Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get your child baptised?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Blowfish wrote: »
    Naturally, but the concept of baptising your children into a religion in the off chance they marry a practising catholic and want to get married in a church is ludicrous.

True and the same for those who do it to get their kids into better schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would get and have got my children baptised, To me bringing them up in the catholic faith is not a bad thing,As they grow and get more matured & intelligent they can then make there own choice in what they believe or dont,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

For what it's worth I think adult baptism is better than infant baptism. I would encourage people to think about their beliefs and to search for what is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hondasam wrote: »
    True and the same for those who do it to get their kids into better schools.

only catholics should be allowed go to good schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Its not just about religion, your child will feel left out when its communion time and they dont get to join in.

Utter rubbish, they'll feel left out if you make them feel left out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

realies wrote: »
    I would get and have got my children baptised, To me bringing them up in the catholic faith is not a bad thing,As they grow and get more matured & intelligent they can then make there own choice in what they believe or dont,

but then they're tied to a church they cant get out of, and the RCC, crafty fcukers that they are, have now decreed that you're still counted as a member even if you request to defect.

"more matured and intelligent" meaning what, kids are stupid and should be indoctrinated into a ludicrous belief system when they cant decide for themselves?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

krudler wrote: »
    only catholics should be allowed go to good schools?
    Apparently yes, if you live in Ireland! ;)
    If there's a Gaelscoil that accepts non-Catholics I'd be very happy because I really don't want to force any children I have into this backwards archaic religion that they're stuck with for life.
    I'm considering converting to Church of Ireland at this stage, I think the Catholic Church has to release you if you join someone else! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm currently teaching 2nd class in a small city school. It's Catholic but enrolment numbers are so low that they let all applicants in. Practically crying out for local kids.

3 kids in my class making communion, not one of them is Irish. All the altar servers at the Sunday mass are Filipino. The other kids don't give a rat's ass that they aren't making their communion, but the 3 that are feel like they're in a special club and take it very seriously. It's cute. Not about the money for them but it is a "special day".

I don't even teach the communion prep, a trainee priest comes in and does it. We can't justify spending that much time on something when the other children aren't doing it. Works out great for me because teaching Catholic religion makes me feel like a hypocrite. I usually explain it in terms of "X is a Catholic so he believes that he's getting the body of Christ. You're Hindu so your faith doesn't believe that, unless you want to"

There's no way I'm having my child baptised. An alternative baby naming cermony to welcome them to the world and some kind of god parent equivalent yes, but no indoctrination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Posy wrote: »
    ...I think the Catholic Church has to release you if you join someone else! :p
    They might be morally obligated to do so but technically and formally - they won't.
    Those are the rules that are now enforced.

Sooner or later someone is going to have to take a court action against them to formally wish to officially leave the catholic church.
    Hell, I would take such an action myself if any good solicitor is willing to join me in the effort and do it for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Apparently yes, if you live in Ireland! ;)
    If there's a Gaelscoil that accepts non-Catholics I'd be very happy because I really don't want to force any children I have into this backwards archaic religion that they're stuck with for life.
    I'm considering converting to Church of Ireland at this stage, I think the Catholic Church has to release you if you join someone else! :confused:

A lot of Gaelscoileanna are run by the community/parents not religious orders, check out your local one to see their policy, a lot of them are inclusive as it's healthy for the language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Baptism has **** all to do with religion in this country anymore. It's just a stupid ****ing tradition that needs to go the way of the dodo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Probably would, depends on what persuasion their daddy was though. I used to think I wouldn't but the older I've got the more I've mellowed toward my Catholicism and I would say I'm a Christian first. You form your own opinions on things regardless of which religion counts you as one of its own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Biggins wrote: »
    They might be morally obligated to do so but technically and formally - they won't.
    Those are the rules that are now enforced.
    Actually, fuck my kid's education. No way am I getting them baptised into something they're stuck with FOR LIFE. Any religion that has to cling to their members by FORCING them to remain against their will can sod. right. off.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    A lot of Gaelscoileanna are run by the community/parents not religious orders, check out your local one to see their policy, a lot of them are inclusive as it's healthy for the language

An Foras Patrunacha. But most still have communion and confirmation.

Gaelscoilanna are **** hard to get your child into nowadays. They're the new choice for little Saoirse and Fionn because they won't be associating with foreign kids in there... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

An Foras Patrunacha. But most still have communion and confirmation.

Gaelscoilanna are **** hard to get your child into nowadays. They're the new choice for little Saoirse and Fionn because they won't be associating with foreign kids in there... :mad:

you're generalising there, a lot of parents that send their kids to gaelscoils are supportive towards irish language

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I don't even teach the communion prep, a trainee priest comes in and does it. We can't justify spending that much time on something when the other children aren't doing it. Works out great for me because teaching Catholic religion makes me feel like a hypocrite. I usually explain it in terms of "X is a Catholic so he believes that he's getting the body of Christ. You're Hindu so your faith doesn't believe that, unless you want to"

Cherub - When exactly does the preperation for communion begin in schools in the year of the communion? ( I don't mean from day one once they enrol in school)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

No, I have three kids and none were baptised nor do any of them have a tattoo on their foreheads telling the world that Santa is Real, nor have any of them had their foreskins cut off for religious reasons. I'm not an idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Works out great for me because teaching Catholic religion makes me feel like a hypocrite.

Lucky for everyone, Christians and non-Christians alike, that a teacher doesn't need to believe in something to teach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

krudler wrote: »
    but then they're tied to a church they cant get out of, and the RCC, crafty fcukers that they are, have now decreed that you're still counted as a member even if you request to defect.

