Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish mens fashion blogs

• 14-05-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

irish mens fashion blogs

Why is there none ?, I'm not one of those gay's or anything like that

I just want to look my best for the women

Can I get links pls?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I think you answered your own question by having to point out you're "not one of those gays". :rolleyes:

In my opinion most men in this country are so afraid of being labelled homosexual for caring how they look that they just don't bother. Any man with a shred of sartorial interest has to constantly defend accusations from other men that they're gay. Which is ironic since most women will heartily approve of a guy who doesn't look like his Mammy dressed him.

All personal opinion, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

investment wrote: »
    I'm not one of those gay's or anything like that

Please forum charter. Liking fashion doesn't make you gay :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Twee. wrote: »
    Please forum charter. Liking fashion doesn't make you gay :rolleyes:

Thats what I said>>>

"I like fashion but I'm not one of those gay's
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 paul2641

Thats what I said>>>

"I like fashion but I'm not one of those gay's
    "

Yeah but the way you said it has come across ignorant and like it'd be a problem to be gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

What has dressing well got to do with your orientation.

There are irish men's fashion blogs, but the ones i know are run by gay men. Which it seems that you'd have a problem with. No loss to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 cenvuza7fg9kx5

Right here I go, I'll probably kicked off boards for this or at least they'll delete this, but anyway:

In MY OPINION there is a difference between looking good and looking gay(although I don't judge a person based on their clothes). I think I would be right in guessing that the fashion industry is disproportionately run by gay men, not that theirs anything wrong with that. I think I'll leave it for that now for fear of upsetting the uber pc moderators!!!

Anyway all he asked was for a blog on fashion and not one person has given a link yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

To be fair, he asked for IRISH fashion blogs, and a number of posters (myself included) have said we don't know of any Irish specific ones. I can give reams of mens fashion blogs, but none of them will be Irish based.

If it's general fashion blogs/ sites you're after OP, try some of these:

Fashion Beans

US GQ Style

UK GQ Style

Urban Gent

Esquire US style

Nerd Boyfriend (If you like the nerd/geek chic look

Lookbook.nu- Ireland-Guys for inspiration as to what stylish Irish guys are wearing and styling themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

If you're into the more avant garde/high-end areas of male fashion try out

Stitches Fabric and Soul

But if you're just looking for general inspiration and an aesthetic to work from, why not try out Tatler Man? The new magazine for Irish men, it's only had about two or three issues but it's doing really well so far with a good mix of casualwear and formalwear catered to.

Usually all the high street stores like Topman, Zara, H&M, River Island etc. have lookbooks which put together looks from their current collections which can always be a good starting point as it shows clothes in motion and you can better see how they may fit. It's a good idea to take what you see and put your own spin on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

irish mens fashion blogs

Are you sure?

ipadzz wrote: »
    If you're into the more avant garde/high-end areas of male fashion try out

Stitches Fabric and Soul

But if you're just looking for general inspiration and an aesthetic to work from, why not try out Tatler Man? The new magazine for Irish men, it's only had about two or three issues but it's doing really well so far with a good mix of casualwear and formalwear catered to.

Usually all the high street stores like Topman, Zara, H&M, River Island etc. have lookbooks which put together looks from their current collections which can always be a good starting point as it shows clothes in motion and you can better see how they may fit. It's a good idea to take what you see and put your own spin on it.

How the f8uck am I going to wear the stuff oin that link and not look gay or weird:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well to be honest I have tried to talk about men's fashion with women (not gay either, not that it matters) and found them quite closed off about talking about fashion with a man :confused:. I have found it a closed group to be honest.

Maybe they genuinely don't know anything about mens' fashion! It's hard to get into a deep discussion about something you haven't a clue about!

How the f8uck am I going to wear the stuff oin that link and not look gay or weird:eek:

Clothing choice does not make you gay. Please read the charter. Warning for the thread.

