Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subject choice for LC

• 14-05-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am choosing my subjects in a week. I want to do medicine when I leave school, the only problem is that I am brutal at french. Shoul I do pass french for the lc or shold i do a science after school and try and get into medicine that way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

You don't need French for every university but to keep your options open its always good to have a third language. It is acceptable at pass level though.

You will definitely need at least 1, if not 2 sciences for medicine. Why would you do a science outside of school? Does your school not do sciences along with French?

Can you give details?
    Different schools choose subjects in different ways, some schools do different numbers of subjects.

If it is just a case of doing pass French or doing a science subject outside school (although I assume there's more to it, as it seems a strange choice to have to make), I would do the science. To be honest, I've never seen how it's good for your study to be doing an extra subject outside school, plus it's important to have a language for entry requirements' sake, but a science subject or two is usually compulsory for medicine, so if it's one or the other, I would have to say do a science.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 linconpark

You don't need French for every university but to keep your options open its always good to have a third language. It is acceptable at pass level though.

You will definitely need at least 1, if not 2 sciences for medicine. Why would you do a science outside of school? Does your school not do sciences along with French?

sorry i wrote it down wrong. I mean i could do a science degree in university and try and get into medicine after i do the degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

linconpark wrote: »
    sorry i wrote it down wrong. I mean i could do a science degree in university and try and get into medicine after i do the degree

Oh, sorry, I misread it too. Tbh the easiest, cheapest and shortest option for medicine is to do it the LC/HPAT way. If you think its what you want to do, its probably better to aim for medicine straight after the LC, and then have the science route as a back up in case you don't get it?

Of course, if you're not entirely sure of what course you want to do, or if you're not 100% set on medicine, doing a science course is a good way to get a taster of certain modules and see what you're interested in.

I assume you're either in 3rd year or TY now? What are your subject choices? Doing a language and at least 1 science leaves your options open for a lot of courses.

If I were you I'd stay in higher French. You can always drop down after your 5th year Christmas/Summer exams, once you have a clearer picture of how you're doing. I was really terrible at French until 6th year, even spoke it in my Dublin accent, then I just got my head down, with the help of "Rapid Revision" French book, and I came out with a B2. I know that a B2 isn't really medicine material, but that's 80 points. An A1 in pass level will only be 60 points.

Like most things, if you put your head down, accept the fact that it's hard for you and you'll probably have to work harder than other people, you can do it.

I do science in TCD at the moment, and it's like 50-60% full of people who wanted medicine but are trying to do graduate entry medicine now after they get a science degree. Trust me, it's a lot of work to go through just to get into another degree, which is totally fine, but certainly try your best to get into medicine straight off the bat, and then use graduate entry medicine as your plan B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement