Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get your child baptised?

Options

Comments

No, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mariaf24 wrote: »
    Yes, I christened my daughter and will christen my new baby too, even though i am a non practising catholic (I do believe in God (or something) though).
    I suppose i christen them to make their choice for them to be a catholic and whether they wish to practice or not when they get older is their choice.

Once you are in the catholic church you cannot officially defect, so you are making that life long choice for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I have done and probably will do again.

Although I do see the hypocrisy of this as both my partner and I are non-practicing catholics.

It even feels a bit weird talking to them about Jesus & God and the whole Catholic dogma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I was baptized and confirmed, did me no harm.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Once you are in the catholic church you cannot officially defect, so you are making that life long choice for them

You can removed from the Catholic Church if you wish...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Correct. The heads of Rome have decided to make it extremely harder - near impossible, to leave their order.
    See: http://www.countmeout.ie/suspension/
    ...the Church in Ireland released the following statement to RTE News:

The Holy See confirmed at the end of August that it was introducing changes to Canon Law and as a result it will no longer be possible to formally defect from the Catholic Church. This will not alter the fact that many people can defect from the Church, and continue to do so, albeit not through a formal process.

lastlaugh wrote: »
    You can removed from the Catholic Church if you wish...

not anymore

not anymore

Didn't know that, that's bit sneaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I was baptised and my kids are. If you are not baptised you cannot marry in a catholic church I think. It all gets a bit complicated later when you have to be baptised, confirmed etc to marry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Do you feel you'd done enough wrong by the time of baptism to warrant being purged of your sins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Do you feel you'd done enough wrong by the time of baptism to warrant being purged of your sins?

Probably shat himself a couple of times, if that warrants it :D

hondasam wrote: »
    I was baptised and my kids are. If you are not baptised you cannot marry in a catholic church I think. It all gets a bit complicated later when you have to be baptised, confirmed etc to marry.

In fairness if you arent a catholic you shouldnt be marrying in their church anyway, there are plenty of scenic places to go instead

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Didn't know that, that's bit sneaky.
    Its disgustingly underhand (but we are talking about Rome!).
    Once they have you, they refuse now to let you go officially.
    What will be entered on your birth cert - will stay that way till the day you die - and even then they get to decide and rule over you what you are, where you will be buried to a good extent and what is/is not allowed to be stated on your tombstone.

So... Here you go son. I signed you up to a religious order, if you like it or not - and your stuck with it officially till the day you die and then some!

"Thanks Ma and Da!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I've a 3 year old & a 2 year old, neither baptized, their mother & myself are atheists.
    There is a Catholic Primary school across the road from my house.
    If they get refused entry based on religious first I'll be bringing this matter to the media.
    On another note, well done Ruari Quinn, there should be more like you.

In fairness if you arent a catholic you shouldnt be marrying in their church anyway, there are plenty of scenic places to go instead

what if you partner is, there has to be compromise. we Don't choose to pick a person by their religion.

what if you partner is, there has to be compromise. we Don't choose to pick a person by their religion.

Yes, but the compromise is not to baptise someone at birth just in case they happen to meet a catholic partner later in life! Same could be true if they're any religion!

Yes, but the compromise is not to baptise someone at birth just in case they happen to meet a catholic partner later in life! Same could be true if they're any religion!

I know but you see what I mean, once marriage and babies happen we sometimes have to make choices that we Don't necessarily agree with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I am a Christian so obviously as such not a Catholic. I find Catholicism a despicable, judgemental religion and therefore I really really really do not want to baptise any children I might have in the future and force them to be catholics forever. :rolleyes:

However, I want to send any children I have to a Gaelscoil so I fear I may be forced into compromising between baptising them into a religion I don't want them to be or sending them to a school I don't really want them to go to. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i hate this "cult" and "oppressed" nonsense when the issue of religion or what it is to be a catholic is raised. it comes across as though you're not "enlightened" because you happen to have a religion. i consider myself to be a perfectly enlightened roman catholic, yes i was lapsed for a few years, i was even opposed to a church wedding, but i did want my son baptised a catholic, and not for finances, or schools, etc, but because i would like him to follow in my faith.