Maybe they genuinely don't know anything about mens' fashion! It's hard to get into a deep discussion about something you haven't a clue about!

That maybe but a wall of silence in response to valid questions is not the best way to convey that.

How can they not know about men's fashion. They're the ones that decide whether we're well dressed or not...

Since you're terrified of "looking gay or weird" (since in your opinion that's an awful thing), stick to whatever you can get out of GQ, Tatler Man, Mens Fitness, Mens Health etc.

Paul Galvin has quite a good sense of style and he's an athlete. Maybe take a few tips from him, I know he's done countless interviews about his style since it tends to stick out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Since you're terrified of "looking gay or weird" (since in your opinion that's an awful thing), stick to whatever you can get out of GQ, Tatler Man, Mens Fitness, Mens Health etc.

Paul Galvin has quite a good sense of style and he's an athlete. Maybe take a few tips from him, I know he's done countless interviews about his style since it tends to stick out.

Galvin also gets slated by a hell of a lot of people for the way he dresses. Predominantly male though to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

zoegh wrote: »
    I think you answered your own question by having to point out you're "not one of those gays". :rolleyes:

In my opinion most men in this country are so afraid of being labelled homosexual for caring how they look that they just don't bother. Any man with a shred of sartorial interest has to constantly defend accusations from other men that they're gay. Which is ironic since most women will heartily approve of a guy who doesn't look like his Mammy dressed him.

All personal opinion, though.

Don't think many guys let their mam dress them, maybe they would be better off if they did.

Knex. wrote: »
    Galvin also gets slated by a hell of a lot of people for the way he dresses. Predominantly male though to be fair...

Still, you cannot deny he has a good grasp of style. No matter what gender you are. Men do slate him but that's just because he's doing something out of the ordinary that everyone else should be taking a pinch of inspiration from

• Advertisement

Don't think many guys let their mam dress them, maybe they would be better off if they did.

This is the sort of attitude I was talkng about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well to be honest I have tried to talk about men's fashion with women (not gay either, not that it matters) and found them quite closed off about talking about fashion with a man :confused:. I have found it a closed group to be honest.

I'm with you, mate. I want to look my best for my lady, but she too nice to tell me what I don't look good in! However i send her this link and asked her what style of FC jeans would suit me.. http://www.frenchconnection.com/category/Man+Collections+Jeans/Mens+Jeans.htm and she said.. anything but skinnies!

Now that got me wondering.. why would I look rubbish in skinny jeans? Am I overweight? Too short? I think you have to be careful asking questions like that if you can't handle the answers!

As for the gay thing.. live and let live, wear and let wear, I say!:)

irish mens fashion blogs

I just want to look my best for the women

Can I get links pls?

OP, tbh, if there were a fashion blog where a bunch of men were enthusing with each other about (say) the latest kittyhawk denim jeans from French Connection, I think that would be a bit gay. It's alright to make shop recommendations, but I wouldn't go into too much detail.

Just for the record, not gay myself - nor have I ever considered it - in fact I don't appreciate the insinuation that just because you're a man and sartorially inclined, that you also indulge in the other vices of the fashion industry.

Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

house of fraser dundrum on the botom floor have a great mens department which covers everything, casual, smart casual, formal, active etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Knex. wrote: »
    Galvin also gets slated by a hell of a lot of people for the way he dresses.

Rightly so, for someone that's so into his clothes he dresses like sh1t.

Can't believe a poster here was recommending someone to take tips from him :eek:

james no.1 wrote: »
    house of fraser dundrum on the botom floor have a great mens department which covers everything, casual, smart casual, formal, active etc

Ooohh... House of Fraser. Isn't that a bit..well... middle-class, middle-aged, unadventurous? Like an updated version of C&A (if anyone remembers them)?

But i haven't been there recently (my nearest is Victoria, London). Maybe they've shaken up their image and become trendier!):)

HOF will have Topman, Ted Baker, CK Jeans, Paul Smith, SuperDry, Armani Exchange, True Religion etc, as well as your Ralph Lauren, Gant.

