Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lily Beetle

Options
  • 14-05-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any success controlling the red lily beetle. I have been watching the lillies quite close and removing the beetles and larvae, but they keep reappearing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

johnayo wrote: »
    Has anyone had any success controlling the red lily beetle. I have been watching the lillies quite close and removing the beetles and larvae, but they keep reappearing.

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dec7golf

hi ,

the only non chemical method is really picking them off. there are some biological controls (parasitic wasps) used in mainland europe but not practical here.

Pesticides that can be used against lily beetle include those containing pyrethrum, deltamethrin, thiacloprid, imidacloprid, acetamiprid or bifenthrin.
    May require measures to be repeated during the summer.

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

dec7golf wrote: »
    hi ,

the only non chemical method is really picking them off. there are some biological controls (parasitic wasps) used in mainland europe but not practical here.

Pesticides that can be used against lily beetle include those containing pyrethrum, deltamethrin, thiacloprid, imidacloprid, acetamiprid or bifenthrin.
    May require measures to be repeated during the summer.

rgds

Thanks for that. I have the lily's in a large pot for years and never had a problem. I think I'll keep picking them off for the remainder of the season, and when they die back, I'll throw away the pot and compost and replant in a new setup.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dec7golf

yeah sounds like the best option. just be aware that they overwinter as adults in sheltered places, often in the soil but not necessarily near lillies.

the RHS are doing research into using odours to control them
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/Science/Plant-pests/Projects/Impact,-host-range-and-chemical-ecology-of-the-lil

rgds

Advertisement