Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving school

• 14-05-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

As the year is coming to an end is anyone feeling sad or even scared??.
    I'm sure everyone is feeling nervous about the exams as myself but I'm also in a weird way feeling kinda sad and scared about leaving school.
    I mean everyone here has spent the best part of 13 or 14 years in school in fact the majority of our life has been spent in a classroom.
    This time last year I was probaly sitting in a classroom texting under my desk as you do ;). This time next year we could be doing anything yeah I mean we've all picked our Cao choices and our plc courses but we won't know weither we'll get in until august/september time so we don't officially know were we will be in one years time it's pretty daunting.
    Also no more timetables no more people making the deceision for us for were we need to be in this specific time and this specific place we've to decide that for ourselfs now. I think school gives you the security that college and employment won't.
    I hear people saying " I can't wait to leave school" I know the old saying school years the best years of your life gets boring hearing it after a while but i'd imagine it's a very true statement.
    Were going into the big bad world of employment (if were lucky) and paying rent etc. I can still remember my first day of secondary school five years ago in 2006 I was 12 and I can remember one teacher saying "you're time here will fly" I said yeah right in like a million years now look how quick time has past with just eight days of school left :confused:.
    I'm sure everyone's grad nite is coming up soon and I'd say Take that's never forget or Green day's Time of your life will be played I'd say that will be really sad coming from an unamotional person offcourse ha :o:o.
    I'm not saying their's not a life after school because their definatly is and I'm sure everyone will have great future's but school is a big part of our lifes it's not just were we learned to do a quadratic equation or learn quotes from Hamlet it's were we grew up and learned our social skills and sadly it's coming to end very soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

For me it's a bit of both! I have loved my school for the whole 13 years great people great school etc but I feel like it's time to leave. Change is good :D plus college will be awesome :D new people, parties, studying something you actually want to study!! (if they'll let me in that is... :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I'm really sad! I'm not myself lately. I'm dreading Grad Mass for the simply reason there will be lots of tears (mainly from moi! :P)

I hate change, and this is the biggest change I'll ever go through! The uncertainty, the freedom it's all so daunting!

I remember my first day of primary school (aged 4), first day of my next primary school (aged 10) and my first day of secondary school (aged 12)! god I was 12 when I started... Halfway to 19 now! The time has flown and the changes have been immense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'll miss my old school but I can't wait to start university as well (Providing all goes well...).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm sad but starting to think about it, this whole thing about best days of our lives is a bit much.

We sit in rooms, do monotonous work , repeatedly, live by a schedule day in day out, conform to uniformity.

The experiences i plan on having in my life , school hopefully won't hold a candle to them. That's just me though, and I've had a great time in school. I'm just hoping i have an even better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

Yeah these days I find myself getting nostalgic at school, thinking of all the good times I've had, the friends I've made and the simple things that I'll probably go on to miss so much.

Then someone bangs into me and I think, good riddance to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

actaully can't wait to leave :D summer is goin to be ridiculous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

If secondary school days are the best of my life I might just off myself now...

I liked school but never quite got to the stage of loving it and I certainly won't be sad to leave. I think if your year is close and everyone gets along it helps and for me, we just had too many different people who just weren't capable of having good relationships with each other. I can't in all honesty see any of my year shedding a tear at the grads mass, even if i was to sing somewhere over the rainbow or something (the ukulele version)... and usually that kills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

I grew up in a rural area where a lot of people in school were very conservative in their beliefs. I never really clicked with anyone because of my crazy feminist lgbt-rights ways. I just never meshed with the place.

I moved to Dublin for fifth and sixth year and have never enjoyed life more. It overwhelms me to think about how I am almost always happy nowadays and I feel beyond lucky. I will miss my school very much.
    I used to scoff at the nostalgic "best days of your life" thing, but not I'm beginning to see the point.
    If you are in a happy environment, school could easily be the most relaxing, enjoyable time in life. I don't have to worry about bills, a mortgage, children (oh Jesus, the thought of it..), loan repayments, holding down a job that the recession could cause of evaporate and that is something my future-self would probably envy!

I worry that us LCs have been cushioned by our privileged education , having never had to enter the big, bad real world. I wonder if I'm equipped for it yet. 8 school days is not enough! I used to want school to be done with asap, but now it is here I can't bear to let it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 irelandfan

I also never pointed out that were all coming out of school at the worst possible year since the 80's probaly :(:(.
    The points are going up every year a few years ago people would just come out of college and just walk into jobs not now I'm afraid :(:(.
    Emigration is an issue we might all have to consider also so Imo it's sad leaving school and it couldn't come at a worst time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

irelandfan wrote: »
    I also never pointed out that were all coming out of school at the worst possible year since the 80's probaly :(:(.

In your opinion.

Emigration is an issue we might all have to consider also so Imo it's sad leaving school and it couldn't come at a worst time.

Get your Leaving Cert out of the way and get into your course before you start worrying about emigration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm quite delighted to be leaving, to be honest. They haven't been very good years but that's because of my health as opposed to the actual school. I guess I'll probably miss the teachers the most because they're really absolutely lovely! I will probably get a bit emotional at graduation because everyone else will be crying but I won't really mind that we're finished.

