Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox noob looking for help

• 14-05-2011 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I've wanted to get an xbox for a good while now and the recent s##t going on at sony has pushed me over the edge. If and when I get the money together I intend to buy the new xbox slim and a bunch of games. So I have a few questions!
    1. Should I buy one now or is it too late in its life cycle?
    2. What games should I get? (I like racers and shooters)
    3. What accessories do I need?

Thanks

Edit: I already have a ps3 and as such most new games so its exclusives that I'd be buying for the xbox and for me online gaming is where its at.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

1. Nope, there was rumours about a new one in development but they turned out to be false.

2. Not too big on racers meself. But shooter wise you can still get the CoD series on the xbox (I don't play them myself), but FEAR 2, Orange Box (Half Life 2, Team Fortress, Portal), Borderlands, Battlefield. They're all there and really good.

3. If you get the new slim models (they come in 4GB and 250GB Hard Drive sizes) you won't need any wireless adapter add on to connect to the net (xbox live). Although you will need to pay (around about 50) for a years Live Gold membership which will allow you to play your games online. This is the biggest difference between the ps3 and the 360 (as far as online gaming is concerned).

Regarding accessories it's pretty much up to you. A headset would come in handy if you want to play online. You can get a keyboard which attaches to the bottom of the joypad if you message people a lot.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the mo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

thanks ok so does the headset plug into the xbox? and is it included when you buy it? I'm lookin at getting the 250gb model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

thanks ok so does the headset plug into the xbox? and is it included when you buy it? I'm lookin at getting the 250gb model

It comes with a basic headset and this plugs into the controller.You could do worse than check out Adverts.ie for a 2nd hand 250gb Slim and save your self some cash.If you are into racing games then Forza3 is essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's still safe to buy xbox, as mentioned above, there were false rumors about new one.

Game wise:

Forza 3 - I find it better then gt5, but that's matter of taste. You can get it cheap these days.

Shift 2 - great game, a bit less simian then gt5 or forza, but in a good way.

Shooters: bad company 2, bioshock 1 And 2.

I was newer fan of halo series, but they say it's good, so it might be fun for you? Goes cheaply too.

I guess no point recommend any multiplatform games as you will have them, as you got ps3 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

chin_grin wrote: »
    1. Nope, there was rumours about a new one in development but they turned out to be false.

They didn't, but it's very very early stages. As in Microsoft are hiring electronic engineers to design the system. A new console is a ways off yet :D

• Advertisement

They didn't, but it's very very early stages. As in Microsoft are hiring electronic engineers to design the system. A new console is a ways off yet :D

Ah right, just saw this though.

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-says-next-gen-xbox-rumors-are-total-fabrication--200564.phtml
    An ANONYMOUS SOURCE from within the bowels of Electronic Arts has allegedly stated that the next iteration of Microsoft's Xbox console is in the hands of developers. Again with Microsoft being unable to let other systems take all the headlines.

According to the report, the new system was delivered to EA last month in a temporary PC case. That's pretty much all there is, except for an extra comment from a Eurogamer source that says an E3 reveal for the system is "highly unlikely."

But in chimes EA itself, with corporate spokesman Jeff Brown shooting down the rumor to Industry Gamers saying: "This story is a total fabrication – 100 percent not true."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Windedprism

Not to late in the cycle at all, in fact now is the best time.Battlefield 3,Gears 3 and MW3 all out in november.Bad Company 2 still has lots of players online as of course Black Ops.Forza 3 Ultimate(with all dlc) is real cheap although the community there is much smaller now.You'll still get a game though.
    We've just set up a new 18+ community if you're interested and host weekly game nights on a variety of games from Reach.Gears 2,Bad Company 2.Forza 3 etc.
    Check us out on the link below,we're mostly based around the Uk and Ireland and we have a dedicated forum as well,well friendly bunch.

http://xbox-life.webs.com/

ok yeah forza 3 looks good and I'll pass on buying 2nd consoles privately, I know how dodgy that is because I sold a yellow light ps3 to someone haha

ok yeah forza 3 looks good and I'll pass on buying 2nd consoles privately, I know how dodgy that is because I sold a yellow light ps3 to someone haha

That was kind of a d!ck thing to do to be honest.

