Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Only Get 4mb?

• 14-05-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Im currently with utv broadband and im supose to be gettin like 7.6mb. but they have told me my line can only handle about 4mb. Im just wodering is there anything I could do to try get more speed from it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

rc1510 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im currently with utv broadband and im supose to be gettin like 7.6mb. but they have told me my line can only handle about 4mb. Im just wodering is there anything I could do to try get more speed from it?

Thanks

Doubtful, You are probably too far from the exchange, That's the problem with DSl.

Maybe in the future if the lines are upgrade, But seeing as that is eircom's job, Its highly unlucky the will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rc1510

Thanks for the reply.

aw noway is there nuthin I would be able to get done if I rang them or anything? or change phone line or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Thanks for the reply.

aw noway is there nuthin I would be able to get done if I rang them or anything? or change phone line or anything?

Nothing, Its all down to the distance from your exchange. There may be a way of getting faster speeds from a different ISP on your exchange, I'm sure someone here will know more about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

If you're having slow speeds there's three general possibilities.

The distance to the exchange is to far

There's a fault on the line

Something or someone is eating up your bandwidth

You need to check the last first.
    Connect a laptop/PC to the router/modem and turn off WiFi. Then restart the computer in safe mode with networking. That will turn off programs starting in the background like anti-virus, skype, media players but you'll still have the network connection. Do a speed test.

If you get a good speed you need to restart the Laptop/PC as normal. With the WiFi still off if the speed drops then there are lots of programs starting at start up that are using up the network. Also if you have more than one anti virus program running (not counting Windows Firewall) it really slows things down. Turn off every thing that could be using WiFi, like other computers or consoles. Turn the WiFi back on and disconnect the cable and connect using WiFi. If the speed drops now it's interference of some one stealing your bandwidth. Wireless phones and strangely microwaves are a problem.

Check eircom.net and have a look at the support section.

If it's not a problem in your house then the only way to find out if it's a distance problem or a line fault is to get an engineer to check the line. Your ISP has to arrange this, if you ring eircom yourself they can't even talk to you.

I'd ring the ISP a couple of times and then tell them you'll have to go back to eircom to get the line checked if they won't have it done. Also don't be fooled by them saying they checked the line... often it is a loose connection in the exchange but often it's the connection in your house and they need to come out to find out. They can't say it's a poor line / distance problem and not a line fault until they have checked all the way to the connector inside your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

coolpix23 wrote: »
    If you're having slow speeds there's three general possibilities.

The distance to the exchange is to far

There's a fault on the line

Something or someone is eating up your bandwidth

You need to check the last first.
    Connect a laptop/PC to the router/modem and turn off WiFi. Then restart the computer in safe mode with networking. That will turn off programs starting in the background like anti-virus, skype, media players but you'll still have the network connection. Do a speed test.

If you get a good speed you need to restart the Laptop/PC as normal. With the WiFi still off if the speed drops then there are lots of programs starting at start up that are using up the network. Also if you have more than one anti virus program running (not counting Windows Firewall) it really slows things down. Turn off every thing that could be using WiFi, like other computers or consoles. Turn the WiFi back on and disconnect the cable and connect using WiFi. If the speed drops now it's interference of some one stealing your bandwidth. Wireless phones and strangely microwaves are a problem.

Check eircom.net and have a look at the support section.

If it's not a problem in your house then the only way to find out if it's a distance problem or a line fault is to get an engineer to check the line. Your ISP has to arrange this, if you ring eircom yourself they can't even talk to you.

I'd ring the ISP a couple of times and then tell them you'll have to go back to eircom to get the line checked if they won't have it done. Also don't be fooled by them saying they checked the line... often it is a loose connection in the exchange but often it's the connection in your house and they need to come out to find out. They can't say it's a poor line / distance problem and not a line fault until they have checked all the way to the connector inside your house.

Its the Prequal database that ISPs use to gauge what packages are available on what lines. Those databases aren't affected by any "current" issues that could be happening with the line.
    From time to time, the Prequal databases can go out of date.... but to be honest, the only main reason they would change is down to exchange upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

OP, please post the DSL statistics from your modem! This is mentioned in one of the stickies.

DSL statistics would include line speed, and things called attenuation and signal margin among others.

Thanks for all the replys

is this what your lookin for?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 4096 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 54.7 db 31.0 db
    Noise Margin 6.0 db 25.0 db

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That line is too long it appears. 4 megs is the best the line will do unfortunately.

Aw ok thanks for your reply and help.

Hopefully eircom will do something soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Aw ok thanks for your reply and help.

Hopefully eircom will do something soon

like change the laws of physics?

The best you can hope for is that eircom finally roll out cabinetisation. (That's where they move the dsl equipment closer to your home).
    I wouldn't hold my breath though as they've only announced a trial of it in Dundrum/Priory Pk in Dublin.

Maybe some day in the far distant future they'll roll out fibre to the home

• Advertisement
Advertisement