:mad::mad::mad: Has been working since the late 19th centurty very well thank you very much.
    As for the old age.They unlike the Irish clubs offer OAP rates and actually by and large the big problem in Germany is the age of hunters and target shooters ..It is over 50 and dwindling.But they are the people with the money in the banks....
    Any clubs do that here,an OAP rate????

Financial problems..Go talk to the comittee and they will generally sort somthing out.By and large Germans do budget better than us .So they know what they can and cant afford to buy or do.......oooppsss...sorryy!:o:o.They would more than likely give up a particular hobby or whatever than still try "to stand their round" so to speak.Nor do clubs charge such rippoff prices as here as they dont have the huge overheads that we do.
    Insurance companies consider shooting clubs over there less risk than soccer clubs or riding stables.
    Your anaolgy of the vehicle licensing as opposed to firearms licensing is somewhat flawed. A car, truck, etc is not easily concealed by those that would seek to do harm. You cannot legislate for a madman, but you can do what is possile to limit their ability to do harm.

BUT the point is a car or truck is 100%more deadlier than a firearm,kills more people and is 100% easier to buy than a gun,
    and the concealability issue is a strawman arguement.True you cant legislate for nutters,but what are nutters killing them and us with here more motor vechicles or firearms ???

Fact is certain countries have systems that would seem to suit. However to impliment an exact copy or to "bastardise" our system here by taking extracts from others countries simply will not work.

Uh huh! So we havent got in our current legislation... Approved range designs from Canada?The post of Range inspector from Canadian law either? The three year liscense,[orginally five years] from the UK legislation?

Half the HCAP manual ,while not mandatory..yet..
    But as I predicted is being pushed now for ALL deer hunters,with a fee for the deer liscense of 100 euros PA.[May ISD report on the WDS and IDS meeting] Is cogged off the GERMAN hunting test??

not least from a practical position, but from a people point of view. So as said earlier until the license holders/people involved change and those issuing the licenses/responsible for the system begin to trust the people there will be no change.

100% agree,BUT the time is coming that WE the Irish people are going to have to look at ourselves or be forced to do so,as what are our attitudes are as a nation to ourselves and to other nations.
    it might be an idea to be abit more open to some new ideas,while not having to slavlishly adapt them 100% ,have an open mind about them?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    SIGH!!! READ the posts again will ya??? Ive explained this already THREE TIMES about the costs and WHY it is so high!!!How much does a shoot cost to run here too BTW.Love to see some comparision figures.When all time and labour ,etc is pulled in.

Loosing patience with me and still not explaining or answering what i have asked is not an answer.

I don't care about the prices in numbers (for the moment), only that it is so much higher. So i'll ask again.

Do you think people that complain about paying €120(ish) for HCAP, €80 for a 3 year license, and €X for club/range fees will pay €2,500+ for more courses, fees, etc. ?
    Do I HAVE to explain this again??

Apparently.
    The benefit is in the fact that the police are NOT involved as it [1] Saves valuable police time and manpower,

Fair point in a country with over 60 odd million people.
    [2]there are historical and political reasons for not involving them in the process

You can explain this point again?
    and [3] The revelant bodies involved in the liscensing systems are competant enough and entitled to check up on people and approve them for firearms possession

They might be slow, but so are the relevant authorities here.
    . AND you cant have a gun either until you are duly liscensed over there either..you can certainly TRY and buy one without a liscense,but you wont get far,as the dealer will need to see the Firearms cert book,or at least have your liscense number.Dont have either,no gun leaves the shop.If you have , pay your money , off you go,and get it in the book within ten days.No NEED for a constant police check for each individual application on your liscense

So what you are saying is it is very much like the system in the North where the person is licensed. One license - multiple firearms. So how do you get a license? I mean the firearms/permit book. If you don't have to register the gun for 10 days how do you get the book in the first place? Say you don't hunt. Must it be a range? how much is the firearms license? For how long?

The liscense alone shows that you are cleared and trustworthy to own the firearm.The onous is on you ,just as much as it is over here to do the paperwork.Just that it is 100% more quicker and efficent over there than here!

The major difference being the person must complete their paperwork while they already have possession of the firearm. So i could have a rifle, and then register it within 10 days. I'm not a politican, but i tell you that will never fly here.
    Doesnt exist a "irregular shooter" in a club.If there is mandatory attendance per month or year and you show up on those designated amounts,no problem.If you show up more no bother and welcome.
    Just so long as you abide by the attendance rules,everyone is happy.