Starting university I'm a bit scared about though. It seems so daunting. :eek: Oh well, there was a time when leaving Primary school seemed daunting as well and we lived :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

this time last year I wasn't upset at all and couldnt understand people crying at the grad mass I mean the people that made the most impact on your years in secondary school are the people you'll keep in touch with. However since moving to a different school to repeat I can totally understand why people are upset, I've only known these people for a year but it's madness to think we all came into the year as strangers and are leaving as good friends! Now I'm dreading grad mass because I know there's a good possibility I'll bawl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I can't wait to be done forever! In our school, practically everyone hates our year, it's just all cliques. Seriously. If you look at an American tv show, with their jocks, cheerleaders, nerds, etc.. our school is worse!

The amount of bítchiness/fighting that goes on is unreal! No one gives a damn about anyone! :P

But yeah I'll miss my friends, because I've been with my group of friends since JUNIOR infants.. :( So it's gonna be a big shock to not see them everyday and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Yes yes yes yes yes. :(
    I'm actually crying now reading this thread and even thinking about it. I have been dreading leaving school for the last 2/3 years.

It's wierd. It's not that I particularly get on amazingly well with anyone, I'm just going to miss the security SO unbelievably much.

I've went through a LOT of tough times at home over the last 3 years and the teachers have been the people I look up to almost as parents?

The guidance counsellor and my deputy principal have been basically parents to me. I'm so so scared and emotional that I'm going to have to cope on my own and don't know if I'm going to be able to do it.

If your life as been relatively normal I can understand how you might think I'm a complete freak (which I probably am :P ) but I'm so scared of change. I'm going to miss the security so much. Not having somebody to turn to with my problems who will listen to me is going to be so so hard.

I'm after reading over that and I know I sound like a complete wierdo so sorry! :P I doubt many people feel the same way as I do but if you do, how are you going to cope? :(

I'm actually in bits! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

justified wrote: »
    For me it's a bit of both! I have loved my school for the whole 13 years great people great school etc but I feel like it's time to leave. Change is good :D plus college will be awesome :D new people, parties, studying something you actually want to study!! (if they'll let me in that is... :eek:)

nail on the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Truth be told, I'll miss school. Got a bit emotional when writing a piece about my years there for the yearbook :')

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

It's hard to put an emotion on the whole leaving thing, there is a mixture of sadness, panic, excitement, joy? it's just an incredibly weird sensation?
    To think that I have only 4 full days of school left? Who would have thought it possible on the first day of Primary School with my Barney lunch box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm dreading leaving school. I get teary eyed and panicky every time I think about it. I don't want to go to third level :( I have six days left and I'll no longer be a student (until August anyway). Just not looking foward to the last class on the last day. My teacher will go mad if I'm crying my eyes out. And something tells me I will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

For a lot of year, I was looking forward to starting college. I was sick of the competitive atmosphere that surrounds the LC, I felt ready to move onto 'bigger' things.

It's now that there remain less than five days of secondary school EVER, that I'm getting upset and beginning to appreciate exactly what it is that I love about school.

I love being part of year group who, this year, have finally gelled. It's presumably something that comes with maturity, but the petty fights that soured the atmosphere for most of the Junior Cycle are almost nonexistent this year, or at least I don't notice them.

I love how close I have become to so many people. When I started secondary school, six years ago, I knew absolutely nobody and I never thought that I would ever find a 'good' friend. Now I have two or three people who I could talk about anything with and am extremely close; and a whole other group of people with whom I can have great craic.

I'm scared that when we go our separate ways, contact is slowly going to be lost.

I love my teachers. I'm aware that the kind of relationship you have with your teachers in secondary school will not be mirrored in college. I'm scared of the anonymity of it all.

I love all of my subjects. I love the variety of the eight subjects - three languages, four sciences, a business....I hate the idea of having to narrow that down.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm feeling right now. I'm nostalgic, sentimental, regretful, scared, worried.....I wish I could wrap myself up in this little cocoon of security and forget about the future :(:(

I think this song sums up how I feel about now:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

So many feelings...

Excited as hell for college, but we were planning our graduation night today in school and we'll be putting up pictures of us around the school, i'm going to miss my school really because the teachers are excellent tbh and everyone gets on well.

But imagine the feeling we'll all feel walking out of the last exam... That's going to be some feeling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 irelandfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6uz_VTCUo
    think this is appropriate as I'm sure many of our grad nights are coming up soon. how sad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6uz_VTCUo
    think this is appropriate as I'm sure many of our grad nights are coming up soon. how sad!!!

That song reminds me of death. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

What I'm worried about the most is making new friends in college and not living at home anymore... I made friends for life in secondary school, and I'll be so upset if we drift apart! :(
    I'm not exactly the most sociable person you'll ever meet and I'm terrified that I won't click with anyone and I'll be all alone :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I won't miss school, I'm sick of it at this stage, I couldn't do another year. But I'll miss seeing all the friends I made there everyday. It's sad think that I'll inevitably grow apart from the majority of them. I'm really freaked out about the whole thing. I have no idea what's going to happen next year. It's basically up to everyone themselves to look after themselves, no more teachers bending over backwards trying to help. I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with it.

Advertisement