Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lemon drizzle cake..texture?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I've made this twice but never eaten one aside from the ones I've made so have nothing to compare it to.
    Mine turns out like a sponge cake in texture and borderline soggy, I am guessing that adding the drizzle (lemon juice and icing sugar) into it gives it a wetter texture than a normal sponge but not such how wet it should be or it I should bake it a bit longer should it be light and slightly moist or lightish and soggy..?? It's nice either way though and because you turn it over the bottom (ie origionally the top that you pour the syrup over) has like a light crackling of lemony sugar..which is nice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Well that's my favourite cake my Mam makes, and it's a lemon Madeira loaf cake that is light-ish but she uses a caster sugar lemon juice drizzle pored into the skewer-pricked cake that leaves a crunchier topping that isn't soggy.
    I reckon it should be moist, but not damp? Try caster over icing sugar, might give a better result, ensure to pour it over the hot cake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks, I'll give the caster sugar a go next time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

yeah moist but not soggy, I decorate mine with lemon zest rubbed together with caster sugar, gives a nice zingy crunch to the topping. x

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I've made lemon drizzle cake several times in the past year and I can dig out the recipe if you would like to try it. I tend to hold back some of my lemon syrup that I allow soak into the cake before putting on the drizzle. Then I use my finger to press the cake to see just how moist it is before topping the cake up.
    I place it over a wire rack aswell so I can drain the excess syrup so it doesn't leave a soggy mass underneath and on the plate.

Here's a few pictures anyway :)

Le finger poking test

159591.JPG

159589.JPG

Off the wire rack

159588.JPG

Final drizzle :)

159590.JPG

159592.JPG

I made the same cake in an actual loaf tin and it wasn't anyway near as pretty so I think I'll stick with a square cake tin in future :)

Thanks for that Lornen those pics are so clear, will try all the tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Thanks for that Lornen those pics are so clear, will try all the tips.

No worries Sigma :)

I also get a pretty large knitting needle and poke holes all along the cake in even rows across and down so I have an even soaking...

Slightly unusual but it's yet to fail me :) tooth picks are too thin so a nice fat knitting needle does the trick for me! :D

Good idea, have been using a fork but the holes seemed to close up again.

Advertisement