"more matured and intelligent" meaning what, kids are stupid and should be indoctrinated into a ludicrous belief system when they cant decide for themselves?

I am glad I gave them some faith and as Cristian faith is what I was brought up in I see no harm in that,I have 3 children the youngest being 19 and they have made there own decisions now and i respect that and they certainly are not tied to anything or anybody and are very mature & intelligent, :p bit like there father :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

No, I wouldn't baptise my child. I'd echo many of the sentiments of others here before me, and say that should my child choose to be a part of a religious order at a later time then so be it, they're free to choose their own path be that religious or not.

The only fly in this ointment could possibly be the father of this child and what his (or his family's) specific beliefs are. I know a lot of people who are still heavily influenced by the opinions of their parents in this regard, even if they themselves sit on the religious fence. During a discussion with a few friends I was told that I'd be doing my child a "disservice" if I refused to baptise them, that it would be wrong for me to deny my child a place in Heaven should it exist or should anything happen to my child. That stance disturbed me to be honest.

• Advertisement

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    ...During a discussion with a few friends I was told that I'd be doing my child a "disservice" if I refused to baptise them, that it would be wrong for me to deny my child a place in Heaven should it exist or should anything happen to my child. That stance disturbed me to be honest.
    That sort of mental, out of date thinking would disturb any decent liberal minded person, to be honest.

What stupidity to shove that down others throats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Actually, fuck my kid's education..

and there is kinda my point from earlier.

i know you didnt actually mean it so flippantly, but there are MANY parents who, just so they can say "im anti-establishment me! i effin rock!". they'll defend this stance by almost waving their "stand by your principles" card in your face.

it's like they'll purposely go out of their way to go against anyting that might be perceived as "sheep" behaviour by their peers, when the irony is that what they are actually doing is following a group mentality anyway, to the point where that in their standing by their principles, they may actually be not considering what might be best for the child.

ps. the catholic faith is not the catholic church or the establishment or the hierarchy. it is one's own personal belief system, and i could just as easily teach my son my faith with no influence or direction from rome whatsoever.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Cherub - When exactly does the preperation for communion begin in schools in the year of the communion? ( I don't mean from day one once they enrol in school)

From September, explaining baptism, a few masses here and there, learning the prayers and responses, practicing the songs, the stories of Jesus'miracles, the parables, all the First Penance preparation around March, then the artwork for the church.

2 weeks then of practicing up at the church before the big day as well. During class time. :rolleyes:

Crosáidí wrote: »
    you're generalising there, a lot of parents that send their kids to gaelscoils are supportive towards irish language

Ah yea I know that, but I know of several city schools where parents don't have a clue how to speak Irish and send their kids there for other reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I won't baptise my kids, but I won't tell my generous relatives.
    That way, come Communion time, cards in the post with €20 galoure and little Archibald (I prob will loose a bet of some sort by the time I'm 26) will be none the wiser.
    I love relatives that think that once you're 8, you start to give a **** about religion. When I made my Communion, Charazard was the way to salvation!

pow wow wrote: »
    Lucky for everyone, Christians and non-Christians alike, that a teacher doesn't need to believe in something to teach it.

Yes, but having to take part in school mass, get communion, ashes on my forehead, my throat blessed for St. Blaise, seeing religious iconography in my classroom etc, impinges on my rights.

Also having missionaries come in singing hymns, saying prayers, and attempting to brainwash little kids by telling them if they come to mass with their parents the teacher won't give them any homework turns my stomach. Especially when most of the kids aren't Catholic.

I personally feel that parents should be teaching them what to believe (give them an open mind and a smattering of everything and allow them to make of it what they wish), or else Sunday school at the mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Biggins wrote: »
    That sort of mental, out of date thinking would disturb any decent liberal minded person, to be honest.

What stupidity to shove that down others throats!

Indeed, I remember feeling quite sick at what was implied. I fail to see how me giving any of my children the opportunity to embrace religion or not as in any way denying them anything. Religion is a uniquely personal experience and choice for any one individual, and I could not presume to dictate such to any other person, be they a stranger or my own children!

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Indeed, I remember feeling quite sick at what was implied. I fail to see how me giving any of my children the opportunity to embrace religion or not as in any way denying them anything. Religion is a uniquely personal experience and choice for any one individual, and I could not presume to dictate such to any other person, be they a stranger or my own children!
    I think where possible, its time to be with different real friends.
    A real good friend would already know you, know your feelings on some topics and watch their words before opening their mouth and coming out with that type of antiquated, intimidating schite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

My parents never got me baptised. They always let me decide for myself whether or not I wanted to be a Christian. And when I was ten years old I let them know I wanted to be baptised and they agreed to it. They brought me to church to be baptised, even though they themselves were atheists. I'll always thank them for that.

And that leaves me in a bit of a quandary. I'm a believer and a practising Catholic and if I had children I would want to bring them up Christian. And I'd also want them to be able to think for themselves. It's a matter of getting the balance right.

By the way, it was my grandmother who first baptised me. I was one year old and it was clear to her that my parents had no intention of getting me baptised. So she took me into the kitchen while they weren't looking and performed a little ceremony there over the sink. So the Church in Rome may not have recognised this baptism but I'm pretty sure God did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Computer Sci

Baptism seems like a bit of a pointless ritual. If we are supposedly made in god's image, then why do we need to go through baptism? Looking at it logically, does anybody really believe that throwing a bit of H20 on a baby's head prevents the devil and his evil other-dimensional minions from gaining entry and corrupting the baby's soul - if they don't get baptised.

Advertisement