Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Blueface like

• 14-05-2011 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I am setting up a Voip account for somebody else to save them money.

It will be running down UPC broadband.

I have set up the account already and tested it on my MAC.

I assume with the handset arrives you just enter your account details?

What is it like to use?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Ranicand wrote: »
    I am setting up a Voip account for somebody else to save them money.

It will be running down UPC broadband.

I have set up the account already and tested it on my MAC.

I assume with the handset arrives you just enter your account details?

What is it like to use?

It depends if you use an ata or an ip phone. It is really simple to use and you can call emergency services, 1890 1850 0818 etc numbers as normal. They automatically setup a dial plan to Dublin so you don't need to put 01 before the number. You can email them to change it to a different region.

If its an ata, you can simply pick up the ip phone as like a traditional phone. It gives you a lot of options and cheaper calls abroad. You don't need your computer or anything turned on to use the ata or ip phone. It is great with upc broadband.

If you get your phone from blueface, its already configured so just plug it in.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

In practice Blueface is excellent in use, with very clear quality (eople have remarked on this to me when speaking to them over landline>voip or mobile>voip)

If there are many devices on yor network, or you like downloading or streaming of media, it would be best to set up QoS (I think the new UPC modem has the functionality - what's your UPC modem model number?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Dardania wrote: »
    In practice Blueface is excellent in use, with very clear quality (eople have remarked on this to me when speaking to them over landline>voip or mobile>voip)

If there are many devices on yor network, or you like downloading or streaming of media, it would be best to set up QoS (I think the new UPC modem has the functionality - what's your UPC modem model number?)

I don't know yet the modem is coming on Monday.

The Blueface is sounding good thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Have used BF for approx 5 years

Their support is dire when you need them (I have requested support less than 10 times in these 5 years and the majority of the support encounters have been woeful). I would advise having a backup plan in place

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Using them for several years, support can be slow at times but I find if I fling off a mail I do get a response. To be honest I rarely need support, the service is the finest and they do give good advance notice of service windows.

• Advertisement

Have used them for several years now via an ATA and DECT phone, any problems I had were due to a bad internet connection. Since I moved to UPC I've had no trouble at all.

Karsini wrote: »
    Have used them for several years now via an ATA and DECT phone, any problems I had were due to a bad internet connection. Since I moved to UPC I've had no trouble at all.

Just set the whole thing up.

Blueface had the wrong username settings on the handset.:D

I am a fast learner and I fixed it.

Running it over UPC.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Just set the whole thing up.

Blueface had the wrong username settings on the handset.:D

I am a fast learner and I fixed it.

Running it over UPC.:)

nice one - pays to double check these things ;-)

what router is it? try the QoS idea?

Dardania wrote: »
    nice one - pays to double check these things ;-)

what router is it? try the QoS idea?

Just a wired modem no Firewalls.

Happy days.:D

Glad to hear it works for you Ranicad, good luck!

Disclaimer: I nor Blueface have any relation with eachother, apart from being a client.

• Advertisement

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Glad to hear it works for you Ranicad, good luck!

Disclaimer: I nor Blueface have any relation with eachother, apart from being a client.

I was surprised at the call quality.
    A lot to be said for a decent UPC connection.

Eircom is in trouble if more people discover this.

I was surprised at the call quality.
    A lot to be said for a decent UPC connection.

Eircom is in trouble if more people discover this.

Eircom is already in trouble. Their revenue went down 11% in the last three months- http://goo.gl/ZI3ap

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Eircom is already in trouble. Their revenue went down 11% in the last three months- http://goo.gl/ZI3ap

That is not looking very good for them.

That is not looking very good for them.

i could imagine what happens when they are a little company, and trying to compete with vodafone, voip and digiweb!
    Although, they are going through the eircom wholesale but im sure that will all change!:cool:

Remember that eircom is a big employer so if they loose profit, they loose employees. although the other providers would be hireing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Remember that eircom is a big employer so if they loose profit, they loose employees. although the other providers would be hireing.
    Also if business can get a better deal, it will create / save jobs elsewhere in the economy, similar to a tax reduction.

So while there may be a net gain in the number of jobs, it is still hard on any Eircom employees who may loose their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chris Blake

Blueface have a highly inefficent back-up service: ie it's non existant and you'll eventually get so fed up, you'll move provider and get yourself a new phone number, despite all the hassle this will cause you. It'll still be easier than being cut off after 30 seconds every time you initiate a telephone call. It's very frustrating calling your clients and then getting cut off just as you're getting stuck into your conversation. Be warned, Blueface's technical support and service is dredgeful if you've a problem. After six weeks with the same compliant, they still didn't get me sorted, I moved having been a customer for in excess of four years. Once I'd moved they offered an alternative solution, by way of a second hand telephone in place of the new one I'd purchased from them for the princely sum of €200. Sign up with Blueface at your peril!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Blueface have a highly inefficent back-up service: ie it's non existant and you'll eventually get so fed up, you'll move provider and get yourself a new phone number, despite all the hassle this will cause you. It'll still be easier than being cut off after 30 seconds every time you initiate a telephone call. It's very frustrating calling your clients and then getting cut off just as you're getting stuck into your conversation. Be warned, Blueface's technical support and service is dredgeful if you've a problem. After six weeks with the same compliant, they still didn't get me sorted, I moved having been a customer for in excess of four years. Once I'd moved they offered an alternative solution, by way of a second hand telephone in place of the new one I'd purchased from them for the princely sum of €200. Sign up with Blueface at your peril!

Interesting FIRST post ......

Advertisement