Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Acts of Kindness

Options
  • 14-05-2011 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

There is a Green Bin Gnome somewhere near where I live.

Our recycling bin empties every so often. I have a tiny idea who it might be, but no evidence, and I have never seen them do it, even on Green Bin days when I'm home and the bin wasn't full enough to put it out.

Whoever is doing it, I love their random act of kindness!

Have you been on receipt of kindness, or done something anonymous for anyone to make their life a little easier or better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

I helped two chinese people change the tyre on their car on the side of the n11 about two weeks ago and i'm still dead proud :D
    And i now kindly posted in the thread, because i reckon it has potential :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

When I was 6 a woman in the supermarket ripped off a cat teddy that came free with cat food and gave it to me before putting the cat food in her trolley. That was nice of her :'-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

My shining moment of happiness:

A few years ago I bought a load of daffodils and gave one to each person I passed. Some took them, some just walked by like I was a pan-handler and one guy threatened to punch me. On the way home in my Sister's car we were listening to the radio and a woman called in and mentioned how a guy who looked like Jesus made her day by giving her a daffodil.

I am a Jesus looking guy.

me03a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

A complete stranger gave me their unexpired parking voucher with 40 mins still left!
    Thanks complete stranger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

stoneill wrote: »
    A complete stranger gave me their unexpired parking voucher with 40 mins still left!
    Thanks complete stranger!

I do that whenever I can, hate giving those parking people more money for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Was doing a delivery and gave a lad a lift home from the pub so he wouldn't get in trouble with the wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

There are a few gnomes in the Sunshine Forum that have gotten me thru a really tough time, for their Random Acts of Kindness, I can only thank yooz guyz!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

I was walking up a steep hill and had just got to the top of it.

There was an old woman at the top of the hill that looked like she wanted me to ask her was she ok.

So I asked her was she ok :)

She said she was going to mass and couldn't walk down the hill on her own. She was at least 80.

So I turned around, offered her my arm, linked arms with her and walked her all the way down the hill to the church.

She told me that her husband had died and her children live far away and she lives on her own.

It was very sad.

She was very grateful for my help.

Then I walked back up the hill.

Later that day I found 20 euro in a puddle on the ground!

I think that was a reward for my kindness!!

Karma! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I once heard about a drive-thru coffee place in America that had chain of 30 people go through at one point paying for their own coffee, then paying a few bucks towards the coffee of the people behind them. I don't think it was planned either, just a few people got wind of it and paid it forward.

My brother is really good at those cuddly toy grabby machines, but he just likes the challenge, not the teddies themselves. He managed to get 5 of them out of the machine in a row one day and handed them out to the kids after asking their parents if it was okay. I think they thought he was Santa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

A friend of mine on facebook has posted that someone left an envelope anonymously on her door step and is posting a public thank you as she hasn’t been able to find who did it. I gather she’s had a rough time lately and used the money that was in the envelope to take her children on holiday.

Really brightened up my day to see that there are people like that in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

In the last month I have returned 4 lost dogs to their owners :D I live by a park and a lot of dogs seem to get away from their owners there and get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Hello there everyone, Just discovered this forum. Great idea.

I am an artist and I know another artist called Tim Devin, based near Boston, and he runs this project called MEWS-PARI (Meaningful encounters with strangers, Preservation and Re-enactment Initiative) and you participate by submitting stories of meaningful encounters with strangers which he posts on the website and I think he has also published books.

http://timdevin.com/encounters.html

Here is the story I submitted to him:

It was Christmas and I was looking forward to going home for the holidays. I must mention at this point that I'm a student and a broke one at that. So there I was, ridiculously hungover, laden down with luggage, making a mad dash for the last train home on the 23rd December. I managed to reach Connolly Train Station 5 minutes before the train was due to leave, and I awkwardly rushed to the ATM to take out my last, precious 20 euro. To my horror, the screen yelled at me "insufficient funds" as my head pounded and my heart raced. I couldn't believe it. It was all a bit too much for me, and as I lugged my bags up the cold metal stairs of Connolly to the Platforms and sat down, I began to cry. The train was leaving in 3 minutes and I had 5 euro to my name. The train ticket home cost 20. All was lost and I sat with my head in my hands sobbing. A woman noticed me and came over to ask what was wrong. She was soon followed by a man. I explained my predicament through tears and the two strangers both produced 20 euro notes from their pockets, arms outstretched towards me. I grabbed the twenty euro off the man and hauled ass to the ticket counter, shouting thanks in the wrong direction as I ran. I made the train with seconds to spare, still tearful and dehydrated! It makes me sad to think that I couldn't thank the man properly but hopefully he knows that he got an impoverished, hungover student back home to Sligo before Christmas!

Some of you should submit your stories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

During my far distant student days, long before mobile phones and skype, I used to have to use a public phone box to ring my boyfriend who was in England. Several times, I left my wallet on top of the payphone, but got it back - either by remembering and running back, or some honest soul handing it in to the local grocery shop or into the Uni admin office.

One particular time, I left the wallet behind and none of the usual avenues of recovery were successful. I cancelled my bank cards, applied for replacement student cards and vowed to be more careful in future! About a week later a man rang my door bell with a package addressed to me with full postage on it. It was a local homeless beggar who said he was going to post the package but wanted to try the doorbell first. I thanked him with some confusion and he walked off. Guess what? Inside was my wallet with all the money still inside! He'd found my name and address inside. I don't know why it took a week for him to ring the bell - maybe he needed to get the money together for the postage and packaging or maybe just to sober up!

