Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Clipper

• 14-05-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Need to clip my dogs have 4 shih-tzus :rolleyes:Cant afford the groomer anymore,can anyone reccomend a good clipper? Going to shave them as the weather seems to be picking up.Also a good nail clipper.
    Thank you:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

WAHL definitely ;) Got http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8706526/Trail/searchtext%3EPET+CLIPPER.htm off ebay for a tenner a few months back. Its €35 in argos so shop around. Simple to use, has a safety blade so not in the slightest bit dangerous and does the job. Everyone is admiring him now and he looks like a puppy :D But I'd say the best would probably be http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8706519/Trail/searchtext%3EPET+CLIPPER.htm as it comes with a trimmer for around the face... Even though it seems expensive it is the same price as one grooming in the groomers!
    Good luck

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71242073

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

thanks so much,never thought of Argos will buy the dearest one :) worth it hope its up to the job one dog looks like he needs to be sheared:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have the second set listed above, the little battery trimmer stopped working after 2 uses, but the big clippers are still going 18months later. I clip every month in summer and every 6 weeks in winter, varying lengths with seasons.
    Takes a bit of practice, and patience, was taking me pretty much all day to do my two at first, now getting both washed, dried and clipped in under 5hrs (with tea break). Both mine would have similar hair to yours (Lhasa Apso and Tibetan Terrier), well worth the investment, I figured if I got 6 months it would be worth it. Will need new set shortly.

You do need to keep the dogs well brushed for your own sanity if grooming yourself, or dogs will end up skinned, and brush before washing and before clipping, always clip after a wash as if hair is clean there's nothing to gum up the blades so they last longer, always clean as instructed too.

I put a towel on the table and stand dogs on that, use patio tale of weather good enough (birds love the fluff).
    Local petshop or vets will have nail clippers for sale, only cost about €5.

Oh, and the set I got came with a DVD on how to use the clippers, very useful;)

don't try and get through matted hair with clippers, you need to carefully tease out knots and cut away matted hair, clippers will just jam and pull dogs skin. Happened to a lady I know who thought she could just shave the dogs knots out.
    If you can cut matts fairly short you may be able to get clippers under and trim the rest away carefully. But your dog will look like its been scalped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Msking

I picked one up in discount store for €2, my groomer said it was a good one, I did see them in loads of discount shops since

Advertisement