Once again you haven't answered my question, but instead choose to concentrate on the "reasons" i gave why someone would/could not attend as often as they would like or should. What happens these people? If you do not hit the designated number of attendances per year you're out?
    Thats your take on it and it is totally WRONG!!!
    The "piss poor system" as you describe it!:mad::mad::mad: Has been working since the late 19th centurty very well thank you very much.

In your opinon, not mine.
    Any clubs do that here,an OAP rate????

The MNSCI that i know off. I think i remember reading on the NASRPC website that they offer reduced rates for OAP. Not sure if thats the fees for membership or comps. I'm sure there are more.
    BUT the point is a car or truck is 100%more deadlier than a firearm

No its not. As we have argued here for ages the object is not the issue its the person weilding the object. Plus as i've already said it a silly comparisons. 170,000 licensed firearm holders on controled ranges/club grounds/hunting grounds. 2.5 million+ motorists on the roads every day.

./................ but what are nutters killing them and us with here more motor vechicles or firearms ???

You've just made my point for me. Perhaps stricter licensing of cars should be enacted. If people had to jump through the hoops we do for a firearm to get a car maybe they wouldn't take it for granted.
    Uh huh! So we havent got in our current legislation... Approved range designs from Canada?The post of Range inspector from Canadian law either? The three year liscense,[orginally five years] from the UK legislation?

Its obvious you do not know what i mean so i'll explain it to you. I was refering to taking the "choice" pieces of legislation from numerous different countries then trying to mangle them together and expect them to work. The current legislation and its origins are half the problem. We need an Irish solution to an Irish problem. Not taking more laws and trying to make them work for us.
    it might be an idea to be abit more open to some new ideas,while not having to slavlishly adapt them 100% ,have an open mind about them?

I, contrary to the tone of my responses, would love to see a better, more fluid system in the hands of a body that would work it to the letter of the law and not be influenced by political winds or personal agendas.

In your words "NEWSFLASH". Its Ireland. Gang killings with illegal guns - Government response = limit, and ban handguns. Impose stricter laws. Create a contradictional system with different levels of equality/application from district to district.

I, and every other shooter out there, can see the problems and could possibly give 100 better solutions. Problem is we will not be listened to or even consulted with. And at the end of the day we have no say in how future legislation will be written. With a stroke of his pen the new minister can undo certain limitations or make matters worse.

So even changing the minds of the average shooter and having us all running smoothly means nothing if those that write the laws are not of the same mindset. They never have been, continue not to be, and will most likely never be persuaded to change.

I hope to be corrected on this, but probably not in my time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    Loosing patience with me and still not explaining or answering what i have asked is not an answer.
    Could you do me the courtsey of then asking exactly what you are looking for in an answer??I'm doing the best with what I have and it seems to me you are asking the same questions again and again!
    I've stated twice that you have a hunting liscense in Germany for life...Yet you ask the same question again here in this post.

Ok again cutting and pasting this,as IVe just lost 2hours worth of keyboard work replying to this thread,by a brown ou and its 3am:(
    Do you think people that complain about paying €120(ish) for HCAP, €80 for a 3 year license, and €X for club/range fees will pay €2,500+ for more courses, fees, etc. ?
    They mightnt have much choice in the future the way the EU encroaches more into our lives.I hate to say it but that will proably be cheap in Ireland knowing the way we like to screw each other for as much as possible.I refer to the IDS meeting where they are suggesting that the deer liscense should be 100 euros PA and the mandatory HCAP test for all stalkers...
    How long before THAT is screwed up to those kind of prices here???
    Also the 2,500 is a relative price that has A ONCE off price to go to a cramming school for six weeks to do the hunting course to get a lifetime liscense.
    Fair point in a country with over 60 odd million people
    And it wouldnt be benefical in a country of 4.5 million with an overstretched,undermanned on the street,miniscule civillian staff ,facing cuts police force???

You can explain this point again
    ?
    Without boring everyone to death on German historical firearms laws??

They might be slow, but so are the relevant authorities here.
    To the point of Tectonic plate shifting!No one in Europe would put up with the slowness of the Irish civil servant..well,maybe the Italians..they make us look hyper efficent.:D
    So what you are saying is it is very much like the system in the North where the person is licensed. One license - multiple firearms
    Got it in one!:D

So how do you get a license? I mean the firearms/permit book. If you don't have to register the gun for 10 days how do you get the book in the first place
    Issued to you by the council,on production of satisfactory paperwork showing you passed the State exam on hunting or completion and recommendation the exams revelant to your target shooting disipline.

? Say you don't hunt. Must it be a range? how much is the firearms license?AFIK now it costs 150 euros to issue,can be possibly different in various States.
    Dont hunt?You are a sport shooter with a huge amount of disiplines to be involved in if you have the time and money.Or you are a blackpowder shooter,or a wild west cowboy shooter,or a gun collector,or a biathalon competitor,or are into airgun target shooting[no hunting with airguns over there.]
    Must it be a range
    ,BTW you can happily plink on your own private property.So long as it is safe to do so and the bulletts canot leave your property,and you are not bothering anyone else like the neighbours with noise or other disturbance.
    So if you want to convert your house cellar to a mini shooting range to fire your air pistol or 470 elephant rifle..Go right ahead.

however that is betimes difficult in German cities and the countryside where folks live in either rented apartments or small surburban houses.So most just go to the nearest convient range appropriate to their disipline
    For how long?
    Bar you doing somthing criminal or being comitted to a nut house.You have it for life!!Until the day you are boxed,blessed and buried !!!Same as your driving liscense too.
    The major difference being the person must complete their paperwork while they already have possession of the firearm. So i could have a rifle, and then register it within 10 days. I'm not a politican, but i tell you that will never fly here.
    Of course it wont.We are too untrustworthy.:rolleyes:

Once again you haven't answered my question, but instead choose to concentrate on the "reasons" i gave why someone would/could not attend as often as they would like or should. What happens these people? If you do not hit the designated number of attendances per year you're out?
    Then ask a clearer more understandable question!:)
    Nothing happens to them ..There is an asssumption of innocence until proven otherwise..You are not suspected of going off to get a "trophy liscense" ,as you have already done the probation and are liscensed anyway for life to posses whatever guns for your disipline.[That might be changing]So unless there is some good reason that you must attend the club[IE house rules,not govt rules] and your membership is paid..Grand.

Being abit more cautious nowadays after three school massacres:rolleyes:,it is possible that IF your attendance was extremly erratic somone might sit you down with a beer and have a chat to ask is everything OK.Thats the whole idea of the probation time to get a handle on your chacter.If you were outgoing and are suddenly taciturn or never shot more than 10 shots an hour and are putting 60 downrange per five minutes,maybe,just maybe somone might be abit concerned??

In your opinon, not mine
    And like a certain smelly part of our anatomy we all have one!;)

The MNSCI that i know off. I think i remember reading on the NASRPC website that they offer reduced rates for OAP. Not sure if thats the fees for membership or comps. I'm sure there are more.
    shouldnt even have to ask that question..It should be SOP on any club.:(
    No its not. As we have argued here for ages the object is not the issue its the person weilding the object. Plus as i've already said it a silly comparisons. 170,000 licensed firearm holders on controled ranges/club grounds/hunting grounds. 2.5 million+ motorists on the roads every day.
    Not disagreeing with the nut behind the wheel bit.Point is the cavalier attitude given to motor vechicles and their dangers,and their ease of purchase of a 100% more leathl potential weapon than a gun.

. Perhaps stricter licensing of cars should be enacted. If people had to jump through the hoops we do for a firearm to get a car maybe they wouldn't take it for granted.

Couldnt agree more with you. :D

Its obvious you do not know what i mean so i'll explain it to you. I was refering to taking the "choice" pieces of legislation from numerous different countries then trying to mangle them together and expect them to work. The current legislation and its origins are half the problem. We need an Irish solution to an Irish problem. Not taking more laws and trying to make them work for us.

Sorry..That IS an Irish solution to an Irish problem.We cog legislation off everyone and monkey it to fit the current Govts purposes.Prefably the UK's and then make it more draconian to be sure to be sure. :rolleyes:

TO BE CONTINUED

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I
    , contrary to the tone of my responses, would love to see a better, more fluid system in the hands of a body that would work it to the letter of the law and not be influenced by political winds or personal agendas.

