Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Inefficiency of the Employment Drive

• 14-05-2011 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

This appeared in the Irish media yesterday and doesn't seem to have received much coverage unfortunately. In my estimation this is far more relevant to the unemployment problem than the (perfectly fine, but anti-climactic) Jobs Initiative.

PDF:
    http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/RS20.pdf

For me, one of the most worrying findings, is the failure of the department to refer many fo its jobseekers to employment agencies in ther first instance. Secondly, and one which demands further analysis, is the inefficiency of that aspect of the National Employment Action Plan process managed by Fas

On failure of referral to FAS (or any agency) by the Dept of Social Welfare:
    The first issue that became apparent in undertaking this study is that a large group of individuals who were eligible for NEAP assistance were somehow falling outside the activation net. While this provided an unusual opportunity to construct a control group to facilitate the rigorous analysis of the impact of two components of the NEAP – FÁS activation referral plus interview and training – it also implies that, potentially, over 25 per cent of qualifying claimants were not inducted into the NEAP process.

And when they do get to Fas:
    Secondly, those individuals who participated in the NEAP referral process were less likely to become employed.
    Comparing the outcomes of those who were either referred for interview or had received both a referral and a FÁS interview under the NEAP with a control group of those who were not referred, it was found that the NEAP had a negative impact, reducing their chances of entering employment by about 17 per cent. This suggests that the interview plus referral element of the NEAP was an ineffective route to employment

Unfortunately the big news of the past week is probably going to remain the Jobs Initiative, whereas I would suggest that these findings are far more serious and deserve much greater concern.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

A state run bureaucratic organisation found to be inefficient the job its expected to do? news at 11

What is the incentive for employees of these depts to refer people to another dept? they get paid the same eitherway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

later10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the big news of the past week is probably going to remain the Jobs Initiative, whereas I would suggest that these findings are far more serious and deserve much greater concern.

It would be more relevant if FF, the ones responsible for the agencys descent into inefficiency, were still in power. It is merely just another scandalous piece of mismanagement they can add to their bow. Another granny knot of bureaucracy in a legacy that the current government have been tasked to untie.

FAS will be disbanded, rebranded and altogether changed from it's Roddy Molloy years by the current government. Nice to see you start s thread actually criticising FF though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ok... well, I don't have a problem criticising Fianna Fail, I do it quite often, but I don't really see how that has anything to do with the ESRI report on the efficiency of Fas, the DFS and the NEAP.

Of course FF were the original architects of these programs, but if we keep harking back to history we will never establish how these programs are not delivering today, nor establish a solution for fixing them today. I'm not really getting into the FF slagging pantomime because I'm pretty sure everyone reading this is pretty tired of it by now. In policy terms, FF are not really that relevant today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

later10 wrote: »
    In policy terms, FF are not really that relevant today.

That's my point. And therefore neither is FAS because continuing with FAS is not government policy. Hence i started my post with 'it might be more relevant if'. You were the one, and still are, siggesting this is relevant, more relevant than the Jobs Initiative which is current government policy. This is a scandal that belongs with the last government.

This report is not about Fas, it is about employment activation measures which would largely be recreated by the PES. Look I suggest you read the report tbh, I'm not rehashing a tired old FF debate. Bringing FF into this is beyond reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

What they should be doing is encouraging the development of Business Employment Co-Ops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What they should be doing is ending this 'education for all' nonsense. We now have a generation who 'expect' a job and can't do anything for themselves - except emigrate!

Nolanger wrote: »
    What they should be doing is ending this 'education for all' nonsense.
    Can you be more specific? Are you arguing for less education and training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I'm arguing that:
    • not everyone should go to college as there are not enough jobs for graduates
    • the huge dropout rates in some Irish colleges is a result of this 'education for all' nonsense
    • there's too much emphasis these days on qualifications and education. Some of our top architects never went to college!
    Also, ever notice the amount of successful business people who left school at 16? Won't happen anymore now that everyone has to stay in school and go on to college!

There is nothing wrong with education for all. I agree that university is not for everyone in the same way that not everybody is cut out for an apprencticeship, but I'm not quite sure that anybody thinks otherwise.
    not everyone should go to college as there are not enough jobs for graduates
    One doesn't just supply college places to be exactly in line with current employment statistics. It is necessary to appreciate how many places can be sustained and supported, and it is vital to recognise that an educated workforce will attract investors moreso than one which keeps its educational places static.
    Nolanger wrote: »
    Some of our top architects never went to college!
    Not sure what that really proves, firstly neither did many of our artists, secondly that was in a different age. On an international level, this is the norm, and the industry is now more regulated. Of course, they would still have received educational training in their professional sphere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement