Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get your child baptised?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Marsden wrote: »
    ..I wouldn't think about not getting a child baptized because I didn't share the beliefs of the church.
    If I lived in Russia I'd probably get them baptized as Orthodox etc.

If someone is a devout Catholic, never had sex before marriage, doesn't use contraception, disagrees with homosexual relationships, goes to mass every Sunday etc etc... and has their children baptised as and raised as Catholics, I can respect their beliefs, even if I don't agree with them.

People who do not appear to see a connection with baptism and religion just baffle me though. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thats right I forgot they get branded with a Christian tatoo and dragged by their ears to mass every Sunday.

You are enabling the church to continue to perpetuate the additional myth about how many people are catholic though. You get someone to throw water over your kid so that it can go to a particular school, the number of kids that the church claims are catholic continues to be listed at an artificially high number, therefore the church continues to control the majority of schools, therfore other people feel they have to get someone to throw water over their kid so that they can go to a particular school...

Don't lie about your religion, don't allow the church to claim that your kid is part of their religion if they are not, more of the Educate Together schools get started to meet the demand for non-church controlled schools.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If I had children I probably would. They can still decide what religion they are later in life. It's not like they're going to say "you ruined my life by pouring a bit of water on my forehead when I was a few months old".
    I said something similar to mine when I tried to leave the Catholic church and found out you can't get out. Ever. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

I do not intend to have my children baptised if I have any. I was baptised, had the communion and confirmation - although I didn't want to make my confirmation at the time as I didn't actually believe, the teacher told me it was "the law". Although I was baptised and all the rest I do not consider myself to be a Catholic at all - I would describe myself as having no religion. I was brought up in a mixed household, my mother was Catholic and my father didn't practise any religion so I think this is why I didn't really buy the story by the time confirmation rolled around. I reckon it would be hypocritical of me to raise my children in a religion that I in no way believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Posy wrote: »
    I said something similar to mine when I tried to leave the Catholic church and found out you can't get out. Ever. ;)
    Yeah you can, you just need to be excommunicated. Get, or aid in the getting of, an abortion. Strike the Pope, while being of sound mind...
    There's a list of things. Some of them are pretty fun sounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Biggins wrote: »
    See post 37.
    Bluewolf was talking correct and accurate without getting silly.

Fair enough, the point I'm trying to make is what difference will it make to your future. My parents had me baptized and they have the same view of religion as me and I think they were right to do it, I dont blame them for it now as I'm not a practicing Catholic. Its done me no harm and I think aetheist or christian your life won't be much different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

phasers wrote: »
    Yep, it's easier to get into the good schools around here if you're Catholic. If that changes, then I wouldn't bother.

What you mean is "If other people help to change it you wont". But you wont be part of that change. Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nevore wrote: »
    Yeah you can, you just need to be excommunicated. Get, or aid in the getting of, an abortion. Strike the Pope, while being of sound mind...
    Interesting, never knew that one. I bet if everybody who wanted to leave but couldn't decided to put that one into practice, it certainly wouldn't be long before they relaxed on their whole 'you can't leave' aspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Fair enough, the point I'm trying to make is what difference will it make to your future. My parents had me baptized and they have the same view of religion as me and I think they were right to do it, I dont blame them for it now as I'm not a practicing Catholic. Its done me no harm and I think aetheist or christian your life won't be much different.
    Speaking for only for myself, it will be on official record that i am/was a member of the Catholic Church for ever more.
    - If I can change this, by heck I will!

So it will be recorded in years to come after my passing that I was possibly a supporting member of a religious order when in fact I want absolutely nothing to do with them.
    Now my eventual (at that stage) still alive friends will know the truth of the matter but even they will pass into history and all that will be left will be official record is that I'm a catholic.

* Add to that because I will be dead, it will be (as of now) recorded that I am part of the Rome org and as I am dead, I no longer can have a physical say where possibly any religions relatives plant my bag of bones.
    (I can't come back and say "I object" - I will be hoping however a good friend will do that for me).
    * I also want my offspring to be able to put on my tombstone their own words and feelings about me.
    (I know, I could be asking for trouble there! LOL)
    If you get buried in a Catholic churchyard, Rome is VERY strict exactly what can be done grave-wise in many ways.
    * I don't want to a hypocrite and I don't want history to officially record me as one.

