Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixie to naas?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I live in Rathfarnham in South Dublin and i was wondering if anyone has cycled from around here to naas. I was wondering would it be at all possible to do it on a fixie? (before you ask, yes there's a woman involved ;))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's one sure way to find out, try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you go out the N7 it is very flat and would be fine fixed. I rode out there/back and did the Martin Early Tour of Kildare on my Bowery, 46-14.

The N7 is however not a particularly pleasant way; it is much nicer to go up the N81 turning off after the Embankment and then over the back roads between the N81 and Naas. This is a pretty hilly route (not huge climbs, but a lot of up and down) and gears would be preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Yes. I do harolds cross to newbridge, probably going today. I go tallaght-jobstown-blessington-naas

after jobstown theres a junction, right is saggart, I go left for a killer climb(after that its all easy). The first time I did it I think I needed to stop 3 times. When u leave blessington and head to naas(arrive by old tesco) theres some very nice scenery, lots of lambs out.

just make sure your bike is sound.what gear ratio are you running? Ive a few 18t cogs, could sell or loan you one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dethklok

blorg
    n81 seems a bit out of the way. During the summer i might go that way, but right now i'm looking for a pretty direct route

kumate_champ07
    I'm running 42-15 which is 75.6 gear inches. Oh and i'm also running brakeless, might have to change that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jefferson73

dethklok wrote: »
    kumate_champ07
    I'm running 42-15 which is 75.6 gear inches. Oh and i'm also running brakeless, might have to change that :p

Brakeless?
    xblF4.gif

jefferson73
    As in i don't have brakes. There's no brake levers on my handle bars, and no brakes on the wheels. When you're on a fixie, brakes aren't absolutely mandatory like on other bikes, because you can control the speed of the bike with your legs, and if you lock up your legs the back wheel will skid, bringing you to a stop.........eventually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"dethklok". I see what you did there. :pac:

@Lumen
    As in you know the band? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

jefferson73
    As in i don't have brakes. There's no brake levers on my handle bars, and no brakes on the wheels. When you're on a fixie, brakes aren't absolutely mandatory like on other bikes, because you can control the speed of the bike with your legs, and if you lock up your legs the back wheel will skid, bringing you to a stop.........eventually :P

popcorn.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 moch

Blorg, how did you get on cycling the Tour of Kildare on a 46-14? There are a few drags, the "wall" must have been torture! I was over there last week, it never seems to get any easier.

jefferson73
    Sounds Fun.
    calvin-and-hobbessled.gif

Dord wrote: »
    popcorn.gif
    hIvqK.gif

@Jefferson73
    First of all, thumbs up for the Calvin and Hobbes.
    Second, i don't go down any ridiculously steep hills. Riding a brakeless fixie is entirely different to riding any other type of bike. But if you check out the couriers in town, most of them ride brakeless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

@Jefferson73
    But if you check out the couriers in town, most of them ride brakeless

QED, debate's over boys, can't argue with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

@Jefferson73
    But if you check out the couriers in town, most of them ride brakeless

They are also awesome at braking red lights.

I really don't like the word fixie.
    And the only place these bikes belong is on a track, far away from hipsters.

But different strokes, I guess.

moch wrote: »
    Blorg, how did you get on cycling the Tour of Kildare on a 46-14? There are a few drags, the "wall" must have been torture! I was over there last week, it never seems to get any easier.
    It was all fine, riding with the front group, until the wall, where I went ahead and got up most of it, with difficulty, before I unclipped pulling up 100m or so from the top. Needless to say I wasn't getting started again and the group passed me. I only lost a few seconds running over but that grew on the descent; caught a few on the flat and finished a few minutes down. It is a mainly flat circuit with a few <8% drags that are short, good one for a fixie I think. The wall is the only problem. You need gearing like 88" to keep up with the group on the flat/smaller descents, I did the Swords one on I think 73" and lost the group in the second half on a descent.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

jefferson73

Wow! I never knew that you didn't brakes on a bike like that. I always thought they looked really cool but was worried about the no brakes thing. I'll consider getting one of them now. Where did you get yours?

CianRyan wrote: »
    I really don't like the word fixie.
    And the only place these bikes belong is on a track, far away from hipsters.

But different strokes, I guess.
    Have you owned one? A lot of fun and good training too... I agree using one on a public road without a brake is very reckless.

• Advertisement

@Jefferson73
    First of all, thumbs up for the Calvin and Hobbes.
    Second, i don't go down any ridiculously steep hills. Riding a brakeless fixie is entirely different to riding any other type of bike. But if you check out the couriers in town, most of them ride brakeless

I recently saw a documentary about those couriers in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Talk about easy pickings...

I'm almost convinced this is some kind of reverse-trolling... don't feed the Boardsies!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

I dont want to go off thread, but why do couriers ride fixies ?

OK I wont go off thread, why would someone want to ride a fixie from Dublin to Naas (is it because they dont have a conventional bike)

I only found out about fixies a few weeks ago. Id like to try one in a Velodrome.

blorg wrote: »
    Have you owned one? A lot of fun and good training too... I agree using one on a public road without a brake is very reckless.

Never owned one but I've had a blast of a mates one around town. Bit of a laugh and I can see how they're be good for training.
    Have to say, never said I didn't like the bikes, I just don't like what hipsters have done to them.
    In saying that though, I really just don't like hipsters...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

People ride fixies because they require neither multiple gears nor freewheel capability.

Gears are for the weak. Coasting is for the lazy.

I am weak and lazy, therefore I do not ride a fixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Have to say, never said I didn't like the bikes, I just don't like what hipsters have done to them.
    In saying that though, I really just don't like hipsters...

"Hipsters" can't do anything to a type of bike. Are you scared you'll get hipster-germs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

"Hipsters" can't do anything to a type of bike. Are you scared you'll get hipster-germs?

They could do this...

KennethHWatanabe.jpg

Honestly, most people would probably call me one. I don't look quite as stupid as them but I like a lot of the same things as them.
    But yeah, I don't want to catch anymore germs, so I won't be buying a "fixie" anytime soon.*

*this is mostly a lie, I'd just rather stick with a proper bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Honestly, most people would probably call me one. I don't look quite as stupid as them but I like a lot of the same things as them.
    But yeah, I don't want to catch anymore germs, so I won't be buying a "fixie" anytime soon.*

*this is mostly a lie, I'd just rather stick with a proper bike. :)

Ah, I'm only kidding. I don't ride a fixie myself, but I'd hate anyone to steer clear of something that suited them just because it had associations with an amorphous group.

Saying that, I'm almost getting self-conscious about using a film camera these days, and I try not to mention to anyone that I buy music on vinyl, so I guess I'm in the same boat in other respects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Brakeless in the city is just wrong, it's selfish, other people use the road too, brakes stop you much quicker than any skidding. Every courier Ive seen in the city break red lights, some at speed and others slow down a bit.
    I rarely use my brake in the city but its there for emergencies, I dont need to skid either.
    a couple of days ago I saw some student brakeless with no straps or clips and a really slack chain, he was cycling on the footpath too! It's an image/hipster thing, you can stick a brake on and not use it most of the time but its there for when you really need it.

Advertisement