So would I,and the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.
    We have come many steps,and have to go back quite a few too.But the point is we are on this journey andwe should keep our eyes open to possible opportunities to make it easier,or quicker to get where we want to go.Not keep looking at our feet.
    IOW we should be opent to thinking outside the box.

In your words "NEWSFLASH". Its Ireland. Gang killings with illegal guns - Government response = limit, and ban handguns. Impose stricter laws. Create a contradictional system with different levels of equality/application from district to district.

Indeed..Germany has had three school shootings a shooting in a court room and a female lawyer going off her trolly and shooting her ex husband and kids!!In the last five years!! One of them [Erfurt ] happened on the day the Bundestag was to discuss the firearms laws and possible upgrades...End effect...They STILL have their firearms,and it cost a Red /Green political colation a Govt.
    Reason..The German shooting organisations,who squabble and bicker amongst themselves just as much as ours do,and take each other to court as well.Have learned to punch politically and in PR well above their weight class.Nor do they throw a disipline that might be attracting unwelcome PR to the wolves..[Unlike over here..The whole IPSC saga is a good example]
    They have realised that any legislation banning somthing,will have ripple effects all the way down onto them as well.
    Also they have the "inverse 5% rule" IE 95% of people do somthing to support their sport and 5% do the moaning.

we didnt even survive a murder that didnt even involve a legal handgun,and was long fortold by Aherne that he was looking for an excuse fair or foul to tighten up on firearms legislation at the GRA AGM of that year.As usual we were too busy arguing amongst ourselves to see the outside threat that could overwhelm us all.But whats new??We have been like that since the Vikings landed here...

I, and every other shooter out there, can see the problems and could possibly give 100 better solutions. Problem is we will not be listened to or even consulted with. And at the end of the day we have no say in how future legislation will be written. With a stroke of his pen the new minister can undo certain limitations or make matters worse.

YES WE CAN!But it requires a more than 100% input both time wise and financially wise than what we [including myself] are putting into our sports.We certainly must learn to punch above our weight class in the Irish political arena.But that requires us getting proper shooting PR and reps on a paid not voulantary basis,and already that will cause unmitigated problems.Until we stop being allowed to be divided by ouselves we will always be conqured.
    So even changing the minds of the average shooter and having us all running smoothly means nothing if those that write the laws are not of the same mindset. They never have been, continue not to be, and will most likely never be persuaded to change.

I hope to be corrected on this, but probably not in my time.[

Not necessarily true either.I never thought I'd see pistols back here ,or see somthing like the FCP,while a toothless thing,it is still a first step.
    And if we were running alot smoother and functioning abit more efficently and realising we are gunowners first and whatever disipline second that any legislation affects all in some way.I think any politican wanting to make a name for themselves on our backs would think twice after being chewed and spat out by an efficent PR machine and peed offf local shooters showing up at his clinic to voice their protest..In the nicest possible way of course!

• Advertisement

Grizzly45 wrote:
    TO BE CONTINUED

Not for long because we are never going to agree on this, and i simply haven't the patience to keep at this "back and forth" with you.

As i see it. There are countries (not just Germany) that have legislation that would suit us shooters better than what we currently have. No arguement there. My problem(s) is as follows:
    • The fee of €2,500. Not exceedingly expensive especially for lifetime hunting license, but you will get about 10% able or willing to pay it. The rest will not.
    • Like it or not An Gardai are the licensing authority in this country. Expecially in a time were jobs are being lost to setup and have a civilian authority to run it, however more effective they may be, will not happen. Its easier for the PTB to lump it onto the Gardai.
    • You speak of the respect and trustworthiness of Germans (no jokes please) in relation to their firearms. While the accident and incidents involving legally held firearms in Ireland is very, very small we as a people do not have this. Thats not an insult its fact. To prove my point the chap that gives me my deer permissions every year for the last 9 years still will not give me his Folio number. In his words "i don't want them knowing".
    • The changes you are suggesting, whether for the better or not, require trust, respect and reliance by the government in it's people. Look back along our history. The laws are getting tougher and stricter. Nationwide firearm "seizures" in the 70's, with progressively tougher laws since. That shows the level of confidence that is placed in Irish shooters by its government. ie - None.
    It has been said before that about 6-10 people (if that) know the firearms laws in this country inside and out. The problems are deeper than simply changing the laws/SIs/Acts. While i am repeating myself its worth saying. There will be no changes in either the near or immediate future until there is a drastic change in attitudes. How many times have we been the "whipping boys" for some re-actional legislation in response to a public outcry?

