Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get your child baptised?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Since it's communion season... would you get your (future) children baptised and go through the childhood catholic rituals with them even if you aren't a practising catholic.

I myself wouldn't like to have my child baptised, I don't personally like the hypocracy of not caring about religion and then putting that on to my child, the only thing is you may need to get them a place into the local school and so on

Would you have your children baptised? 522 votes

Yes (practising catholic)
    0% 0 votes
    Yes (non-practising)
    14% 75 votes
    Yes (just for convenience)
    15% 80 votes
    No
    10% 56 votes
    atari jaguar
    59% 311 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Its not just about religion, your child will feel left out when its communion time and they dont get to join in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.
    Have four children and none of them have been subjected involuntary to that process.
    If they want to when they are old enough to decide as mature teens or adults, so be it.
    Until then, who am I to force any one individual religious indoctrination and process upon them.
    Presently some attend (and others shortly will) also "Educate Together" schools to in also to aid further freer thinking and openness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

poll added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I wasn't baptised - I didn't baptise my kids...I come from a long time of heathens. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

No, they can make their own minds up whenever. Along with that I wouldn't be able to afford the almighty piss up that my many relatives would insist on having afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

biggins my respect for you has grown immensly.

people just don't see the prejudice that exists against those of no religion in this country.

let them be educated in a non partisan manner and determine their own feelings on the subject over time, morality and religion are seperate, as clearly shown by the catholic church in this country and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yep, it's easier to get into the good schools around here if you're Catholic. If that changes, then I wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Have a two year old that I hope is the first in a long line of heathens.

If he decides otherwise then I'll respect his decision - as long as it's not just to cash in on the sacraments.

phasers wrote: »
    Yep, it's easier to get into the good schools around here if you're Catholic. If that changes, then I wouldn't bother.
    See if there is one of these schools near you: http://www.educatetogether.ie/
    There is more opening soon and they are the fastest growing (and wanted by the public) education system in Ireland presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

No. The whole washing the sins away from an innocent little child in baptism never sat well with me. The only reason my mother baptised me and my brothers was so that we would be a part of things in school like communion and confirmations. 'Everyone else is doing it' mentality. She always regretted that though and has said herself she felt pressured into doing it.
    Educate together schools are fantastic, and I would definately encourage my children (if i had any) to learn about religions, but not just Christianity. They can make up their own minds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Depends, if I thought they would get in to a better school then, yes, I would have them baptised even though I am a non practicing catholic, atheist even.

If there was a non-denominational option that was a good school then I would choose that but if there wasn't then I would lie about my religion for their sake and seek forgiveness!!

I would want whatever is best for the child, religious or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I have done. Doesn't mean anything to me tbh. Did it to keep the parents and in-laws somewhat happy and it was a good excuse for a bit of a do with family and friends, actually.

Unfortunately, we don't have the option of an Educate Together school where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Only if I'm allowed to do it in a down by the river style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nope, wouldn't have'em baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Im expecting at the minute, and this topic is a hot debate in our house.. I am a non practicing catholic and dont like the idea of getting the child baptised - but if it was a case of getting him/her into a good school or not then i might have to give in and go with it.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I have done. Doesn't mean anything to me tbh. Did it to keep the parents and in-laws somewhat happy and it was a good excuse for a bit of a do with family and friends, actually.

Unfortunately, we don't have the option of an Educate Together school where I live.

this is a big problem for people, schools should be non-religious, you should learn about religions thats about it, if parents want their kids baptised and the likes they should do it on their own time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Biggins wrote: »
    See if there is one of these schools near you: http://www.educatetogether.ie/
    There is more opening soon and they are the fastest growing (and wanted by the public) education system in Ireland presently.

Thanks for that Biggins, there is one of those in my area and they look like really good schools, although I would need to do more research into the local one. Right, better get working on the baby then :pac:

• Advertisement

In some cases there is no clear cut solution to the quandary of "should or shouldn't I?"

What does stick out is the gap between the true fundamental idea/nature of the process itself and those that are going through with it just for advantageous reason beyond religions aspects alone.

Some would (understandably) subject their child to such a religious process in hope of it might gain them a foothold in a nearest or better educational establishment, it might gain them better financially (short or long term) or it might allow their offspring just to be able avoid any stigmatisation in not been baptised and avoid being sidelined.

Those that advocate "your child will feel left out when its communion time and they don't get to join in.. " - well this might be true in some cases but then as its communion (or confirmation) that will be taking place, in order to get to that stage, they already have been baptised anyway!
    (You have to be baptised previously, to be allowed further take the later stages)

So some are giving in to subjecting their kids to the process for secondary reasons - not the prime one, the religious aspect of it alone.
    If your going to do this, the reason why your doing this or have done this already, should be made clear to the young minds at an appropriate time when you assess that they will understand.
    To say nothing, is just to leave them thinking in the realm that Ma/Da did it just for the religious aspect - and that would be hypocritical.
    ...When in truth, the real reason for a baptism might be far from the religious aspects alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Theres gonna be a lot of kids pissed off that they have missed out on communion and confirmation - and the cash that goes with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No, of course not

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

More than likely. I'm none practising my self, but if am ever lucky enough to meet someone and have a kid with them, it would be something that would be discussed.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Theres gonna be a lot of kids pissed off that they have missed out on communion and confirmation - and the cash that goes with it!
    Not if you raise them right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Yes,i have and i will be again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Might as well have a Poll asking people if they are practicing paedophiles, might even be less stigma attached to it.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    There's gonna be a lot of kids pissed off that they have missed out on communion and confirmation - and the cash that goes with it!
    You have a point - however if your lucky enough to get a place in a school that is based on a true multi-denominational system, that problem does not arise.
    As these types of schools are growing, thankfully those that might be subjected previously to such bullying/stigmatisation/pressure, are dying out - maybe not fast enough, but are indeed dying out.

A lot more people is willing to stand up to this religious pressure coming from others.
    In the case of my relatives, we (the wife and I) got similar pressures from family.
    Well we were of our own minds as what way to go and added to that then was the thought "who the fcuk do they think they are to try and bully us and our kids into joining their religious order!".
    We made it immediately clear to them that they could piss right off!
    The more some tried to bully us - the more we said "fcuk you! - we have the balls to not to give into out of date, antiquated mode of thinking, bullying and pressure".

One should not give into bullying/pressure in ALL its forms.
    To condemn others for doing such bullying/pressure applied actions (by any method) elsewhere but giving in yourself in some cases is just plain hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Baptising children into a cult you don't believe in just for the money is absolutely ridiculous, I cannot believe anyone would even mention it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Yes, I christened my daughter and will christen my new baby too, even though i am a non practising catholic (I do believe in God (or something) though).
    I suppose i christen them to make their choice for them to be a catholic and whether they wish to practice or not when they get older is their choice.

Advertisement