Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redknapp: Dissenting fans are 'idiots'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

As Mick McCarthy would say, "Everybody is a bloody expert!"
    I'm with Harry on this one.
    We should never forget the mess we were in when he took over.
    Totally unbalanced squad and players with no confidence.
    We have gone through a long exciting season.
    More bad luck than good and lots of injuries.
    I still think Harry is the man and look forward to next season.
    Eaten bread is soon forgot.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

yidweiser wrote: »
    More bad luck than good and lots of injuries.

With respect that is nonsense.

Man City have stood still for all the money they spent this year, we have massively ballsed up the chance to secure a 2nd year in the CL.

The Fiver on the Guardian website sums it up brilliantly:
    'ARRY'S LAMENT: HOW CAN TOTTENHAM BE EXPECTED TO BEAT BLACKPOOL WHEN MANCHESTER CITY HAVE SO MUCH MONEY?

As for Redknapp himself?
    "The reaction doesn't hurt me," Redknapp said. "The reason I don't listen to phone-ins is because you're talking about idiots," he said. "Who rings up a radio station? My dad lived for football, went every Saturday, but he wouldn't pick up the phone to a radio station. It's absolute nonsense.

You're never off the fúcking thing you hypocrite.
    99.9% of people who go to Tottenham have loved everything they've seen. That's all that matters

I dare say I know more Spurs fan who go regularly than Redknapp does, and with the exception of a handful of games most of them have been fairly sceptical of the way we've gone about our business on the field.

I'm not calling for his head (yet) but he should try shutting his noise before he talks himself out of a job.

Finally, it would be refreshing for a change for the media to climb out of the man's arse and ask him some real questions about where things went wrong this season. Rafa Benitez delivered consistent top 4 at Liverpool and a CL and never got the free run that H gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

We having a poor run and there are questions to be dealt with, theres no doubt about that.

However I can't beleive the level of criticism aimed at the manager when he has his 1st sticky period. (A sticky period that still sees us in the top 6 of the PL)

I agree with his response. And it's worth noting that he's not having a go at the majority of Spurs supportors, just the mouthy boo-boy minority.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The same interview, Redknapp on this seasons performance "we have done better than last season"

-We drew 2 home games last season, we drew 9 home games this season. Also at this stage of the season last year we had 67pts, to be doing better means we should be in 3rd place, Arsenal on 67pts.

The same interview, Redknapp on our poor run in "when we lost Gareth to injury, that was a big blow for us"

-The big blow for us was offloading only one of our under-performing strikers in January and not bringing in a quality striker.

The team suffered because of our lack of goal scoring, any manager worth his salt would come out and say that, even honest Harry! No excuses.

The same interview, Redknapp on this seasons performance "we have done better than last season"

-We drew 2 home games last season, we drew 9 home games this season. Also at this stage of the season last year we had 67pts, to be doing better means we should be in 3rd place, Arsenal on 67pts.

The same interview, Redknapp on our poor run in "when we lost Gareth to injury, that was a big blow for us"

-The big blow for us was offloading only one of our under-performing strikers in January and not bringing in a quality striker.

The team suffered because of our lack of goal scoring, any manager worth his salt would come out and say that, even honest Harry! No excuses.

Do you want him replaced ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

ive never been a fan of redknapp, even when he brought us CL last season he was always only a phone call away from droping it all for the england job, but he is discrediting us fans who will be here long after hes forgotten about. If he mentions the 2pts in 8 games again he may aswell ge his coat... it was nearly 3 years ago. The main reason we didnt capitalise on our position last season was not having the strike force. He could/should have brought in a class striker with the carrot of CL football, but alas we where left with the combination of keane,defoe,crouch & pav... theres no point in blaming injuries and bad luck when your strike forc struggles to get 15 goals between them in the PL.
    Personally i think he should get the bullet.... because he's only got a year left before he'll be asked to replace Capello, so what motivation is that setting the players or any potential signings? 'do your best, but either way Im proberbly out of here come sept 2012 as the media are whoring me for the job since the last world cup'.
    Sorry its a bit of a rant, but my heart is in the right place :(

Do you want him replaced ?

No. Just for Harry to take accountability for the teams under-performance at home this season instead of calling our fans idiots.

That would be a positive step in my book.

No. Just for Harry to take accountability for the teams under-performance at home this season instead of calling our fans idiots.

That would be a positive step in my book.

