Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle suppressor/silencer legality

Options
  • 14-05-2011 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Are rifle suppressors and silencers legal to own in Ireland? Must they be registered if legal?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Reindeer wrote: »
    Are rifle suppressors and silencers legal to own in Ireland? Must they be registered if legal?

Cheers

Yes Legal, if you want to use one you need to apply for one on your FCA1 and will either receive Permission a letter or a "s" on the bottom left of your Licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Thank you for such a rapid response. The next question is can I bring one back with me from the States, or must I apply for the mere possession of it beforehand?

Edited to add: Can one have a suppressor/moderator in ones possession even if one does not posses a firearm is my question, I guess.

Thank you for such a rapid response. The next question is can I bring one back with me from the States, or must I apply for the mere possession of it beforehand?

You would get in a whole heap of Dog Do bring one home without an Import Licence.

Classed as a firearm component here.
    Only a RFD or a licence holder can hold one here.

You would get in a whole heap of Dog Do bring one home without an Import Licence.

Only a RFD or a licence holder can hold one here.

OK, thanks. Yeah, I've got an SAS LLC American made 30 cal suppressor in my possession. I am wondering if there were a way to keep it and return to Ireland. Be sad to leave her.

OK, thanks. Yeah, I've got an SAS LLC American made 30 cal suppressor in my possession. I am wondering if there were a way to keep it and return to Ireland. Be sad to leave her.

Get Us Dealer to export to RFD here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said they are completely legal, but under Irish law are classed as a firearm in themselves so need authorisation. However ....................
    ........... and will either receive a permission letter ................

........... the letter of permission/authorisation that is issued actually stands "void".
    ........or an "S" on the bottom left of your Licence .

This "S" on the bottom left corner of the license is the actual ONLY proper authorisation for someone to hold, own, possess a moderator/suppressor. If the "S" is not on your license then there is no record of your authorisation on the Garda record system (PULSE). While not illegal to have a moderator with a letter, it is best advised that if you have the letter and not the "S" to get to your station and have the license re-issued with it.
    Reindeer wrote:
    T........ can I bring one back with me from the States, or must I apply for the mere possession of it beforehand?

You must have the license for it before you may own, possess one. Also as it is clased as a firearm you must import it using all the necessary documentation as if it were an actual firearm. This includes import documents from the DOJ, export from the U.S., article 7 from your Superintendant (possibly), license for the moderator, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Must it be sent out from a dealer here? Could I not simply send it on to an rfd myself from the States? I doubt I would ever use it, tho. I may just end up selling her. She's a nice one, too. I also have a Versa Pod bi pod I may bring as well. I've no permits in Ireland, been living stateside mostly.

Ah OK, Cheers. This clears it up well. I guess the poor thing will simply have to remain in the States.
    Ezridax wrote: »
    As said they are completely legal, but under Irish law are classed as a firearm in themselves so need authorisation. However ....................

........... the letter of permission/authorisation that is issued actually stands "void".

This "S" on the bottom left corner of the license is the actual ONLY proper authorisation for someone to hold, own, possess a moderator/suppressor. If the "S" is not on your license then there is no record of your authorisation on the Garda record system (PULSE). While not illegal to have a moderator with a letter, it is best advised that if you have the letter and not the "S" to get to your station and have the license re-issued with it.

You must have the license for it before you may own, possess one. Also as it is clased as a firearm you must import it using all the necessary documentation as if it were an actual firearm. This includes import documents from the DOJ, export from the U.S., article 7 from your Superintendant (possibly), license for the moderator, etc.

Ah OK, Cheers. This clears it up well. I guess the poor thing will simply have to remain in the States.

If you know a Dealer in the US and a dealer here get him to ship here.

When you are here you apply for permit to use said Moderator

That is my thinking, the way to keep all parties happy with least amount of fuss, if it is only a cheap ass Moderator rusted et al I would not bother, but a top of the line Mod that you love, then maybe so!

You need dealers both sides for it to work smoothly.