Anyways, he was usually to be found hanging around the area and would always ask for 20p for a cup of tea. I always felt sorry for him and would give him the 20p if I had it. Good karma I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marshmallowie

I was getting the bus from Limerick to Dublin one day- a good old trek- and was sitting next to an elderly lady so when we stopped at a shop- I asked would she like tea/ coffee so got it for her and got her a cake as well! She wanted to pay when I got back but I told her it was my deed for the day!

She wasn't the chatty kind so I just went back to reading my book. I hope she told whoever she was going to visit that not all young people are hooligans! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

This isn't my story but thought it might fit well here.

The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget
    Twenty years ago, I drove a cab for a living. One time I arrived in the middle of the night for a pick up at a building that was dark except for a single light in a ground floor window.
    Under these circumstances, many drivers would just honk once or twice, wait a minute, then drive away. But I had seen too many impoverished people who depended on taxis as their only means of transportation. Unless a situation smelled of danger, I always went to the door. This passenger might be someone who needs my assistance, I reasoned to myself. So I walked to the door and knocked.
    "Just a minute," answered a frail, elderly voice.
    I could hear something being dragged across the floor. After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 80's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940s movie. By her side was a small nylon suitcase.
    The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets. There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware.
    "Would you carry my bag out to the car?" she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman. She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb. She kept thanking me for my kindness.
    "It's nothing," I told her. "I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother treated."
    "Oh, you're such a good boy," she said. When we got in the cab, she gave me an address, then asked, "Could you drive through downtown?"
    "It's not the shortest way," I answered quickly.
    "Oh, I don't mind," she said. "I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice."
    I looked in the rear view mirror. Her eyes were glistening.
    "I don't have any family left," she continued. "The doctor says I don't have very long."
    I quietly reached over and shut off the meter. "What route would you like me to take?" I asked.
    For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator. We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.
    Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.
    As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, "I'm tired. Let's go now."
    We drove in silence to the address she had given me.
    It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico. Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her. I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.
    "How much do I owe you?" she asked, reaching into her purse.
    "Nothing," I said.
    "You have to make a living," she answered.
    "There are other passengers."
    Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.
    "You gave an old woman a little moment of joy," she said. "Thank you."
    I squeezed her hand, then walked into the dim morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.
    I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly, lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?
    On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life. We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.
    Kent Nerburn
    The author has confirmed that this story is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

an old man on the bus asked me if i was ok because i looked sad. the younger generation don't give a flying F* about anyone, so it was nice to be asked even if there was nothing really wrong :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I got a pressie of a trip to the Wacken Festival 2 years ago and stayed a day or so in Hamburg.

Having given some american a few lifts to somewhere I was going to anyway one of his buddies who drove up from Frankfurt to give me a tour of the city.

One time when I was away and on a crowded subway, the only thing near me to hold onto was one of those handle things hanging from the ceiling... but I'm so little I could hardly reach it :o So some random (tall!!) person saw me struggle and swapped positions with me so that I could hold onto the ceiling to floor pole that was next to him :) It's nice when people notice and help the strugglings of little people :D Ditto for trying to reach things in overhead bins :) Thanks to all the kind tall peoples :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Was doing the school run this morning, driving along a busy enough road when i seen the cars up ahead going slow. Then I seen why, a tiny, tiny little kitten walking along in the middle of the road. Way too young to be away from it's mammy. Everyone was driving around it, so when I was in front of it I stopped, put the hazards on & got out to rescue it. Just as I did though, another woman was doing the same on the other side. "You get him" I said, "I've two already at home". So she picked him up & took him with her.

Well done missus, & thank you, he'd undoubtedly have been run over after another minute or two. Poor thing hadn't a clue where it was or what a car was etc. But a happy ending anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

My mum always said to me "Try to do one kind thing for someone at least once a day. One kind act a day."

I try to do that to this day. Even if it's something as small as holding a door open for someone, letting a car out at a junction or something. I will try to do it.

But I love those random acts that people do for you when you don't expect them. They just pick you up and make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

I was playing football a while back. My team has a fierce rivalry with another club that is based nearby.

One time we played them in a very heated match. It ended in a 2-2 draw. But the game was marked by numerous handbags and two players from each team were sent off.

As I was leaving, my car wouldn't start. I only had it a week, but I'd stupidly left an interior light on and the battery was as flat as a pancake. I was going to be stranded until the AA could arrive and give me a jump.

I had the bonnet up and was staring forlornly into the engine, when one of the players from the other team walked past. Despite everything that had happened, he moved his own car over and gave me a jump-start.

We shook hands and had a grin as we each pledged to beat the other next time out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chain came off my bike outside the bikepark/carpark at Drury St a few weeks back. Was on my way to the library to study and in really rotten form and being very clumsy and couldn't get it back on. I may have been swearing out loud. Some really, really nice guy in bike gear stopped and put it back on for me, getting completely oily in the process and having to deal with all those unpleasant moments when your finger gets caught between the chain and whatever that toothy bit the chain sits on is called. Little legend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Grainne101

Surprised no one has mentioned this: http://www.raokclon.com/ organised by Clonakilty Macra na Feirme last weekend, a great success by all accounts :D

995757_582641918455484_1861405843_n.jpg

1240520_1581002588621653_1562270717_n.jpg

Advertisement