Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ombre hair

• 14-05-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

I LOVE this style at the moment but.. my hair is kind of short. Like an inch below my chin. And its dead straight. All the celebs Iv seen with this hair colour have long waves.

Do you think it would just look like i was growing out a colour rather than actually styled like that? I have horrible flashbacks in my head of trying to grow out sun-in from a bob in my teens.

Is ombre hair for long haired girls only? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

What is ombre hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Oh sorry , its dark hair on top but lightens towards the end. Its meant to be a sort of sunkissed look

like this

rachel-bilson-ombre-hair-color240do071310.jpg

God i wish i looked like rachel bilson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Oh sorry , its dark hair on top but lightens towards the end. Its meant to be a sort of sunkissed look

like this

http://ficdn.fashionindie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/rachel-bilson-ombre-hair-color240do071310.jpg
    (how do i insert the picture??)

God i wish i looked like rachel bilson

personally i don't like it, she would look better with her dark hair IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Did anyone else read the title and think of Joey in Friends and his "Ombre for men" job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Alexa Chung has short ombre hair and it looks great, I think!

chung2.jpg

• Advertisement

ggr Alexa Chung really grinds me gears for some reason!

Aside from that .. . do you not think hers looks a little grown out?

I must try figure out if i can do this myself. Anyone done it themselves before?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

It is meant to look grown out. Also, if your hair is dark naturally there will be minimal maintenance. Lots of girls I know have a similar style to Alexa's and it is really nice. They only get their roots done every 2-3 months. You could give it a bash yourself but it probably wouldn't turn out very well unless you have some sort of idea what your doing :)

Yeah youre right. Im a novice self-dyer.

Must wait till pay-day then! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

Shop around too because some places are charging insane amounts.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Hi .. This was previously a thread, which mentioned where to get it done

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056194355

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Did this myself the other day :) couldn`t get a hairdresser who had a clue! Heres a vid that I found useful

Mine turned out great so many people have complimented me on it. What colour is your hair?

I'm kind of a medium brown that lightens quite a bit in the sun.

Cos its quite a bit shorter than any of the diy vid iv seen on youtube i think i might leave it to the professionals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Looks just the same when you let your highlights grow out;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I'm finally getting this done this week, i've wanted it for roughly a year but got fobbed off by a hairdresser back home. My new place knew exactly what it was when i mentioned it but i've been waiting until my semester was over. EXCITED :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Vera12

I went to a salon today to get this done - have ended up with half a head of ombre hair and half a head of badly placed highlights! When I leave my hair down it doesn't look too bad, but when I tie it up, it looks ridiculous - especially one part of my hair where the colour was applied first. That part of my hair is much lighter than the rest and kinda looks like I used sun-in on it to be honest. Very disappointed. Was really looking forward to changing my hairstyle and instead I reckon I'll be dying over it soon.

Does anybody know if I can do anything to the really really light part to get rid of the colour and darken it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭uli84

Madam wrote: »
    Looks just the same when you let your highlights grow out;)

but thats true :) thats how I got it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

@Vera 12 - Sorry to hear that

Don't know if I am allowed ask this - but what salon did you get this done in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Vera12 wrote: »
    I went to a salon today to get this done - have ended up with half a head of ombre hair and half a head of badly placed highlights! When I leave my hair down it doesn't look too bad, but when I tie it up, it looks ridiculous - especially one part of my hair where the colour was applied first. That part of my hair is much lighter than the rest and kinda looks like I used sun-in on it to be honest. Very disappointed. Was really looking forward to changing my hairstyle and instead I reckon I'll be dying over it soon.

Does anybody know if I can do anything to the really really light part to get rid of the colour and darken it up?

Told you to do it yourself :p. You can go to boots and get a colour, like if your blond is to brassy get ash light brown to neutralise it, try to get a colour that can blend the colours. You can get one that will darken blonde and lighten your own so it`ll look blended. So you end out with a more subtle ombre.

Good luck! :) ask if you need more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LucyLu82

theg81der wrote: »
    Told you to do it yourself :p. You can go to boots and get a colour, like if your blond is to brassy get ash light brown to neutralise it, try to get a colour that can blend the colours. You can get one that will darken blonde and lighten your own so it`ll look blended. So you end out with a more subtle ombre.

Good luck! :) ask if you need more help.

Its true !!!!:p

- after a few visits to the hairdressers (and never getting the ombre look I wanted) I ending up doing it myself! and hey presto it was easy!!

I bought a highlighting kit from boots and lashed it in the ends.
    and just put more on the tips!
    My hair was a tad orange so I then put an ash blonde over it. it works!
    at last I have achieved this hair dyed look! and to think I spent over 200euro in the hairdressers to get highlights :rolleyes: (see my previous posts for the details....)

so I would recommend anyone to DIY it !!! Thanks for this post:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I did the DIY ombre look by not highlighting my hair for the last 10 months :D It now looks like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqwcvugfHrl76rzcSPzHbD75T3irZV5mz68K-GUu27OYKfvM1UljLWzw85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Anyone know of somewhere in Cork doing this? I went to my regular hairdresser and he was totally against it!

I have just longer than shoulder length hair which is mid-brown naturally and has blonde highlights which are growing out but only by a few weeks so thinking I could probably do with darkening the top a bit more.

I'd be afraid to attempt this myself so any advice welcomed!

Advertisement