Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get your child baptised?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

^^ There were people in my school (CofI) who weren't baptised. You can get into a school without a baptism form, but you will be second preference currently. I think this should be gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

bluewolf wrote: »
    Once you are in the catholic church you cannot officially defect, so you are making that life long choice for them
    There is absolutely nothing to stop a child from opting out of making their Confirmation if they don't want to. Later on, if he/she wants to marry they can marry in a registery office instead of church so I disagree with your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Given that it is compulsory for parent/s to send their kid/s to school what is the legal positon when the parents of an unbaptised child (or a child baptised/christened in a minority community) cannot find ANY school in their area which will admit their kids. Is the legal onus on the Parents or the Department to resolve this ?
    MrsD007 wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing to stop a child from opting out of making their Confirmation if they don't want to.

How many 11 year olds do you know who are in a position to make a reasoned independent judgement regarding such a thing without outside pressure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Probly not directly related, but just a few minutes ago, a progam about Nazi concentrations camps on RTE2 ended saying most of the SS officers - who were directly responsible for gassing two thirds of all of Europes Jews of that time - 2.3 million or so - escaped procecution by smuggling themsevles to South America as Catholic priests with the help of Vatican. :eek::eek:

On further research, there's some truth to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratlines_%28World_War_II%29

I am so disappointed that this country is in the grips of such a terrible crowd! :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    How many 11 year olds do you know who are in a position to make a reasoned independent judgement regarding such a thing without outside pressure ?

Obviously their parents would support their position, otherwise there's no way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

bluewolf wrote: »
    Once you are in the catholic church you cannot officially defect, so you are making that life long choice for them

I have defected but I think this facility has been stopped now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

optogirl wrote: »

Put on hold while some stuff gets sorted out. It should really be sorted out quickly although I have my doubts.

optogirl wrote: »

Why do people care so much? The census is the only figure that really matters. If you want to leave, don't have any functional part to do with church and that's it.

If you're not interested in church, just forget about it. Use the census to express your current stand because that's the only register that will actually matter in terms of State decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I will not be having any future children baptized. I won't be forcing any precedents upon them, be it their name, religion or affiliation to a particular sports team. I was given the same name, football team support and religion of my father. I would like my future children to have the chance be unique as they technically are.

I despise religion and do not consider myself a sheep among the unworthy flock I was forced into. I am being refused my polite request to defect from the Catholic church as they recently stopped accepting defections.

Most sane people wouldnt sign their infant child into a career they were compelled from leaving or an arranged marraige, so why sign them up to a sect of christianity that is the Hotel California of religions.

Also, does the OP's term practicing Catholic refer to mass goers or actually practicing Catholics, (never using contraception, etc) ?

philologos wrote: »
    Why do people care so much? The census is the only figure that really matters. If you want to leave, don't have any functional part to do with church and that's it.

If you're not interested in church, just forget about it. Use the census to express your current stand because that's the only register that will actually matter in terms of State decisions.

I simply don't want to be a part of the church anymore and wanted to officially leave. That is surely entirely up to me. I don't want to be counted amongst the numbers when they claim there are x amount of catholics in the world.
    I find the entire organisation offensive and do not want to be counted amongst their number - same as I would leave any club or organisation if I did not believe in their ethos or creed or if they had offended me to such a degree as the RCC have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭stimpson

Because if they are right about the second coming, Jesus is probably going to be pretty pissed with the church and I want to make sure I'm not affiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

myself and my partner are hoping to get married next year. it will be a civil ceromony and the first chance for his mother to freak out about us not having religon in our lives. she is extremly religous but knows that we do not practice but i think the reality of us not have a church wedding will hit her hard.

not amind when i tell her our childern will not be baptised. i really cant see her taking that well at all and it fills me with dread.

i would love to send out children to a ED school and i really hope that more will open in the comming years. until then i believe that all schools should open there doors to the children within a certain radius if there is no alternative available. entrance should not be based on your religion if you have little or no choice in what school to go to.

relgion should be taught last thing in the day so that parents can collect there children and take them home instead of having to sit at the back of the class and obsurb all the rubbish while doing there homework.

i esp remember the amount of time taken over for choir practice and learning about the sacraments on the lead up to the communion and conformation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

RE: Educate Together Schools. Supposing your child is born in March, and you put their name down to start school the September four years and 6 months later, You could already be TOO LATE even though your child is only just out of the womb. All of the babies born in the previous 8-9 months have pipped your baby to the post already!! (not to mention the babies who missed out from the previous year and re-applied for the following year). They've all beaten your baby to that school place before your child was even born.

For the record - and I'm involved with the Educate Together Org, places are served on a first come, first placed allocation. The ET schools are very strict about this. When the schools announce places are available for the next year, you can apply for your child. Now you can try applying in advance but please note the following!!!

As regards when your child is applicable to what year, the principles of when your child (to what year) is applicable, is laid down BY GOVERNMENT guidelines and regulations.
    It is NO fault of the ET schools so please get that fact straight and please don't try give the impression it is so!
    The governmental guidelines apply to ALL state schools as regards timing of your childs placement - be it a religious or non-religious school. Lets get that straight and correct for the get-go and not let it be used to have a go at the Educate Together system. That crap don't stand! :mad:
    So, you can send your child to school when he/she is maybe 5 and 6 or 7 months, which means paying for an extra year of nursery fees...
    ..Which you forget to mention of course, is that every child is allowed a government cresh allowance for a whole year term prior to them entering any standard school system - and there are many creshes which only charge the rate of which the government is paying out. If a parent decides to pay any more weekly, they do so for convenience, longer classes or other features/advantages.
    ...The above must have temporarily slipped your mind, that you forgot to mention it too!
    Or, you can drag your weary carcass to mass/church once a month and that suddenly looks like a reasonable plan b.
    No, it doesn't. It just makes one out to be a hypocrite and someone that is willing to possibly allow whats meant to be a 'fair to all' system to be abused in order to get one over another human being, more so it being a child.
    Nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

WEll. Theres this for starters. If you want a few other reasons just pick a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I care because I abhor the actions and official policies of the Catholic Church, I detest the hypocritical proselytsing on world poverty while they hoard priceless works of art and urge the poor to give up for charity.