I'd keep an eye on the sky if I were you, you might see some pigs flying...:D

There's a lot of truth in this article IMO:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/kop-hero-delivers-the-goods-that-harry-keeps-on-flogging-2647474.html
    Redknapp was not alone in predicting big things for Hodgson this season. The men who hailed Hodgson's appointment are now defending Redknapp after Tottenham's slump which has brought one win in 11 league games.

Harry sees the season as a success. There was the great night in Milan which, again, is something supporters of Norwich City would cherish, but Spurs and the billionaires who back them might want something more.

There has been progress. Spurs now wait until they are knocked out abjectly of the Champions League before entering their traditional slump.

Redknapp hasn't revolutionised Tottenham, he's just made them more of what they always were.

Some deep cuts in it, and Fanning is firmly ensconced in Dalglish's rectal passage, but there's more than a kernal of truth in what he says. Above all else the question should be why is it an Irish journalist writing in an Irish paper who is asking these questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There's a lot of truth in this article IMO:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/kop-hero-delivers-the-goods-that-harry-keeps-on-flogging-2647474.html

Some deep cuts in it, and Fanning is firmly ensconced in Dalglish's rectal passage, but there's more than a kernal of truth in what he says. Above all else the question should be why is it an Irish journalist writing in an Irish paper who is asking these questions?
    The just a couple of things since Harry's arrived we have always finished the season very very strongly this is the first time we haven't finished the season strongly, the other thing is our Billionaire backers? Your having a laugh :pac: there's feck all backing going on.

It's true Harry has done wonders for the club and this is our first real slump with him in charge so I have no problem giving him another season to put things right and have us beating them damn promoted teams but I am worried with the apparent lack of tactics that we use and I don't think we are physical enough when we have to be Charlie Adam tackles for instance should of been met by someone sticking a boot so far up his ass that he had to waddle off at the end of the game.

• Advertisement

Extract from Gallas interview, refreshing that he can admit to identifying the mistakes and working to stop them, instead of making excuses.

"Even if people say 'you had a great season', I don't think so"

"When we play against the small teams, maybe - I say maybe - we thought we had won before we played, so perhaps that's the mistake we made, we dropped too many points against Blackpool, Wolves and West Ham.

"If we play a big team, like Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal, we know they will be very hard to beat, so when we arrive in the dressing room we are ready for the fight.

"We made too many mistakes but now we know which mistakes we made, it will not be good if we make the same ones again, we need to have a good pre-season, to speak together and be ready when the season starts."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23948910-great-season-for-spurs-i-dont-think-so-says-william-gallas.do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fair play to him.

Fair play to him me ballix mate.
    I don't like him, you do, we will agree to disagree on that.
    I hate the way he harps on about the fans in such a negative manner, and this is not the first time. He talks about radio phone in's, he's never fcuking off the tv and radio. It sickens me when he is speaking to the media. Not once this season has a member of the media put it up to him, he's up all there arses that's why. He talks about expectations, was he not the one telling the world we could win the league back in December ?

The sooner he fcuks off to manage England the better.

Harry Redknapp's Blue and White Army :D
    Fair play to you Harry.
    Our first win at Anfield for 18 years.
    The oul dog for the long road, the puppy for the path!
    Maybe Harry's scouts were right about Suarez.
    He certainly spat the soother out today!
    Now we can buy players at non inflated January prices.
    The EL will be great to blood up fringe and youth players.
    Who really cares what a manager says to the media.
    We should get behind our manager and let him do the managing and us do the supporting!
    COYS

yidweiser wrote: »
    The EL will be great to blood up fringe and youth players.

Birmingham wont be that easy..

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Fair play to him me ballix mate.
    I don't like him, you do, we will agree to disagree on that.

Guess its best to just leave it there then.

He'll be gone someday and you'll be happy again.

Guess its best to just leave it there then.

He'll be gone someday and you'll be happy again.