Going shopping in town tomorrow and wouldn't mind a few recommendations. I am fairly religious about Zara Man and try Genius on Clarendon Street sometimes.

I'd rather not go over to the northside.

Cheers.

keanooo wrote: »
    Going shopping in town tomorrow and wouldn't mind a few recommendations. I am fairly religious about Zara Man and try Genius on Clarendon Street sometimes.

I'd rather not go over to the northside.

Cheers.

Take a trip to london, cheap flight 24 euros, and shop till you drop in style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

the basics of dressing well are the same for men and women. the biggest thing that Irish guys do wrong IMHO is wear clothes which don't fit them properly. shops frequently have dramatically different sizing so always try things on before you buy and get someone else's opinion if you're not sure. clothes aren't there just to cover you, they should highlight your good bits so no matter how much you like something on the rack, don't buy it if it doesn't complement your shape. look in magazines and when you're walking round try to identify people whose looks you like and figure out why, in your opinion, it works. be honest with yourself when you're trying things on and don't be afraid to try new things. if you're looking to impress women with your style a classic look is always good (if it actually fits well!) but most women would respect a guy who seems confident in their clothes, even though they may be wearing something which other guys might not be brave enough to try. i don't mean anything ludicrous but using colours, clever tailoring and patterns in a considered way can make you stand out from the crowd in a good way and not 'i covered myself in glue and rolled around in topman optimistically'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I'm no fashion expert but this looks like a site where a couple of fugly badly dressed fashion industry rejects got together to make themselves feel part of the cool set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I'm no fashion expert but this looks like a site where a couple of fugly badly dressed fashion industry rejects got together to make themselves feel part of the cool set.

Imagine if you seen a woman wearing these clothes, honestly they look like they've escaped from an insane asylum.

5958321115_eb262b4883_z.jpg

5967750026_2de4d40853_z.jpg

5967750012_4af21ca645_b.jpg

I get where OP is coming from. Most mens fashion blog are just pretentious and you wouldn't be able to wear any of the clothes in real life. I'm sick of seeing men's clothes websites where 90% of the men are wearing skin tight skinny jeans ... I'm skinny as it is I don't what to look more skinny. When ever I go shopping I always feel as though the clothes aren't worth it for the prices they're charging. When ever I go out all I see lads wearing are a pair of jeans and a tee-shirt with "Diesel" plastered all over it. What's the shop near from HMV on shop street in Galway ?? ... Think it's River Island. I really like the clothes there , they're pricey enough and probably not worth it but the look unreal.

RobAMerc wrote: »

harsh... but fair!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've been looking through boards and there's a market for a thread covering mens fashion imo.

Fairly certain a thread where people could put up links to clothes they've spotted online that others might appreciate, or offers on high street brands in Ireland. Maybe a step too far but a thread where people could post pics of themselves wearing an outfit, looking for feedback on how it looks, changes that could be made to improve the look etc.

Any ideas mods??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have you thought about looking in the F&A forum? :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Have you thought about looking in the F&A forum? :rolleyes:
    Rolleyes? Really?

I'm talking about setting up a designated thread for men only to discuss clothing, fashion tips, general grooming etc. - it seems to be split between moards, TGC & here

And even from the Threads I've seen in F&A - the majority are womens - I mean read this thread FFS - half of it is spent claiming "I'm not gay but...."

If there was a designated thread/area for men then maybe they'd be more comfortable and we could get over the initial explanation as to why we're looking for tips

PaulieC wrote: »
    I've been looking through boards and there's a market for a thread covering mens fashion imo.

No one's stopping you creating one!
    Fairly certain a thread where people could put up links to clothes they've spotted online that others might appreciate, or offers on high street brands in Ireland.