Thanks, bud. Well, it seems more work than I was anticipating. I was consiering selling it on here before I thought it may be legal in Ireland. I've never shot in Ireland, but i have decades of hunting and bench rest shooting experience in the States. If needs be, the moderator can be replaced if I ever decide to take it up in Ireland - but as you know, it is not a cheap sport as compared to the US.

Oh, here's a gallery of most of the firearms and machienguns I have used or owned whilst here:

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/firearms

If you know a Dealer in the US and a dealer here get him to ship here.

When you are here you apply for permit to use said Moderator

That is my thinking, the way to keep all parties happy with least amount of fuss, if it is only a cheap ass Moderator rusted et al I would not bother, but a top of the line Mod that you love, then maybe so!

You need dealers both sides for it to work smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Classed as a firearm here.

Sparks wrote: »
    Classed as a firearm here.

Be that as it may, a RFD could import simply, but if it is not worth it then...........

My point was Valid, get US Dealer to ship to Irish dealer, then apply for permit here.

Easiest and Simplest way.

If it's worth frig all, sell state side

.........., then apply for permit here.

Not much point having one without a firearm.
    Edited to add: Can one have a suppressor/moderator in ones possession even if one does not posses a firearm is my question, I guess.

As said above there is not much point in having a mod if you have no firearm. That aside if you wish to get a firearm and keep the mod until you get it then i understand why.

On that point. To get a moderator you need to show "good reason". This is a new condition for applying for a firearms cert here. As a mod is classed as a firearm you must also show "good reason" for wanting/needing one. Saying you have no firearm to put it on would definitely sink your chances before you start.

There may be an alternative. If you had a firearms dealer here that you know would store it for you or someone with the "S"/authorisation on their license for a mod then you could have it sent to them and they could hold the mod for you until you get sorted on the gun front.

The first option of storing it would be legal and should cause little to no problems.

The second option of having a friend license it should also be legal. As in i cannot think of a reason why you could not do this. Best to check before doing it though.

The third option of exporting and importing the mod with a view to licensing it yourself, with no firearm of your own, would most likely/definitely be a non runner.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Not much point having one without a firearm.

As said above there is not much point in having a mod if you have no firearm. That aside if you wish to get a firearm and keep the mod until you get it then i understand why.

On that point. To get a moderator you need to show "good reason". This is a new condition for applying for a firearms cert here. As a mod is classed as a firearm you must also show "good reason" for wanting/needing one. Saying you have no firearm to put it on would definitely sink your chances before you start.

There may be an alternative. If you had a firearms dealer here that you know would store it for you or someone with the "S"/authorisation on their license for a mod then you could have it sent to them and they could hold the mod for you until you get sorted on the gun front.

The first option of storing it would be legal and should cause little to no problems.

The second option of having a friend license it should also be legal. As in i cannot think of a reason why you could not do this. Best to check before doing it though.

The third option of exporting and importing the mod with a view to licensing it yourself, with no firearm of your own, would most likely/definitely be a non runner.

Do you need to apply again for a surpressor?Do you need the same form as you use for applying for a firearm?or is there another seperate form to fill out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Do you need to apply again for a surpressor?Do you need the same form as you use for applying for a firearm?or is there another seperate form to fill out?

Thanks

Same form just tick a box and supply a letter stating the reason for which you need to have a moderator

Thanks

Tick Box for suppressor on FCA1 and supply cover letter stating why you need a suppressor

Don't forget lads, that as its classed as a firearm if you do not apply for a mod when you are applying for a firearm and apply later it will cost another €80 for the mod. Technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭steyrprohunter

I applied for a mod for my deer rifle 2 years ago and got turned down but reapplied this year and got the authorisation on letter form from superintendant. To have this glorious "S" on the license now would cost me a further €80 as quoted by the local cop. The letter will do me just fine until renewal time as its just as legal and recognised by the cops here.

The letter will do me just fine until renewal time as its just as legal and recognised by the cops here.

There is the problem. While it is an authorisation it is not "technically" legal. The idea behind ticking the mod box on the FCA1 was to have all details relevant to you and the rifle (including the mod) on the license. So an member of the Gardai can see you are authorised.