Depends on who replaces him, im hard to please :D

Bring on Birmingham.
    We owe them a good thrashing for the late equaliser we let Gardner score.
    We should have won that game :mad:

Anyone hear his comments after todays game.
    Once again, he refers to the spurs people who call radio shows idiots. He also said that things at Spurs wont get any better than what they are now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i got to be honest after ancellotti just getting the bullet this evening and reading this morning that abramovich might plump for harry , i for one wouldnt be to sad to see harry go. How many teams have come to the lane this season and got 11 men behind the ball and harry hadnt a clue tactically what to do to break those teams down?

what do people on here think about above?

and here's a thought whats the betting right now danny levy is having a good think about letting harry go and getting Carlo in

BERBA wrote: »
    i got to be honest after ancellotti just getting the bullet this evening and reading this morning that abramovich might plump for harry , i for one wouldnt be to sad to see harry go. How many teams have come to the lane this season and got 11 men behind the ball and harry hadnt a clue tactically what to do to break those teams down?

what do people on here think about above?

and here's a thought whats the betting right now danny levy is having a good think about letting harry go and getting Carlo in
    There is a clause that stops Carlo managing another prem team for a year but I'd love a deal seeing Harry go one way and Carlo coming to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Chelsea (or anyone else) wont move for HR until the tax evasion issue is resolved.

Who's going to offer a job to someone who's going to possibly end up been banged up (unlikey) or with a criminal record (more likely) and a tonne of time in and out of court rooms (almost definetly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Anyone hear his comments after todays game.
    Once again, he refers to the spurs people who call radio shows idiots. He also said that things at Spurs wont get any better than what they are now :mad:

I saw that. Saying this is ad good as it gets was a crazy comment

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There is a clause that stops Carlo managing another prem team for a year

He was sacked though, right? (or was it simply that his contract was not renewed?) surely that'd nullify any such clause?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Mactard wrote: »
    He was sacked though, right? (or was it simply that his contract was not renewed?) surely that'd nullify any such clause?

I'd imagine its part of the payout clause if sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It’s been a merry go round at Spurs regarding managers, I must be one of the few who’d like Harry to stay. I think he’s done a great job at Tottenham and can only see us improving under him.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    It’s been a merry go round at Spurs regarding managers, I must be one of the few who’d like Harry to stay. I think he’s done a great job at Tottenham and can only see us improving under him.
    I think he deserves credit and I am happy to give him another season but I am concerned with the lack of tactics that we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

With regard to a clause win Ancelotti's contract, they are unenforceable in UK employment law and he is on record as saying he would like to stay in London.

Levy's end of season statement;
    We have spent years and hundreds of millions of pounds investing in our First Team squad and in creating a settled team. Having quality players means they automatically attract attention from other clubs - but I can assure you that we have no reason to sell, and every intention of retaining, our key players. We shall simply not entertain any approaches for these players.

We do, however, currently have one of the largest squads in the Premier League and, given the 25 man squad rule, it is no longer practical to retain players who are unlikely to qualify within that limit. We shall, therefore, look to reduce the number of these players during the coming summer transfer window in order to operate both effectively and efficiently.
    Suggests to me that he's going to make sure there is a clear out of sorts before releasing the cheque book, which is a good move imo, especially if Harry is still in charge.

The players he bangs on about would give me sleepless nights if i was Levy. In the last 6 months it's been Neville, Parker & Charlie Adam, before that we had Bellamy amongst others.
    Neville isn't as good as either of our first choice full backs & with Rose & Walker emerging as decent cover where would he fit in, midfield anchor, in place of who? THudd? Sandro? Luka??
    Parker would be a decent squad player but at £10m and £75k a week he isn't going to be on the bench and he is a very old and expensive squad member. We simply don't need him now that Sandro has emerged..
    Charlie Adam is possibly the most overrated player in the league, this seasons Sidwell, takes a great set piece but is basically a hacker.

To me this all reeks of geting some proven PL players for a decent wedge of cash then have a good last season before the england role, he leaves looking like the messiah, we are stuck with old players we can't get a lot of money back on and a huge wagebill - See Pompey & West Ham for further evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Harry was the one around xmas time who said Tottenham should be challenging for the title !!!

Now people who want him to make good on that wish are deluded and crazy cos last season is as good as it can get ! :eek:

I wish Arry would make up his mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

i think he deserves another season. At least see if has learned anything from this season. He has given us our two most successful premier league seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

mushykeogh wrote: »
    i think he deserves another season. At least see if has learned anything from this season. He has given us our two most successful premier league seasons.

he definietely deserves another season, why wouldnt he?

we have had two fantastic seasons and a lot of shocking ones before he came in. he may be lacking in tactics etc as other people have made out but he has also created a very good winning atmosphere, we have come back from losing positions many times this year and we have not had that at spurs in a long long time

Advertisement