and since i have started taking him to mass i myself have found it good to just go once a week, say a prayer, it also even gives me a chance to spend some time with my son as after mass we head down to the park and talk on the way about what he learned in mass.

there is far more to catholicism than just money for communion or confirmation and my son doesnt seem "oppressed" or "subjected" to any kind of mental torture for having gone to church, said a few prayers, and having faith in something.

im not the most articulate with words, and im sure there are those that could argue this idea a lot better than myself. i know what i WANT to say, but i just cant find the right phrasiology to express it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I wasn't baptised and didn't make my communion and confirmation. I went to a catholic primary school and two secondary schools which had orders of nuns associated with them. It did me no harm.
    No you don't. I have 2 sisters who were married in Ireland and neither they nor their husbands are baptised or confirmed catholics. Aside from that, if you are a non practising catholic, why the hell would you want to get married in a church anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Theres gonna be a lot of kids pissed off that they have missed out on communion and confirmation - and the cash that goes with it!

Ah yes, that holy day thats all about the money really. modern Catholicism at its finest.

I wont be if I ever have kids, the notion of an unbaptised child being born into a life of sin is an abhorrent belief in an already ludicrous religion anyway, so I dont want any kids to be subjected into it.

Blowfish wrote: »
    I wasn't baptised and didn't make my communion and confirmation. I went to a catholic primary school and two secondary schools which had orders of nuns associated with them. It did me no harm.No you don't. I have 2 sisters who were married in Ireland and neither they nor their husbands are baptised or confirmed catholics. Aside from that, if you are a non practising catholic, why the hell would you want to get married in a church anyway?

if one person is a practising catholic They might want a church wedding.

did your sisters get married in a catholic church ?

xsiborg wrote: »
    i hate this "cult" and "oppressed" nonsense when the issue of religion or what it is to be a catholic is raised...
    im not the most articulate with words, and im sure there are those that could argue this idea a lot better than myself. i know what i WANT to say, but i just cant find the right phrasiology to express it. :(

I hear what your trying to say.

Fair play to anyone that signs themselves up to a faith if that's what they are thinking is right for them.
    The hypocritical nature of just subjecting ones offspring though to a religious order just for the sake of capitalist gain, avoidance of possible bullying and/or getting an advantage over another in education terms alone - is far from the true nature of any religion that should be advocating peace and good will towards all.

If one signs up to a religion for just a religion sake - they should not be knocked.
    I will never be the first to do so.
    If one signs up to a religion just to exploit it for self-gain or caving to pressure, thats a whole other matter which others will judge a person upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

If you are not catholic and you want to get married in the church you can... you just have to convert, take a bunch of lessons and do other churchy stuff to the church's satisfaction.

Using a possible future scenario as the reason the baptize seems odd to me. Should you also raise your kid Jewish in case they meet and want to marry a Jewish person?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Not a Christian, so it doesn't come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Definately.

The heathens are out in force this morning!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Naturally, but the concept of baptising your children into a religion in the off chance they marry a practising catholic and want to get married in a church is ludicrous.
    hondasam wrote:
    Nope.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Definately.

The heathens are out in force this morning!:P

usually the heathens are the ones who know more about the religion the supposed believers are a part of :pac:

ah modern catholics, you make me chuckle so, dont believe in transubstantiation, use contraception in premarital sex regularly, have no issue with homosexuality and dont actually believe most of the bible, but class themselves as dyed in the wool catholics. its like calling yourself a vegetarian but loving the occasional steak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

krudler wrote: »
    ah modern catholics, you make me chuckle so, dont believe in transubstantiation, use contraception in premarital sex regularly, have no issue with homosexuality and dont actually believe most of the bible, but class themselves as dyed in the wool catholics. its like calling yourself a vegetarian but loving the occasional steak.
    ^^^ Could not agree more if I tried.

Advertisement