Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer freezes

• 14-05-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been having an issue with my PC.
    The pc has being freezing. When PC is left on for a few hours the screen will freeze. Ctrl- alt -D will not work. Wireless mouse will not work. Keyboard will not work. The only way to get pc working is to hold power button (force restart):mad::mad::mad:

When pc reloads it takes forever to load up main screen (wallpaper will load) if i click ctrl alt del it tends to speed things up.

Thinking that the issue was with the OS. I formatted the HD and freshly installed XP...this failed:confused:

I also used a new Mouse (fresh from box) again this failed..:confused:

The issue still persists.
    when i run media player in background pc will not freeze:D

I know the pc is quiet old , but i would like to fix issue as it is only used for browsing internet (not much of a workhorse).

Talking to some friends they suggested buying a 2nd hand motherboard....

Do any of you's have any ideas on what i can do to resolve issue

computer details attached
    computer details.GIF

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

The fact that media player running stops it from happening is strange. I would think it unlikely to be a motherboard issue from what you've described.

Look at the event log (control panel->administrative tools->event viewer) and see if there are any errors showing up at the time of freezing.

When it freezes, are there any error messages? Does the computer sound likel it's very busy (is the hard drive light flashing?) or does it sound like it's doing nothing?

From the media player comment, I can only guess that it might have something to do with power management settings, as media players running will prevent screensavers, standby, etc. Try going to display properties (right click on desktop, click 'properties') and go to the screensaver tab. Turn off the screensaver. Click on the power options button on the same tab and go through all the options, adjusting everything to 'never' turn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Good thread! My PC freezes on a daily basis. Am looking forward to all the replies, and looking into what Razzuh suggested. Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Try setting the pc to never sleep or tur off the display in the power management options in control panel.

If that fails.

Get the hover out* Open up the pc and clean all the dust and crap out. It may be high temps causing the problem.

Voltages? If its a custom built pc. Check the ram timmings and voltages in the bios.

But I'd say it might be driver problem when the pc becomes inactive and sleeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Might be the Hard-disk on its way out, try this:

Click Start,
    Select Run,
    Enter cmd and press enter
    In the DOS Window type: chkdsk /f /r
    Press Enter
    It will probably ask you if you want to schedule scan on next reboot, Press Y and reboot, let full scan take place. This may take some time.

To get the results:

How to get to Event Viewer:

In Windows XP there are four ways to get to event viewer

Click Start,
    Select Control Panel,
    Select Administrative Tools
    Select Event Viewer

Getting CHKDSK Results:

Once Event Viewer is open,
    Select Application
    The 4th column of information in the right-hand pane is titled Source , click on the word Source at the top of the column to sort by that column
    Scroll through the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon
    Double-click Winlogon to open the CHKDSK results.

Advertisement