Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Walsh Cycles, Galway Review

• 14-05-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

A family run business by two brothers called Frank and Tony. The business was started by their grandfather way back when.

The first time I went in, I had a puncture and wanted a new tube. At five euro, it was the cheapest in Galway I have purchased. It was Frank I was dealing with that day and he put the tube in my bike in an instant at no extra cost.

They are very patient and will answer any queries promptly about any of their stock. They are very customer focused, very friendly and never ever put any pressure on you to buy. They have catalogues and can order you in anything you may like that they don't have in stock.

They will make sure you leave the shop with a bike that is a good fit and it seems satisfying their customers is as important as running their business. When I first went in I was looking at a 21 inch hybrid and was straight away told it was a bad fit and I would be more comfortable on a 23 inch - which they wouldn't be able to get for several weeks. This, I might add is in stark contrast to other shops in Galway, one which previously convinced me to buy a 19inch which left me half crippled - others also tried to sell me ridiculously bad fitting bikes, more interested in making the sale than making sure I was happy as a customer. Call me naive but is it too much to expect to be able to rely on the expertise of a salesman when looking to buy what you want/need? Especially since it is you the customer that are keeping these people in jobs/business?

Anyway, great guys and pure characters. I recommend these chaps to anyone looking for a bike but not sure what size or type of bike they want.

Keep it up guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Shame they never moved with the times and it is now a dated bike shop catering the low end market.

Many years ago they were the only shop (I think) in Galway where you could buy decent parts and frames, I remember getting a frame and some parts there to build my first proper racer. They used to stock all kind of goodies back then including Carbon Racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

Shame they never moved with the times and it is now a dated bike shop catering the low end market.

Many years ago they were the only shop (I think) in Galway where you could buy decent parts and frames, I remember getting a frame and some parts there to build my first proper racer. They used to stock all kind of goodies back then including Carbon Racers.

I wouldn't say they are catering for the "low end market" really. They can get you any bike you want, typically within a couple of days, that are in their catalogues and one I spotted has a price tag of 12,000 euro. And the bike I bought there certainly wasn't low end. It was actually one of the highest spec hybrids you can get.

It is true though that they stock some of the more commonly sold bikes but that's true of a lot of the shops.

I find most shops I went into, in spite of being much bigger, would have had to order in the bike I wanted due to being out of stock or not having my size.

Yes, some of the other shops are more modern looking in their layout and interior and the lads shop isn't perhaps as modern as it should be, but their service is unparalled in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

A 13 year old me bought a cheapo giant mountain bike there 7 or so years ago (which I still have) and although I seem to remember they guy in there advised against buying a racing bike when I broached the idea I was happy enough with the service and the price.

A few years later had a problem with my road bike (bought elsewhere) so asked my mam to drop it in to them next time she was in town. She brought it in and asked the guy in there how long it would take, he just pointed at the sticker on the frame from the other shop and basically fucks her out of it for supposedly expecting them to jump to attention to service a bike that wasn't even bought there.

It's fair enough to give preference to loyal customers but that doesn't mean you have to be rude to everyone else especially since it was very clear that it wasn't even my mam's bike. I haven't been in there since and haven't encouraged anyone I know to darken their door either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

It seems tales of less than wonderful bike shop service surface every now and then.

My brother-in-law part-owns and works in several skiing/skater/snowboarding shops in Germany. He told me about dealing with some young lad who came to him with a problem he was having with a snowboard he'd bought somewhwere else. They took in the board, sorted the problem and the lad was happy.

"How much did you charge him?" I asked.
    -Nothing, it was a small job really.
    -But he didn't even buy it from you.
    -I know, but he is more likely to come in to the shop the next time he wants something. Even if he doesn't, some of the people he tells about his good experience might. I see it as advertising.......

Hmmm, can this ever happen here??

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Some hope of that happening in Belfast. Everything has a price tag even if you are buying a bike. I know a buy round the corner who spent several thousand on a bike and was charged for fitting the bottle cage. I on the other hand had my bull bars on my flat bar fitted free in the same shop several years earlier. The boom in cycling and the cycle to work scheme seem to have made some places complacent :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It seems tales of less than wonderful bike shop service surface every now and then.

