Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get your child baptised?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

@Thomas828 - Interesting post. Did you learn about Catholicism at school or was it from your Grandma or elsewhere entirely? Were you exposed to other faiths?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Baptism seems like a bit of a pointless ritual. If we are supposedly made in god's image, then why do we need to go through baptism? Looking at it logically, does anybody really believe that throwing a bit of H20 on a baby's head prevents the devil and his evil other-dimensional minions from gaining entry and corrupting the baby's soul - if they don't get baptised.

Don't forget about the oil of catacumins.... That's the secret ingredient.

/flippant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

@Thomas828 - Interesting post. Did you learn about Catholicism at school or was it from your Grandma or elsewhere entirely? Were you exposed to other faiths?

It was mostly at school where I learnt about Catholicism. But it was my Granny who got me into the habit of going to Mass every Sunday. And she had a few old missals and prayer books, including one or two in Latin, lying about her house.

And during my late teens I read up on other religions, mostly Judaism, Buddhism and Paganism. But in the end I came back to the religion I grew up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Don't forget about the oil of catacumins.... That's the secret ingredient.

/flippant.

magic oil, yeah thats logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Biggins wrote: »
    I think where possible, its time to be with different real friends.
    A real good friend would already know you, know your feelings on some topics and watch their words before opening their mouth and coming out with that type of antiquated, intimidating schite.

You're absolutely right, and the strange thing is I have other friends that I would consider fairly devout, and we've never had a falling out over anything to do with religion. It's about respect really IMO; if you don't have it, then you're not worth my time or energy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    ...It's about respect really IMO; if you don't have it, then you're not worth my time or energy.
    Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I was baptized and although I'm not madly religious I'd still like my children to be baptized.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I would of course.

'Awaits the replies from the outraged hardy high amount of athiet ppl on this thread'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    No, I have three kids and none were baptised nor do any of them have a tattoo on their foreheads telling the world that Santa is Real, nor have any of them had their foreskins cut off for religious reasons. I'm not an idiot!

Ah sure the Santa thing is all a bit of harmless excitement for the kids in fairness.

Asphyxia wrote: »
    I was baptized and although I'm not madly religious I'd still like my children to be baptized.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with liking them to be baptised.
    If I don't cross the Rubicon point after that, is based on the question "why?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

There was once a programme on RTE about Limerick cathedrals. The man in his seventies was asked why he thinks there is a decline in people coming to the mass and generally practicing catholics. He said that as a child he felt mainly fear and shame in connection with catholic teachings and rituals. He added that now, when there is no such pressure from around to be part of it (like it was in the past), he understands that people may choose differently.

I must admit that as a child I felt similar and I would rather spare this to my own children.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Ah sure the Santa thing is all a bit of harmless excitement for the kids in fairness.

I've no problem with Santa at all, I don't think many people have died in Santas name, or mutilated babies bodies because of him. As you say 'harmless excitement' I was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I won't be baptizing my kids. I will educate them and let them make up thei own mind. They can choose whatever they want later on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Absolutely nothing wrong with liking them to be baptised.
    If I don't cross the Rubicon point after that, is based on the question "why?"

anyone I ask this cant give an actual answer, "so they dont go to hell" is one, well thats just ludicrous for a start. its fearmongering by a church that belongs back in the dark ages. Any belief system based on fear isnt worth being a part of. "believe or perish forever" should be the catholic motto. Also baptising your kids just to double down in case all this god stuff turns out to be true isnt the right reasons for doing it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No I wouldn't. I'm not a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I'd rather teach them about my cultural history (at the right age, so they understand) than do that. But thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

No I wouldn't. I'm not a hypocrite.

Its not hypocritical to want your kids to fit in. I've seen kids getting a hard time through school as they were moved from the class whenever religion was being thought, it was noticed by every one and some of the eejits took it as a reason to pick on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Marsden wrote: »
    Its not hypocritical to want your kids to fit in. I've seen kids getting a hard time through school as they were moved from the class whenever religion was being thought, it was noticed by every one and some of the eejits took it as a reason to pick on them.

Maybe they learned English in the meantime :rolleyes:

Kids fitting in is not a reason to force them to make a lifelong conversion ffs.
    And this won't stop until people stop doing it "so they can have their money" and "so they might fit in"

Its not wrong to want your kids to fit in.
    To be accurate, it is theological conflict to sign up to a religion only so that one can just gain personal benefits from such a membership of a religion - one usually based on love, fairness, etc to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I actually had the opposite experience. I didn't do religion in school and most of the rest of the class were envious that I could actually do pretty much anything I wanted during the free time, while they had to sit and listen to boring stuff instead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'll have to teach my hypothetical kids that they don't have to ''fit in'' then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yes, but having to take part in school mass, get communion, ashes on my forehead, my throat blessed for St. Blaise, seeing religious iconography in my classroom etc, impinges on my rights.

You can always take a stand against it if you feel so strongly about your rights being violated.
    Also having missionaries come in singing hymns, saying prayers, and attempting to brainwash little kids by telling them if they come to mass with their parents the teacher won't give them any homework turns my stomach. Especially when most of the kids aren't Catholic.

Condolences :rolleyes:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe they learned English in the meantime :rolleyes:

Kids fitting in is not a reason to force them to make a lifelong conversion ffs.
    And this won't stop until people stop doing it "so they can have their money" and "so they might fit in"

Its not really a lifelong conversion, If any of my kids turned around when their older and said they want to be buddhists or aethiest I wouldn't have a problem with it. Its also not about having their money on their communion, kids enjoy getting dressed up and going around and showing off their clothes to their friends and family. I wouldn't think about not getting a child baptized because I didn't share the beliefs of the church.

If I lived in Russia I'd probably get them baptized as Orthodox etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I would, but I'd make sure the child knew I thought the whole thing was bullshlt and only got it done so that the kid could go to school without having to be driven 50 miles to the nearest educate together.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Its not really a lifelong conversion, If any of my kids turned around when their older and said they want to be buddhists or aethiest I wouldn't have a problem with it. Its also not about having their money on their communion, kids enjoy getting dressed up and going around and showing off their clothes to their friends and family. I wouldn't think about not getting a child baptized because I didn't share the beliefs of the church.

If I lived in Russia I'd probably get them baptized as Orthodox etc.

They can't officially defect from the church,ever.

As for kids getting dressed up they can do that any time!! It's not a reason to give them a lifelong membership they can't leave

Nevore wrote: »
    I would, but I'd make sure the child knew I thought the whole thing was bullshlt and only got it done so that the kid could go to school without having to be driven 50 miles to the nearest educate together.
    That would be at least an understandable fair and honest answer/solution.
    If only more people would be that true to their feelings and predicaments regarding this matter.

bluewolf wrote: »
    They can't officially defect from the church,ever.

Thats right I forgot they get branded with a Christian tatoo and dragged by their ears to mass every Sunday.

Originally Posted by bluewolf
    They can't officially defect from the church, ever.
    Thats right I forgot they get branded with a Christian tatoo and dragged by their ears to mass every Sunday.
    See post 37.
    Bluewolf was talking correct and accurate without getting silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If I had children I probably would. They can still decide what religion they are later in life. It's not like they're going to say "you ruined my life by pouring a bit of water on my forehead when I was a few months old".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

That would be at least an understandable fair and honest answer/solution.
    If only more people would be that true to their feelings and predicaments regarding this matter.
    Well, I'm an atheist, but I think I'll have enough influence over my children to counteract the tiny amount of indoctrination that happens these days. Having come through the public school system I know it's a far cry to the level that prevailed in my parents day.

Advertisement