Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam papers vs textbook

• 14-05-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I plan on doing all of my study using exam papers and marking schemes.
    Does this sound ok? I'm afraid something might come up that hasn't been asked before that might be in my text book, but I think it's too late to go trawling through my textbooks. Is anybody else planning on just using exam papers for the remaining time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check the syllabi - not the text books. The syllabus for each subject is what the exams are based on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I know thanks, but i'm just wondering should I just do exam papers alone and only refer to the text book if I need help or should I study the text book aswell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most text books don't cover the whole syllabus, but questions can be asked from anywhere on the syllabus, so I suppose you'd have to use papers and whatever textbook you have together, but that doesn't guarantee you'll know all the possible areas to be examined - only the syllabus covers that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Depends on the subject really... But that's what I've always done. I need to use the geography and Irish books once in a while but aside from that just exam papers.

njd2010 wrote: »
    Depends on the subject really... But that's what I've always done. I need to use the geography and Irish books once in a while but aside from that just exam papers.

I will be focusing on Biology,Ag Science,Economics,French & DCG. I think exam papers are the way to go for these subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

For Biology I only study from exam papers... never open the textbook. If you have the Edco exam papers, even better- they give you sample answers for things the marking schemes leave out. Can't say for the other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

If you have edco exam papers you can usually check the front to see what questions have come up. If there is a question you haven't convered, just go to the ticked exam paper and try it out. If it's not there at all then you know what to look up in the textbook.

I'm not sure if the Biology one has it though. It probably does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Business has a question on 07 and 06 shorts that does not come up in your text books. Matrix structure.

I'm personally using both. for music i still need my Notes book, French i use now and again, Business is like a bible, Maths and Economics isn't really being used but i have great notes for both subject in my folder.

So do whatever you feel is right, and more important, what makes it stick

njd2010 wrote: »
    If you have the Edco exam papers, even better- they give you sample answers for things the marking schemes leave out.

I checked out that website, the sample answers are great. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

just do the exam papers and use google to help... ya don't need to look at your books unless your doing homework basically

the papers show the questions and how there layed out so your used to answering the questions in the right format... works for basically every subject...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Business has a question on 07 and 06 shorts that does not come up in your text books. Matrix structure.

I'm personally using both. for music i still need my Notes book, French i use now and again, Business is like a bible, Maths and Economics isn't really being used but i have great notes for both subject in my folder.

So do whatever you feel is right, and more important, what makes it stick

Your school needs to change its business book if thats the case , matrix structure is a pretty essential part to teamwork and change management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

NotExactly wrote: »
    I will be focusing on Biology,Ag Science,Economics,French & DCG. I think exam papers are the way to go for these subjects.

At this point for Ag Science you're probably better off going with the exam papers and marking schemes, assuming you have the green ag science book.

At this point for Ag Science you're probably better off going with the exam papers and marking schemes, assuming you have the green ag science book.

Thanks.

I've been doing exam questions that go back to the 80's but only have marking schemes that go back to 2001. Do you know where I can get marking schemes that go further back than 2001 for Ag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

NotExactly wrote: »
    Thanks.

I've been doing exam questions that go back to the 80's but only have marking schemes that go back to 2001. Do you know where I can get marking schemes that go further back than 2001 for Ag?

To be honest I don't, I don't even have them myself. What I would say is that some of the stuff that was on the earlier papers isn't really asked anymore and you've probably seen the papers change subtly over the past 10 years or so.

Having said that, if there's a question you don't have an answer to, stick it in the main Ag Science thread and myself or westsa will have a look at it.

Advertisement