I want out. Rome refuses to let me go. I think thats a fcukin disgrace.
    If it was another cult or group, etc, their asses would be in an Irish court being ordered to invoke change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Posy wrote: »

You can checkout anytime you want but you can never leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

just so I can have the party afterwards and to keep the old pair happy... not doing me any harm having them baptised so to stop fights in the house... and so when Communion and Confirmation time comes round the child doesn't have to be left out and miss their big day out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I will be cremated because I hate the idea of burial. I am a sometimes practising catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

that still won't get you out of the church - your techincally still a Catholic but your damned to go to hell... if you go back and repent you are just let back in because your still technically a Catholic... once your in your in..

I want out. Rome refuses to let me go. I think thats a fcukin disgrace.
    If it was another cult or group, etc, their asses would be in an Irish court being ordered to invoke change!
    Convert to another religion. They'll accomadate that easily enough afaik, it's just the "leaving and not taking up another fairytale" that gives them the jitters.
    For extra giggles, convert to Islam, and leave, so you can get a fatah issued against you. :)

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Theres gonna be a lot of kids pissed off that they have missed out on communion and confirmation - and the cash that goes with it!

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think the poll results show that polls from the boards.ie demographic can't be relied on. There's a bit of a baby boom going on in and around me at the moment and I know only one set of parents not getting their child christened. I voted yes for convenience in the poll meself.

Although for those who don't get their child christened they could still do the whole communion confirmation thing. The kids will be very happy at being taken around the houses getting loads of money without having to go to the church service.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

all that will be left will be official record is that I'm a catholic.

Thats not entirely true, any future generations researching the Biggins ancestry might come across your 20,000 odd posts here.

All the same I've never heard anyone not wishing to be remembered for their religion, practicing or not. But to each their own.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    that still won't get you out of the church - your techincally still a Catholic but your damned to go to hell... if you go back and repent you are just let back in because your still technically a Catholic... once your in your in..
    Yeah, but considering it's all bullshlt anyway, I think most people would be happy knowing they're excommunicate.

hondasam wrote: »
    I was baptised and my kids are. If you are not baptised you cannot marry in a catholic church I think. It all gets a bit complicated later when you have to be baptised, confirmed etc to marry.

So how do non Catholics get married?

Psssst. registry office.......

Convert to another religion. They'll accomadate that easily enough afaik, it's just the "leaving and not taking up another fairytale" that gives them the jitters.
    ...But I din't want to be in another religion.
    To jump into another would be equally hypocritical, in using it too for ones own ends, etc alone.
    We should have the right to come and go from religious groups without conditions attached.
    For extra giggles, convert to Islam, and leave, so you can get a fatwa issued against you. :)
    Hell no. I ain't that brave! :pac:

• Advertisement

Psssst. registry office.......
    ...And if need be other churches outside of the Rome 's reach, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They might be morally obligated to do so but technically and formally - they won't.
    Those are the rules that are now enforced.

Sooner or later someone is going to have to take a court action against them to formally wish to officially leave the catholic church.
    Hell, I would take such an action myself if any good solicitor is willing to join me in the effort and do it for free!

Well, if you want to become Jewish, you will have to produce a letter from the catholic church confirming you are no longer a member. Since they refuse to give such a letter they are in effect stopping you from practising your chosen religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Contemplating Aristotle

Do we baptize our children, or do we just think that we baptize our children?

Well, if you want to become Jewish, you will have to produce a letter from the catholic church confirming you are no longer a member. Since they refuse to give such a letter they are in effect stopping you from practising your chosen religion.
    True and an important additional point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

what happens if one is a practising catholic who will not marry in a registry office ? That was my point.

same when it comes to baptism one parent wants it and the other doesn't care, someone has to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I will. I was baptised myself and it hasn't done me a bit of harm.

I will. I was baptised myself and it hasn't done me a bit of harm.

It sure hasnt. You are an astounding catholic. Dont believe in transubstantiation, resurrection, virgin births and probably not baptism either. No harm at all.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

my son was baptised but only because i wanted to give him the choice of religion and i hope that he like myself comes to his own conclusion on religion.i wont push religion on him and i wont push athiesm on him either

my son was baptised but only because i wanted to give him the choice of religion and i hope that he like myself comes to his own conclusion on religion.i wont push religion on him and i wont push athiesm on him either
    That doesn't make sense to me. Surely if your motive was to give him a choice, you let him decide himself at 18 or whatever? Or are you going to perform all the rituals traditionally performed on minors in other religions? Circumcision etc? :confused:

• Advertisement

Ummmm. You made his choice AND pushed religion on him AND came to his conclusion!!!

Advertisement