What i'd like to see:
    1. Civilian authority to impliment new licensing system.
    2. Level fair application of laws around the country with 6 - 12 month reviews looking at the amount of refusal and items refused per district.
    3. Single license to hold multiple firearms.
    4. Once cleared for your first license/firearm the process for any additional firearm to be done within 14 days.
    5. The license itself to have a barcode and photo ONLY.
    6. All Garda stations/dealers to have scanners to read the licenses.
    7. Dealers to have a "Dealer Section" of PULSE to speed up the process.
    8. Dedicated safety courses recognised by An Gardai with a cap on the fees to prevent abuse.
    9. A proper stalking/hunting course from recognised body/organisation that covers more than what is currently covered.
    10. Refresher courses every 5 years to maintain lincese.
    11. License to last as long as shooter with yearly land permissions submitted for records. So you keep the same licnese for as long as you shoot, but due to the nature of how Irish shooters get their land permissions those not leasing must submit "refresher" permissions on either a yearly or 3 year basis to run concurrently with their firearm licnese.
    12. A wider variety of firearms. No more i do not like the look of that laws.
    13. Restricted list on C/F pistols to be abolished.
    14. Abolishing of the 1 Joule limit on Air rifle.
    15. Training licenses for 12 year olds.
    16. Full licenses for 14 year old (and up).
    There are probably more, but i'm only after getting a couple of hours sleep as the young lad is ill, so i'll add to this as i think or feel free to add your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I'd be happy if the Three year licence did not lose it's lettering after 3 months and had a Picture and Pulse Number ONLY

I'd like to see one Licence rather than having to carry 2,3,4,5,6 or what ever it may be.

but since we can't have a proper driving licence that is probably wishful thinking

Although it was a great Ice breaker in Texas showing my PINK Irish "Gay" licence as they called it :D

This is NOT Germany yet, until we default on our loan that is Her Flíc :p

Anyway, I'm off out to do a bit of crop patrol now to keep the local farmer happy.
    ScareDeer Man is what I will be, at least until his Section 42 comes through.
    Now where is my Wurzel Gummage outfit??:D:D

<P.S, sorry for interrupting this debate, but feck me pink, how long to write these Essays lads? >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

but since we can't have a proper driving licence that is probably wishful thinking
    AFAIK cabinet are in the process of (finally) approving the transition to a credit-card style driving license. Give it another 10 years or so and shooting may catch up...

[
    QUOTE=Ezridax;72247075]Not for long because we are never going to agree on this, and i simply haven't the patience to keep at this "back and forth" with you.

Maybe if you read at what time I posted my last post a 03:00 and I had just lost 2hours worth of typing due to a blackout:mad:.It would make the TO BE CONTINUED comment more understandable.I wasnt going to keep typing till 06:00.So if you consider this "back and forth" fine by me too.
    actually we are agreeing on alot more points that you would belive.
    As i see it. There are countries (not just Germany) that have legislation that would suit us shooters better than what we currently have. No arguement there. My problem(s) is as follows:
    • The fee of €2,500. Not exceedingly expensive especially for lifetime hunting license, but you will get about 10% able or willing to pay it. The rest will not.
    Well,unfortunatly what happens if it becomes law ,or somthing like this???
    I dont want to pay 2.5k either..But I have just paid this anyway in DC costs to keep my handgun and rifle!So putting it in perspective,you will pay this type of money one way or the other here to keep shooting.
    Like it or not An Gardai are the licensing authority in this country. Expecially in a time were jobs are being lost to setup and have a civilian authority to run it, however more effective they may be, will not happen. Its easier for the PTB to lump it onto the Gardai.
    Of course,but it will come down eventually that a cull of the Irish civil servant herd will happen,and it more than likely will occur once the loaners start biting abit harder on efficency.So while it might be still a Garda function it more than likley will be eventually a civillian admin job.
    You speak of the respect and trustworthiness of Germans (no jokes please) in relation to their firearms. While the accident and incidents involving legally held firearms in Ireland is very, very small we as a people do not have this. Thats not an insult its fact. To prove my point the chap that gives me my deer permissions every year for the last 9 years still will not give me his Folio number. In his words "i don't want them knowing".