I find the actions of the heirarchy in the sex abuse of children to be morally bankrupt, and the handling of the fallout to be cravenly inadequate.

I find their lack of care for the people they call their flock to be not just negligent, but crimminal. I despise the evasion of responsibility that ensued.

I do not want to be counted as one of them.

I think there's a significant but peculiar difference between those who are of the RCC background and those who are of other faith backgrounds who lapse / change beliefs.

Most of the latter category just leave and continue their lives without it. I'd have to say that I'd just leave if I had a problem with my church. If I didn't want that church to have any concern in my life why would I bother about some dusty record accounting for an illegitimate but nonetheless historical event (in your opinion).

It's quite clear to anyone that if you don't go to church and call yourself an atheist that you don't believe.

It's just an oddity that I find about the idea.

I think there's a significant but peculiar difference between those who are of the RCC background and those who are of other faith backgrounds who lapse / change beliefs.

Most of the latter category just leave and continue their lives without it. I'd have to say that I'd just leave if I had a problem with my church. If I didn't want that church to have any concern in my life why would I bother about some dusty record accounting for an illegitimate but nonetheless historical event (in your opinion).

It's quite clear to anyone that if you don't go to church and call yourself an atheist that you don't believe.

It's just an oddity that I find about the idea.

Well maybe if you were in the position where you had a problem with your church you would feel differently. I am definitely glad that I am officially no longer a member of the RCC

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

10 Reasons to get your Child Baptised:-

1) Great Party - your children will probably sleep through it...if your lucky.
    2) Gets your family and friends together.
    3) Allows you to make two of your extra special friends all the more special by making them God Mammy and God Daddy... making them extra extra special friends.
    4) Free Baby Sitters (God Parents)!!!!
    5) At least 3 future major parties assured - Communion, Confirmation and Wedding (If they are that type - polygamy.. meh) :):) : )
    6) 3 more sure sources of income for your child on these days.
    7) With the Confirmation they need a sponsor... another extra special friend and babysitter.... this time for your younger kids.
    8) Gives them some sort of moral grounding... what would holy god do?!?
    9) Gives them someone to blame when things go wrong
    10) Just in case.......

:):):):):D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

DJCR wrote: »
    10 Reasons to get your Child Baptised

Many people doing it get it done for those, or a selection of those very reasons. None of which have anything to actually do with baptism and what it should really mean.

I think I just had a funting aneurysm from all the idiocy in that post. Funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

3) Allows you to make two of your extra special friends all the more special by making them God Mammy and God Daddy... making them extra extra special friends.
    5) At least 3 future major parties assured - Communion, Confirmation and Wedding (If they are that type - polygamy.. meh) :):) : )
    7) With the Confirmation they need a sponsor... another extra special friend and babysitter.... this time for your younger kids.
    10) Just in case.......

Or you could just throw a big "I've had a baby!" party and get all those benefits without having to give a penny to the church. When other kids are making their communion/confirmation throw an "Isn't my child great?" party.

As for godparents, what about them? I haven't seen mine since I was 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

10) Just in case.......

So, nothing to do with actual religion or belief systems then?

Just money, parties and babysitters?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Yup! Any excuse for a session!

Plus the follow up sessions of Communion and Confirmations. I wouldn't deny my child all the cash they make.

I'm an honest sinner at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If the unfortunate wench who ends up spawning my offspring would like to have them baptized in a futile attempt to save them then I'm ok with that.

Baptisms are more traditional than anything else. If it makes the poor woman who harbored my child happy then what the hell. Fuck, if she wants them baptized by Ronald McDonald then that's cool too, either way I don't believe it means much (other than what DJCR suggested).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I've had both my children baptised and tbh I actually regret it now. We never go to mass unless it's a funeral or wedding etc. I don't even believe in religion anymore. I think for the most part my children were baptised due to family pressure (mostly from my mother!) and also it was like everyone just expected us to do it, like it's the done thing. Looking back now and if I had my time again I would just have a "welcome party" for the baby and then when my children are older they could decide if they wanted to be part of any religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I think I'll just have any possible offspring bar coded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Also, does the OP's term practicing Catholic refer to mass goers or actually practicing Catholics, (never using contraception, etc) ?

Presumably the ones who go to church are practising and the ones who dont use contraceptives are proficient :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Since it's communion season... would you get your (future) children baptised and go through the childhood catholic rituals with them even if you aren't a practising catholic.

I did!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Since it's communion season... would you get your (future) children baptised and go through the childhood catholic rituals with them even if you aren't a practising catholic.

I did!:p

Let me clarify the position, Between the vote at the top and the reply to the question ( I confess after a glass of brunello ) the optics of what I posted need clarification.

I am a practising Catholic, and I got my child baptised. I trust this clarifies the matter.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Christenings just for having a party? ****ing hell... Why not just... have a party?

Advertisement