Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra Greystones

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Swanner wrote: »
    With regard to travelling for cheaper petrol / Diesel, it just requires a bit of forethought. I was travelling back from Inch yesterday. Tank was half full but I still stopped off at Rathnew to fill up.
    I don't disagree, but you still have to be passing them, or have knowledge of these petrol stations. I'd rarely be passing them without manufacturing a reason, which does kind of defeat the purpose.

Personally, I'm still not sure charging the going rate constitutes a rip off. Plenty of stations are more, and even then if they're a smaller one, they get charged more wholesale because they have smaller tanks rather than them being "rip off merchants".

Petrol way down the list of where consumers are being ripped off in this country by price matching, imho. 2/3's of the price of petrol is tax and excise, so if I was looking for a target it wouldn't be the actual petrol stations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

It Was 149.9 in Kilcoole Last week before i left the country most of the time i find it cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

www.pumps.ie has info on petrol prices in local petrol stations.

Info can be accessed on internet or via smartphone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

It often looks busy because parents park there for the CSSM summer camp and anything going on at St. Patricks NS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

jpd wrote: »
    www.pumps.ie has info on petrol prices in local petrol stations.

Info can be accessed on internet or via smartphone app.

Thats updated by the general public and wont always give a true price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Thats updated by the general public and wont always give a true price.

So is wikipedia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

sicruise wrote: »
    So is wikipedia :)
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    ?
    I think what sicruise means is that as it's possible for anyone to edit it, it's also possible for them to misrepresent the facts as illustrated here:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wikipedia-celebrates-750-years-of-american-indepen,2007/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I think what sicruise means is that as it's possible for anyone to edit it, it's also possible for them to misrepresent the facts as illustrated here:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wikipedia-celebrates-750-years-of-american-indepen,2007/

Ha ha classic.

But to be fair services like pumps.ie can be pretty reliable (as long as its updated frequently) unless some less than honest station owner feels like hijacking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just to clarify. The Onion is not a genuine news source. The entire thing is satirical. So many people have been caught out on that.

Just thought I'd say in case anyone else has a look around that site after the link and get some shocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

*bump*

both stations currently charging 152.9 for unleaded.

on my travels over the last few days I've seen the following prices:

Newcastle: 147.9
    Kilcoole & Newtown: 148.9
    N11 Cabinteely: 149.9
    Most of the rest of sth dublin: 150.9

I think Greystones is probably the most expensive place on the East coast to buy petrol - why though?

loyatemu wrote: »
    *bump*

I think Greystones is probably the most expensive place on the East coast to buy petrol - why though?

Kilmacanogue is a dear hole for the petrol, think it was 153.9/154.9 depending on what side of the road you are today.....why? I dont know but id be keen to hear some reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 William of Ockham

Try Kilpedder! I buy diesel there and it is consistently cheaper than any of the other stations around.

loyatemu wrote: »
    *bump*

Because people in Greystones seem happy to fund expensive petrol stations.
    I tend to get it elsewhere as its cheaper. I got a full tank out in Tallaght last week @ 147.8
    Kilmacanogue is a dear hole for the petrol, think it was 153.9/154.9 depending on what side of the road you are today.....why? I dont know but id be keen to hear some reasons!

Those two stations always seem to have queues from them. The demand there seems to be through the roof for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Those two stations always seem to have queues from them. The demand there seems to be through the roof for some reason.

I presume it is down to the fact that they are both on the main road and if you are unaware of other stations nearby you pull in for neccessity. Also, it might be convenient for people that don't want to go off the main road.

Last "on line" petrol stations for a long time in both directions - south bound the next one on the road is the far side of the gorey bybass, and north bound it's the last one before the M50. I suspect they get clogged up with non-petrol purchases as well. Northbound in the morning the whole slip is fecked up by people parking on the double yellows because they can't do without their coffee.

People pay for convenience, lots of people are under time pressure so that savings for detouring for a few cent a litre isn't worth the hassle. Everyone has to make their own judgement call on that.

Macy0161 wrote: »

People pay for convenience, lots of people are under time pressure so that savings for detouring for a few cent a litre isn't worth the hassle. Everyone has to make their own judgement call on that.

I disagree with the highlighted part.

I never get petrol in Greystones because of price. I also don't go out of my way to get cheap petrol. I pass many cheaper petrol stations on my trip from A to B on a daily basis, so detouring is not an issue.

I disagree with the highlighted part.

I never get petrol in Greystones because of price. I also don't go out of my way to get cheap petrol. I pass many cheaper petrol stations on my trip from A to B on a daily basis, so detouring is not an issue.
    But that was my point - you're not detouring, your passing cheaper stations so buy petrol elsewhere (as I do myself). However, that's not the case for everyone - each to their own.

Because people in Greystones seem happy to fund expensive petrol stations.
    I tend to get it elsewhere as its cheaper. I got a full tank out in Tallaght last week @ 147.8

Could it be becaue its the last petrol for people traveling far north on the M50.

Advertisement