I guess no point recommend any multiplatform games as you will have them, as you got ps3 now.

yeah mate exactly, you're hitting the nail on the head there!

• Advertisement

Well yes and no. I did get it fixed first then sold it

Well yes and no. I did get it fixed first then sold it

Ah right, should've explained that bit.......My apologies so.

eh not so fast there, I was told by the guy who fixed it that it would eventually break again and sooner rather than later. So when I got a call a month and a half later.......
    but hey I dont care the guy who bought it was an asshole that tried to pay less than we had already agreed when he eventually found my house after I had to go out and find him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

Forza 3 is a must if your into racers, Also recomend flashpoint red river as a shooter, savage game!

neilboard wrote: »
    Forza 3 is a must if your into racers, Also recomend flashpoint red river as a shooter, savage game!

Compared to other shooters, I'd have to disagree.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/operation-flash-point-red-river/index.html

It`s personal preference. The previous flashpoint had pure reviews but I thought it was great. It`s a different style of shooter.

After a bit of research and help from you guys!
    Here's a list of stuff I think would do the trick:
    New xbox 360 250gb slim (I have to use wifi in my house), Forza 3 ultimate, Halo Reach, Gears 2, Ace Combat 6, 12 months of live and charge kit.
    Reckon I need anything else?

In reply to some of you, I already have a ps3 and a good few current multiplatform games such as f12010, blops and bfbc2 so wont be buying them twice.

chin_grin wrote: »
    It`s personal preference. The previous flashpoint had pure reviews but I thought it was great. It`s a different style of shooter.

Can't make my mind up about that series in general, I love codemasters but I've heard some horrid reviews, would have to play a demo first before I would consider a purchase tbh

one game I wouldn`t get is bulletstorm, bought this and found it boring and repetative by the end!

one game I wouldn`t get is bulletstorm, bought this and found it boring and repetative by the end!

yeah I saw the ads on tv and was like wtf is that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bulletstorm has been the most fun I've had with a shooter in a long, long time. A fantastic game. It's a refreshing step away from the "by the numbers with zero innovation" that is CoD and the likes.

I'd recommend you get yourself some MS Points too and browse the XBox Live Arcade for some real treats. Deathspank, Castle Crashers, Toy Soldiers, Shadow Complex, Defence Grid, Carcassonne and Catan are all Arcade games I play regularly.

Kharn wrote: »
    Bulletstorm has been the most fun I've had with a shooter in a long, long time. A fantastic game. It's a refreshing step away from the "by the numbers with zero innovation" that is CoD and the likes.

I'd recommend you get yourself some MS Points too and browse the XBox Live Arcade for some real treats. Deathspank, Castle Crashers, Toy Soldiers, Shadow Complex, Defence Grid, Carcassonne and Catan are all Arcade games I play regularly.

Point taken but I don't like these "mini" games, their place is on phones and handhelds not proper console imo.

Going on a bit of a tangent, what's the issue with cod? Why must everyone be all "oh no another medal of duty: modern battlefield". If people like those games and you don't then don't play them. I will freely admit that cod games in particular are repetitive and often stupid but they're also fun. Plus there are plenty of games that I hate that other people love. I hate all the Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy and Fallout games because they're boring and **** in my opinion.

Back on topic for once! Where should I buy? I prefer brick and mortar shops and having been in game recently they seem to have good deals but can anyone think of somewhere better? possibly a place that would haggle a price?

I got my 360 in hmv and was the cheapest at the time, don`t know now though!

Damn that was the obvious place! Will have to check it out

Advertisement