My brother-in-law part-owns and works in several skiing/skater/snowboarding shops in Germany. He told me about dealing with some young lad who came to him with a problem he was having with a snowboard he'd bought somewhwere else. They took in the board, sorted the problem and the lad was happy.

"How much did you charge him?" I asked.
    -Nothing, it was a small job really.
    -But he didn't even buy it from you.
    -I know, but he is more likely to come in to the shop the next time he wants something. Even if he doesn't, some of the people he tells about his good experience might. I see it as advertising.......

Hmmm, can this ever happen here??

Ya, they will service any bike!!! I mean, I can't see any business not servicing a bike just because it wasn't bought there, that just doesn't make sense what the other poster said about them not servicing his road bike.

What shops would you guys recommend?

Anyway, I've tried the rest and am sticking to these guys....... I'm sure there's not a shop in the world that someone hasn't had a bad experience in.

ktz84 wrote: »
    Some hope of that happening in Belfast. Everything has a price tag even if you are buying a bike. I know a buy round the corner who spent several thousand on a bike and was charged for fitting the bottle cage. I on the other hand had my bull bars on my flat bar fitted free in the same shop several years earlier. The boom in cycling and the cycle to work scheme seem to have made some places complacent :rolleyes:

Jay, that is pure mean. For the sake of two screws?? :confused::eek:

A 13 year old me bought a cheapo giant mountain bike there 7 or so years ago (which I still have) and although I seem to remember they guy in there advised against buying a racing bike when I broached the idea I was happy enough with the service and the price.

A few years later had a problem with my road bike (bought elsewhere) so asked my mam to drop it in to them next time she was in town. She brought it in and asked the guy in there how long it would take, he just pointed at the sticker on the frame from the other shop and basically fucks her out of it for supposedly expecting them to jump to attention to service a bike that wasn't even bought there.

It's fair enough to give preference to loyal customers but that doesn't mean you have to be rude to everyone else especially since it was very clear that it wasn't even my mam's bike. I haven't been in there since and haven't encouraged anyone I know to darken their door either.

Well, my experiences with them were positive before I gave them a penny and had a bike I hadn't bought there. Maybe he was having a bad day when he said that to your mum or maybe it was someone filling in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Ya, they will service any bike!!! I mean, I can't see any business not servicing a bike just because it wasn't bought there, that just doesn't make sense what the other poster said about them not servicing his road bike.

They didn't actually refuse to service the bike (although she ended up taking it elsewhere), just refused to answer the question of roughly how long it would take and got angry when asked which imo is very unproffessional.

I haven't heard anything bad about Kearney's yet although I haven't used them myself. Nigel's have always treated me well although they sold my friend a wheel that lost all tension after a week (it was only a cheapo hybrid wheel so maybe a case of you get what you pay for) and charged him to fix it which he thought was a bit much.

Presently my bike shop of choice is O'Neils in Tuam. I bought my latest road bike there and have bought a lot of bits and pieces there over the years and had a good bit of work done there and they've always been helpful and genuine. At least a half dozen of my friend's have bought bikes there and similarly they've had no issues.

They didn't actually refuse to service the bike (although she ended up taking it elsewhere), just refused to answer the question of roughly how long it would take and got angry when asked which imo is very unproffessional.

I haven't heard anything bad about Kearney's yet although I haven't used them myself. Nigel's have always treated me well although they sold my friend a wheel that lost all tension after a week (it was only a cheapo hybrid wheel so maybe a case of you get what you pay for) and charged him to fix it which he thought was a bit much.

Presently my bike shop of choice is O'Neils in Tuam. I bought my latest road bike there and have bought a lot of bits and pieces there over the years and had a good bit of work done there and they've always been helpful and genuine. At least a half dozen of my friend's have bought bikes there and similarly they've had no issues.

Wouldn't like that myself.

