Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti in Harolds cross

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

malo wrote: »
    " difference between graffiti and art is permission "

More of a grafitti and vandalism position. Something can be art without being legal (and that's the case with a lot art, not just grafitti)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Its some twat in Harolds Cross calling himself robot

and its a dreadful mess he's creating, no talent whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yeah I get you, but Id rather see tags everywhere than ads.( I find advertising highly offensive and invasive. I dont know why a poor kid with a spraycan has less rights than a rich guy who wants to put up pictures of semiclad women to advertise lynx deoderant or something.....oh wait, its money isnt it.)
    I find tagging ok actually. I like that the person is expressing themselves, albeit not aestheically very well.

+1

Anyone any pics of the graffiti in Harolds Cross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres a nice piece on the bridge over the canal at Suir Road there, looks like the sort of thing Banksy used to do. Anyone seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Whilst on the subject i recently seen graffiti in Dolphin's Barn slating "No Royol Visit"... the thick's cant even spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Whilst on the subject i recently seen graffiti in Dolphin's Barn slating "No Royol Visit"... the thick's cant even spell.

Was that intentional?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

later10 wrote: »
    There is a lot of competition for that title, and it is awarded pretty liberally on these boards. Would you say that a graffiti artist who captures the world's attention with human rights issues such as those works he painted on the Israeli wall is 'scum of the earth' as well?
    17banksyES_468x606.jpg

_46791126_banksy_pa_416.jpg

Or some works by men like Maser in Dublin which raises social issues

[IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdS3SN2ea3v- wdoSeZzruOpZyZSuoNC4de6MaL2cO2b1rSdcUCKw[/IMG]

Do it on their parents walls and raise " social issues" that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

irishguy wrote: »
    I have noticed of late loads of Graffiti, spray painting on walls etc all around Harolds cross/Canal/Rathmines seems to be the same people. Its really anoying and destroys the area and there doesnt seem to be much we can do about it :(

Any ideas?

The graffiti in this area is BRUTAL, as you describe. Harold's Cross in particular is really bad - and it is mostly done by the same two little feckers who have their stupid names (they're not even tags, just the equivalent of some tool writing 'Dano' with a black spray can) ALL OVER the place. It drives me nuts. I'm involved with one of the nearby resident's associations and the time and effort that goes into cleaning up after them is horrendous. It depresses people and it makes the environment so unpleasant for the people who have to live there (trust me, little old ladies finding 'Dano' scrawled over the wall of their house in the morning do not consider this 'art').

There is one little b&llix and I have to walk by his stupid scrawl about thirty times between my house and where I work (from D6W to D2 basically). If I got him, I would actually kill him. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

malo wrote: »
    " difference between graffiti and art is permission "

Nice quip but not true. Public art is usually commissioned and often temporary. When some idiot writes "Jono" on the wall someone has to pay to remove it or it stays there forever and it has absolutely no aesthetic value.

Even the likes of maser I can't say I find his work particularly groundbreaking. Plenty of smart soundbytes but at the end of the day its just a bit of text on a wall. I was in Berlin last year and couldn't get over the amount of graffiti in the city, all tags and all ****e. Made the city look poorly maintained and doesn't help the image of an area.

Advertisement