The Chatwalk/Buying Clothes and Accessories Online threads.
    Maybe a step too far but a thread where people could post pics of themselves wearing an outfit, looking for feedback on how it looks, changes that could be made to improve the look etc.

What Did You Wear Today? thread.

This has come up before and it was felt that there was no need to create a separate subforum, for example. We felt segregating the forum was a bad idea, creating a bigger divide. Men are just as welcome to start threads about clothes, contribute to the Chatwalk, post in Latest Purchases. In the What Did You Wear thread opening post, I specifically stated that it would be great to get more men posting in it, as most men's posts here are about everyday clothing.

The reason there are more women's threads is because more women post here. Not really much we can do about that. It's up to guys to post more, but you have to understand that women are going to reply and join in the discussion, the exact same way you're most welcome to join in discussions about women's fashion.

The whole "I'm not gay but" thing is not a forum problem, it's an outside world problem. We have stated in our charter that clothing choice does not have effect on your sexual preferences, and those who use the word gay to describe clothes are dealt with by mods.

If there was ever to be a men's subforum, it would not be until there was sufficient interest in the topic. Like how Beauty became a subforum this year because there were so many threads on fashion and beauty, it made sense to split them. At the moment, we're not getting enough men's threads to warrant a whole other forum.

No one's stopping you creating one!

Firstly, cheers for the reply, appreciate it.

This would've been the next step for me had I been given the green light - however I'm only new to this forum - didn't want to come storming in creating threads and upsetting mods/regular posters etc.

As per the rest of your post - makes complete sense to me, cheers for clarifying.

I'll start frequenting those threads so and see where that leads

Firstly, cheers for the reply, appreciate it.

This would've been the next step for me had I been given the green light - however I'm only new to this forum - didn't want to come storming in creating threads and upsetting mods/regular posters etc.

As per the rest of your post - makes complete sense to me, cheers for clarifying.

I'll start frequenting those threads so and see where that leads

Not at all, looking forward to your contributions! No need for "permission" to start threads, just go for it. If there's an issue the mods can deal with that :)

Not at all, looking forward to your contributions! No need for "permission" to start threads, just go for it. If there's an issue the mods can deal with that :)
    Ah I know but on other forums that I'd spend alot of time on I find new posters tend to rush in without feeling out the surroundings first and they don't get as good feedback - that's just my take on it though....also I'm sure the F&A forum is very different to the soccer forum! :pac:

• Advertisement

Fairly certain a thread where people could put up links to clothes they've spotted online that others might appreciate, or offers on high street brands in Ireland. Maybe a step too far but a thread where people could post pics of themselves wearing an outfit, looking for feedback on how it looks, changes that could be made to improve the look etc.

Any ideas mods??

There's a forum called DenimBlog that has loads of pictures of people sporting their latest designer jeans.. I'm a member and laughed at a topic about men wearing white jeans!!:)

Try RTÉ Fashion, which has a new menswear dedicated section with news, features, galleries, blog posts and competitions

www.rte.ie/lifestyle/fashion/mens/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Try RTÉ Fashion, which has a new menswear dedicated section with news, features, galleries, blog posts and competitions

www.rte.ie/lifestyle/fashion/mens/

I'm afraid that link doesn't work, is this what you meant http://www.rte.ie/tv/realitybites/sharpdressedman.html?

If so its a rather poor effort, there are very real differences in the way well-made clothing are made for men and women. Topics that need to be covered are pattern-matching, body and suit shapes, bespoke and made-to-measure and materials.

By and large womens fashion is obsessed with impermanence, elitism and names. It brings namebrand-fetishism to new heights through its use of image and language.

Men's clothing in this country is self-obsessed with an imaginary price/quality graph where I spent EXXX.00 = Y amount of style and prestige.

Good design starts from the smallest element, what is it made of, how was it made, where was it made and how does it fit.

Excuse the broken link, this: http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/fashion/features/mens/

Clearly I wasn't talking about "sharp dressed man" if I were, I would have linked to that

Advertisement