Went to buy a racing bike in Kearney's and was doubtful about size. One of the lads there, think he was Polish, advised I get the 60cm as he said the 58cm would leave me with sore neck and back. As it turned out, they didn't have the 60cm and the main guy assured me that the 58cm was perfect.

Ended up with a very sore neck and back in no time. Even after weeks of rest - one 2 mile cycle into town - neck was killing me again. Got shot of bike and vowed never to go back there again after having spent about 1300 on the bike and accessories.

Went into Nigel's a couple of times with money in my pocket and ready to buy and couldn't seem to even get anyone to talk to me - the guy on duty seemed more interested in chatting to some friend of his even though I was standing there for ages.

Anyhow, seems everyone has good and bad experiences in shops. I suppose you just need to find what suits and stick with it if you're happy with it.

• Advertisement

hang on, your friends wheel was broke in a week and they charged for fixing it? That is really lousy. Haha, had no idea this thread would get so many views, just wanted to report on something positive instead of bitching all the time. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I went in there looking at road bikes whilst thinking of changing approx 8 - 10 years ago - and the guy in there advised against buying a road bike - "they're on the way out" - "Mountain bikes are by far more popular now"....

Turned on my heel and back I never went.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I went in there looking at road bikes whilst thinking of changing approx 8 - 10 years ago - and the guy in there advised against buying a road bike - "they're on the way out" - "Mountain bikes are by far more popular now"....

Turned on my heel and back I never went.

lol. I think it's hybrids that are far more popular now. Ah well, just the guys opinion I guess. Pity he did himself out of a sale though, cos they really are nice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I got my first bike in Walshs. A Raliegh Strika (like a junior Grifter) and i've gotten several bikes and bits and bobs off them since. Always found them helpful, reasonable money wise and/but very old school.

One of my neighbours who has been cycling to work(12 mile roundtrip) everyday for the past 40 odd years and is now in his seventies, always gets his bike serviced down there and it's been pretty much the same bike the whole time, parts changed when they individually gave up ther ghost from time to time.. The frame snapped last year and he went down them, they had a look and said "oh this frame comes with a lifetime garauntee" They phoned up Raliegh in Nottingham, made the claim and organised the new frame to be sent, moved all the old parts to the new frame and sent him on his way without charge. At no point did they try to flog him a new bike. Respect.
    Went to buy a racing bike in Kearney's and was doubtful about size. One of the lads there, think he was Polish, advised I get the 60cm as he said the 58cm would leave me with sore neck and back. As it turned out, they didn't have the 60cm and the main guy assured me that the 58cm was perfect.
    Went into Nigel's a couple of times with money in my pocket and ready to buy and couldn't seem to even get anyone to talk to me - the guy on duty seemed more interested in chatting to some friend of his even though I was standing there for ages.
    This happens in Nigels. It's happened me and a few others on a few occasions. On the plus side however, once you do get their attention, it's undivided until you leave, with or without buying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Do they still do repairs and servicing/tuning? Went in about 2 months ago and they said they just sold bikes.
    Was a big a disapointment because I found out via trial and error that they where the best bike shop in Galway for that.

Do they still do repairs and servicing/tuning? Went in about 2 months ago and they said they just sold bikes.
    Was a big a disapointment because I found out via trial and error that they where the best bike shop in Galway for that.

They do ya, I saw people dropping their bikes in for a service when I was in there. Lol, maybe they were having a lazy day.

McTigs wrote: »
    I got my first bike in Walshs. A Raliegh Strika (like a junior Grifter) and i've gotten several bikes and bits and bobs off them since. Always found them helpful, reasonable money wise and/but very old school.

They sure are old school, put me off buying there a bit at first but popped in one day after getting peed off with most the other places in town and was very happy comparitively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They do ya, I saw people dropping their bikes in for a service when I was in there. Lol, maybe they were having a lazy day.

Thanks. I ended up spending €140 on service and parts for two bikes in a different shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Botched_Job

They don't do servicing on racing bikes however.

Advertisement