No offence at all,and I agree 100% with the above.

The changes you are suggesting, whether for the better or not, require trust, respect and reliance by the government in it's people. Look back along our history. The laws are getting tougher and stricter. Nationwide firearm "seizures" in the 70's, with progressively tougher laws since. That shows the level of confidence that is placed in Irish shooters by its government. ie - None.
    Very true unfortunatly...And this is a point we the people ,not just gunowners should be asking of our Govts.WHY is there a distrust of the average citizen in the ROI??The civil war is long over,the subversive threat is a minority of the pouplation,and the mainstream Republican party is now involved in the Govt!! So what are they afraid of??? Any govt that fears its citizens this much really has got some issues about somthing.

It has been said before that about 6-10 people (if that) know the firearms laws in this country inside and out. The problems are deeper than simply changing the laws/SIs/Acts. While i am repeating myself its worth saying. There will be no changes in either the near or immediate future until there is a drastic change in attitudes. How many times have we been the "whipping boys" for some re-actional legislation in response to a public outcry?

Plenty of times...And maybe we have to get abit more reactive about being the whipping boys in these situations??Thats what I'd like to see.

What i'd like to see:
    2. Level fair application of laws around the country with 6 - 12 month reviews looking at the amount of refusal and items refused per district.
    4. Once cleared for your first license/firearm the process for any additional firearm to be done within 14 days.
    8. Dedicated safety courses recognised by An Gardai with a cap on the fees to prevent abuse.
    9. A proper stalking/hunting course from recognised body/organisation that covers more than what is currently covered.
    11. License to last as long as shooter with yearly land permissions submitted for records. So you keep the same licnese for as long as you shoot, but due to the nature of how Irish shooters get their land permissions those not leasing must submit "refresher" permissions on either a yearly or 3 year basis to run concurrently with their firearm licnese.
    There are probably more, but i'm only after getting a couple of hours sleep as the young lad is ill, so i'll add to this as i think or feel free to add your own.

Bar points 5,9 and 10..I want the same thing.
    On point 5, It should be a secured chip& pin containing the photo encoded in the chip.no reason for it to be on the liscense in clear view.

9 IF this was a necessity,I'd rather it was a State exam,run along the lines of about the only fair&square exam in Ireland,the leaving cert.

10. Unnecessary and would be used simply as a money spinner.Better applied to driving liscenses.Again,due to the simple mass of road deaths contra gun deaths here.

So by and large I think we want 95% the same thing...We are just at odds as to how it should be achived in an Irish situation??So I'll leave it at thnat too.Hope you young fellah is well soon!
    Grizz

AFAIK cabinet are in the process of (finally) approving the transition to a credit-card style driving license. Give it another 10 years or so and shooting may catch up...

Do the words Hames,costly,and disaster spring to mind ???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

actually we are agreeing on alot more points that you would belive.

I know. I agree with some and not with others. Not to say i would be against any change, merely some.
    On point 5, It should be a secured chip& pin containing the photo encoded in the chip.no reason for it to be on the liscense in clear view.

Better again.:cool:
    9. IF this was a necessity,I'd rather it was a State exam,run along the lines of about the only fair&square exam in Ireland,the leaving cert.

As said if it were compulsory then yes.
    10. Unnecessary and would be used simply as a money spinner.Better applied to driving liscenses.Again,due to the simple mass of road deaths contra gun deaths here.

My thinking behind the refresher course is for a nominal fee to cover charges. Its a half day, and most importantly is to make sure the land the person used to get the license is still available to them. As alot of land used for stalking/shooting is private and not leased there would be little point in giving someone a "license for life" if the land they originally got their license on was no longer available to them.
    Also for leased land. If the lease expires after 5 years or whatever time frame then a new lease in another area is gotten the person should be able to tranfer the license and/or do a refresher course to update the details.

My main reason for this "debate" is not to argue the validity of how our current system works better than any other from another country, but merely to point out the obvious fact that it will never be implimented here no matter how we long for it. As i said to the OP in my opening post i do not intend to insult or be dismissive of someone's ideas. I think its great that people are thinking of newer, better ways to improve the system, however i cannot see any new regulatios/legislation coming irrespective of the source.
    .Hope you young fellah is well soon!
    Grizz

He is on the mend, cheers.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

What i'd like to see:

A refresher course? Why? Incase you forget how to hold a gun after using it for 5 years?

