Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nape; Surface bar or dermals?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

So I'm in the mood for a new piercing and I've had my eye on the nape for some time.

What I'm wondering is, how high is the risk of migration from getting a traditional nape piercing? All my piercings have healed perfectly and I've never had a migration even when I had my bridge and eyebrow piercings, but something about that bar has me worried..

Would I be better to get two dermal anchors placed in the position? Is there any downfalls to those? Or would I be safe enough going with the standard bar?

I'll probably go in to see Steve in Snakebite beforehand anyway but any advice from here would be great.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CoinOperated

Snakebite Steve pierced my nape with a surface bar a month ago. Beforehand I had the exact same worries and questions so I grilled him for ages.
    In terms of migration (with a surface bar anyway), if it's pierced properly and well cared for after without too much abuse from clothing or fingers etc you should be fairly safe from migration. Basically, the staple-shaped bar allows the bar to exit the skin at 90 degrees leaving as little pressure as possible on the layers of skin so it greatly improves your chances of keeping the piercing. Flat or curved bars put too much pressure on the skin and so promote rejection.
    As for the dermal anchors, I asked about these too but Steve warned that, as they are supposed to be permanent, if I ever had to be rushed into hospital for any reason it's likely that they'd cut out rather than cleanly removed the way a bar can be. Obviously I know that's a huge outside chance and I know that he does put them in for people so it's not like he told me no, I just chose the bar after hearing that. I didn't question further so I don't know about the migration risks with these. And personally, I love the feeling of the bar under my skin (and gently touching the bar under unbroken skin keeps my fingers away from where they might cause more harm at the exit points!). A month down and no issues thus far, I love it, and loved getting it done, Steve is a piercing god!;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My napes been done for almost 6 years now and Ive never had a problem.It was done with one of those surface bars shaped like a staple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I've microdermals and surface bars in my nape. The microdermals rejected and the surface bars healed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll be going with the surface bar!

Advertisement