Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headsetache - Mechanical advice needed.

• 14-05-2011 10:48pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I went to replace the headset on my lidl road bike as it got some hardship. I ordered what I thought was the correct headset but it clearly isn't so before I go ordering multiple headsets I thought I'd ask here first. It's a 1 1/8 fork and the width of the headtube I measure is 43mm(ish) so I'm assuming 44mm. This is the headset I'm thinking of, so I'm wondering if this is the one? Another one I'm thinking about but I'm unsure of is this one. Any help greatly appreciated, I need it quickly.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭techieelectric

What was wrong with the last headset? I'm not quite sure what the deal is with campag specific headtubes that the ritchey is apparently compatible with, but it's still 44mm. So I'd go with that. The nuke proof has an external bottom cup which, from looking at the stratos road bike picture on bikeradar your bike doesn't have, right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Right. So basically in your opinion, I should ignore that it's campag compatible and go for it? Thanks for the feedback btw. The last one went out got very wet, wasn't greased for a while and when I opened it I really didn't like what I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Campag headsets have a 45degree contact surface on both bearings, whereas iso headsets are 45 deg on one bearing and 36 deg on the other. As far as i know the nuke proof one is for MTBs not sure if this will affect how it will work, but might be worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Both of the headsets you linked are semi integrated,i wouldve thought your bike has an integrated headset where the bearings just sit into the frame with no push in cups what so ever,but I may be wrong its a while since I worked on a stratos!the whole 45/36 degree thing as far as I can work out(but it does seem to be complicated)doesnt matter if you replace the whole headset as its the internal degree that is different not the outer,the outers all seem to be 45 and the inners seem to vary from 45 to 36 but if the races are replaced too it shouldnt matter at all!does that make sense?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's semi integrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Oh ok,then any bog standard semi integrated 11/8" headset should fit!

Advertisement