Sounds like a money racket to me. the other stuff on your list is good though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Daegerty wrote: »
    A refresher course? Why? Incase you forget how to hold a gun after using it for 5 years?
    From what Ezri wrote, I'd guess it's in case you get a newbie who hunts for a year, then wanders away for a few years, to ensure they still know how to do it properly when they come back to it.

Sparks wrote: »
    From what Ezri wrote, I'd guess it's in case you get a newbie who hunts for a year, then wanders away for a few years, to ensure they still know how to do it properly when they come back to it.

Its not really fair that the rest of us should be burdened with expensive refresher courses just for a few forgetful part-timers like that though

Its not really fair that the rest of us should be burdened with expensive refresher courses just for a few forgetful part-timers like that though
    (a) It's a wishlist, not a list of upcoming legislation from the Minister :D
    (b) The alternative is that you let the department know what you're doing all the time. I think there might be some mild resistance to that idea.

I'm assuming your ability to scroll up ONE POST is not working so allow me to show you.
    My thinking behind the refresher course is for a nominal fee to cover charges. Its a half day, and most importantly is to make sure the land the person used to get the license is still available to them. As alot of land used for stalking/shooting is private and not leased there would be little point in giving someone a "license for life" if the land they originally got their license on was no longer available to them.
    Also for leased land. If the lease expires after 5 years or whatever time frame then a new lease in another area is gotten the person should be able to tranfer the license and/or do a refresher course to update the details.

Sparks wrote: »
    (a) It's a wishlist, not a list of upcoming legislation from the Minister :D
    (b) The alternative is that you let the department know what you're doing all the time. I think there might be some mild resistance to that idea.

why is a refresher course or letting them know what you're doing even necessary? i don't see the lack of either of those things now causing any problems

it seems like fixing thigns that 'aint broke and promoting regulatory creep.

why is a refresher course or letting them know what you're doing even necessary?

Where is Grizzly45?

If you read back through all the posts you will see this is the one point we both agreed on. Its this attitude of "Why do you want to know" that will prevent us from ever achieving a newer system.

it seems like fixing thigns that 'aint broke
    How many stories have you heard over the years of deer found with .22lr rounds or even #6 shot in them? Or of blatent out-and-out poaching? Because I've lost count, and I'm not even a hunter. "ain't broke" doesn't strike me as an accurate evaluation.

But adding a nother layer of new legislation or tests wont sort that out either.Finding out who is doing this,apprehending and charging and fining the Hell out of them/jailing them will.There are plenty of laws as it stands ,lets enforce properly whats there first!

Its ironic that to use the German example.... yet again:)...Poaching is virtually a nill problem in the German hunting community or on their reserves.Simply because there is an extreme high risk involved to being a poacher,if you are a "liscensed hunter" poacher.You will NEVER get any type of firearms cert again and will pay a severe fine or do jail time! END of!!
    As well as that you can be assured there is either you or somone of the consortium out at any hours possibly on the shoot.Be it counting deer at the salt lick,fixing somthing,or night hunting for boar,or foxes etc during off season.

Not to mind there is still a little hangover from postwar laws,that gives the German hunter the right to use Deadly force if necessary in apprehension or self defence when dealing with poachers!!:eek::eek:.

• Advertisement

Not to mind there is still a little hangover from postwar laws,that gives the German hunter the right to use Deadly force if necessary in apprehension or self defence when dealing with poachers!!:eek::eek:..
    Can you imagine how fast mentioning that little aspect of the law would take any discussion with the PTB from two-sided talks, to the PTB representatives wondering how fast they could end the meeting and leave and whether or not their security clearances would now have odd question marks on them just for meeting us?

Dont think the PTB need worry about that one Sparks..It is proably the only country that has that in the World ASFIK.Also,I dont think anyone in Germany has bagged a poacher since...Oh...1918 or thereabouts.;):D.
    Nor do I think anyone would be too enthaustic to try their hand at having a shoot out,and then having a civil trial from the relatives of the poachers...It's just a quirky law ,that still does have a deterrent effect .

Dont think it has got to that stage here.... yet!!:D

Advertisement