Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka Masala Curry Paste

Options
  • 14-05-2011 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

HI all,

Does anyone know where i'd get tikka masala curry paste? I've seen red curry, green curry etc... but never tikka..

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My local SuperValu sells Pataks Tikka Masala Paste. I'm sure that most stores that do Pataks would have it. Most of the Asian shops in Dublin stock their range. Also the Nutshell in New Ross & the small asian shop on the Quays in Waterford.

As you don't give a location I can't offer you any more relevant advice as to shops in your locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Hill Billy wrote: »
    My local SuperValu sells Pataks Tikka Masala Paste. I'm sure that most stores that do Pataks would have it. Most of the Asian shops in Dublin stock their range. Also the Nutshell in New Ross & the small asian shop on the Quays in Waterford.

As you don't give a location I can't offer you any more relevant advice as to shops in your locality.

+1 for Pataks Paste.

My local Tesco and Dunnes stock Pataks. Love their Rojan Josh, and Korma paste too.

I don't use Indian spices anymore now just use paste as a base for my family currys. I have found Pataks by far the best curry pastes. I spied their products when kitchen door opened at Indian restaurant while waiting on an Indian take-away so....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,490 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nesbitt wrote: »
    I have found Pataks by far the best curry pastes. I spied their products when kitchen door opened at Indian restaurant while waiting on an Indian take-away so....:D

I think I read somewhere that two thirds of all Indian restaurants in the UK use Patak pastes :)

And so do I. Madras for the Mr. M. cooking club Thai soup, Jalfrezi for a veg curry, Balti for a lovely chicken curry, Rogan Josh for lamb, Tandoori for marinating chicken for wraps, etc. Mind, I've only tried their Tikka Massala once and it wasn't as good as any of the other pastes I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Try http://www.currysauce.ie/

All are lovely sauces. Mostly got at markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

After reading this thread the other day I bought the Pataks Tikka Masala paste and made it. I really enjoyed it but I felt it was a bit bland. I don't like spicy food so don't want it very spicy but I just felt it was a bit too bland. I had it two days and on the second day I ended up mixing in some sweet chilli sauce just to give it a bit of a bite. I followed the recipe from the jar, which is different to the one on the website. It was quick enough to do and easy to follow. The only other thing I found was that it was too watery at the end but wasn't a huge issue, I will probably use less water next time than it says in the recipe.

Does anyone know a way that I could spice it up a bit while still maintaining the tikka masala flavour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

PinkChick wrote: »
    Does anyone know a way that I could spice it up a bit while still maintaining the tikka masala flavour?

Add more paste?

Really? I already used more than the recipe suggested. I had thought the blandness was coming from the paste. I guess I can give it a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

PinkChick wrote: »
    Really? I already used more than the recipe suggested. I had thought the blandness was coming from the paste. I guess I can give it a go though.

If it's bland then defo more paste. Taste it during the cooking and add more if you think it's too tasteless. One thing about Pataks, I really don't think they're bland at all! The flavour is very concentrated, I always err on the side of caution and add more if required. You sure you bought the paste and not the jar of ready-mixed stuff?

Yeah it was definitely the paste :-) It was this one.

http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/tikka-masala-paste.aspx

It was quite watery so maybe I will add less water the next time and that will stop it being so bland. Maybe it just watered it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,490 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

olaola wrote: »
    If it's bland then defo more paste. Taste it during the cooking and add more if you think it's too tasteless.

One thing to be careful about is that some / most of Patak pastes are not sterile, so after adding more paste, you need to boil your curry for a bit before you should taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

its probably bland because its from a jar. ive yet to taste a curry from a jar that isnt bland or have that awefull preserved taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dixiefly - We got the message in your first post. Please do not plug that site again.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Try buying from these guys and making up your own sauce http://www.greensaffron.com/department.php?id=10

When you know what's in it and how it should look & cook, it's easy buy the spices and make up your own, tastes loads better too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Try buying from these guys and making up your own sauce http://www.greensaffron.com/department.php?id=10

When you know what's in it and how it should look & cook, it's easy buy the spices and make up your own, tastes loads better too :)

Pricey:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

As I said, try it once, then make it yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Fajitas! wrote: »

This is what I did in the end. We made the tikka masala and it was incredible. Would defo recommend it. Nicer than any that i've eaten in restaurants. Yes it is pricey at 6 euros but well worth it. The jars are just crap. I kept the packets so as you say, i'm gonna make up the spice mix myself from now on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Btw - thanks to everyone for your suggestions.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

unkel wrote: »
    One thing to be careful about is that some / most of Patak pastes are not sterile, so after adding more paste, you need to boil your curry for a bit before you should taste.

On that basis, is it okay to use the paste as a marinade with yogurt as stated on the jar? I'm guessing that you would ensure that all was thoroughly cooked along with your meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I get petty good results with a pot of Tesco's (blasphemy!) Tandoori Spice Mix (powder, not paste), mixed with yoghurt and lemon juice and used as a marinade. The lemon juice gives it that kick that can be lacking from commercial pastes and powders. Alternatively, try adding a little tamarind paste to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Darkginger wrote: »
    I get petty good results with a pot of Tesco's (blasphemy!) Tandoori Spice Mix (powder, not paste), mixed with yoghurt and lemon juice and used as a marinade. The lemon juice gives it that kick that can be lacking from commercial pastes and powders. Alternatively, try adding a little tamarind paste to the mix.

I used to use Pataks Curry Paste but for some reason my local Dunnes, Tescos and Supervalue don't stock them any more.

Aldi are doing a special on them on thursday 8th october so Ill stock up then.

It funny but when I couldn't get the Pataks Paste I started using the Tescos Tandoori Spice Mix as suggested by Darkginger with great results.

• Advertisement
Advertisement