As said before if you have the letter and not the "S", and a Garda checked PULSE you would not be on it as having permission for a mod. The letter is a local authorisation with no record other than at a local station level.
    To have this glorious "S" on the license now would cost me a further €80 as quoted by the local cop.

There is the thing. You have been granted permission to have the mod by the Super as per the letter. You could simply request a re-issuing of the license with the "S" on it. If they say it will cost a further €80 you can srgue that the permission was granted, but never stated on the first license. If they say they cannot issue the license with the "S" you show the letter to prove you have permission.

This is not my say so. it is the word of those in authority and this letter crap is the old method and the issuing of these letters contravenes the reasoning behind having the "S" on the new licenses.

Don't forget lads, that as its classed as a firearm if you do not apply for a mod when you are applying for a firearm and apply later it will cost another €80 for the mod. Technically.

Or Free if your FO is sound ;)

• Advertisement

Best to be prepared to pay for. Because one person does not have to pay for it does not mean everyone will get away woth it.

Best to be prepared to pay for. Because one person does not have to pay for it does not mean everyone will get away woth it.

Doctors differ and patients die.

I got one for FOC and I know of several others in different Duro's that got same.

I have heard on here that others had to pay for retro amendments to Firearms Certs.

All I can speak of is my experience.
    I know that De110 has a cover letter where I have an "s" on my actual permit so I get the point exactly.

individual experience is individual. The law is the law and it says you must pay. So even if you get everything for free it does make it the norm.

Be prepared for the worst, and anything better is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

Hypothetically speaking... If you had applied for one with your application but did not get that 'S' are you in breech of the Act if you own one. I thought the Act states that if you were refused permission to have one the Supt. must give inform your via a letter of the reasons he/she has denied your application.

Thats my interpretation of the Act anyway, but of course I've been known to be wrong :-)

everypenny wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking... If you had applied for one with your application but did not get that 'S' are you in breech of the Act if you own one.

Yes. Even the letter of permission would act as a "stop gap", but if you have neither then you would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm, technically.
    I thought the Act states that if you were refused permission to have one the Supt. must give inform your via a letter of the reasons he/she has denied your application.

Thats my interpretation of the Act anyway, but of course I've been known to be wrong :-)

You should have received something to state the reasons you were refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

You should have received something to state the reasons you were refused.

So if you didn't? Or could this hypothetical situation leave room for legal manouever if John Garda came knocking?

There is something about if you have not received permission within the 3 month processing period that your application stands refused and no notification will be forth coming/due.

It does not mean that you can keep it because you were not given a refusal. In fact you should not have it in your posession without first having a license for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

@Reindeer
    Sorry to pee on the parade here!But your chances of exporting a silencer from the USA as a corporation or individual are virtually NONE!!:(:(:(:(.

It's one of the prohibited to export items that falls again under the ITARS regulations,along with full auto stuff ,short barrelled shotguns and a host of other items,even empty ammo boxes!!.The fact that you might be able to own and posses it here no bother
    will cut no ice with the US state Dept and God alone who else.
    For the kind of bother this can create,I suggest you google Guy Savage of Sabre defence fame ,and the Federal charges he is currently facing.Some of the charges relate to silencers.To wit importing into the US Finnish Viame silencers to have them marked "made in the USA",to export them again to a country[Iraq] that is currently involved in US intrests.
    This is a company that has BTW a US dept of Defence and Miltary contract supply number to supply M16s to the Us armed forces.
    Stupid move and naughty as well,but has done before when it has been in "US intrests!":rolleyes:
    If they jump hard on a corporation like that.What sort of chances will you have as John Public??
    Maybe there is a way.But knowing how anal they can be about Class 3 items in any shape or form..Like to be proven wrong on this but I'd say snowballs chances in Hell are about the equivlent.:(.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

@ Reindeer....

Grizzly got there before me, AFAIK Suppressors are prohibited from export both out and definatly into ( I know this because Brugger & thomet suppressors are made under licence in the US and not imported)

Try Knesek guns, they will provide you all the answers relating to legality/cost as they are international exporters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement