Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to occupy my dog when out

• 14-05-2011 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Up until now my dog has usually come with me to work but right now it isn't an option for the next couple of months. I'll still be able to come home and walk him at lunch but is there anything else I can get to occupy him while I'm out? He's a pretty high energy jack russell and not used to being alone for more than an hour or two. I have a few toys like balls, teddy bears, chew rings etc that he loves. I also got him a kong recently but he seems to get whatever I put in that out pretty fast - any tips on what I could put in a kong that would last longer? I usually put peanut butter/fish paste or similar in.

We are planning on getting another dog when we move after the summer for company for him as I've always wanted to get a second dog but for now that isn't an option.

Any help from those of you that have to leave your dog at home alone during the day would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have a look at the Kong Wobbler, it's different to the usual kongs.
    If you fill it with the small dog kibble/biscuits for his breakfast it should keep him entertained. It keeps our chap entertained for longer than the traditional kong.

Stick Kong Wobbler into you YouTube and you can see a couple of videos of It in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Get some kongs and stuff them, then freeze overnight. On days I'm working I also feed morning feed in those treat balls they have to roll around to get food out.
    Oh and a really long walk at 6.30am does help mine sleep most of day away(on days I'm home early I have to wake them).
    Be prepared to spend most of your lunch walking and playing, and its really worth getting up that bit earlier to bring them out before work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Have a look at the Kong Wobbler, it's different to the usual kongs.
    If you fill it with the small dog kibble/biscuits for his breakfast it should keep him entertained. It keeps our chap entertained for longer than the traditional kong.

Stick Kong Wobbler into you YouTube and you can see a couple of videos of It in action.

lol That's going to drive him mental, the usual Kong annoys him as it is. Should entertain him for a while though. I'll definitely get it, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

I would not worry too much. He'll just sleep inbetween your hometimes, our spoilt brats do. Be prepared for 'extra hyper' when you come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Msking

Treat Ball, you can put their food as well as treats in it, keeps my dog going for ages

http://www.google.ie/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=709&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=treat+ball+for+dogs&oq=treat+ball&aq=1&aqi=g2g-m7&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=49865l51616l0l10l10l0l0l0l0l226l1161l5.3.2

You can get in petworld, about €8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Buster cube-its brilliant! http://www.bustercube.com/faq/faq.html
    It exercises the dog too and the dog actually has to teach itself how to use it. It makes a noise as it moves, which really motivates my dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

That sounds great - but it doesn't seem to be available in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Probably not a prob since you won't be there but I confiscated the Kong wobbler - the bloody noise of it whacking of the skirting boards and wooden floors! :D You can get buster cubes made out of "softer" material so they don't make so much noise. www.vetuk.co.uk sell the wobbler and cubes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

For basic entertainment I definitely second the frozen kong idea. It's like a whole other toy. My fella can empty a kong in 10 minutes. Freeze it and it keeps him occupied for closer to 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Frozen tea towels work a treat for us with our lab puppy whenever we go out. Just soak it under the tap and freeze, ours spends ages trying to chew it to death! Ps. also works great if you're trying to watch tv, keeps her quiet anyway! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement